classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
983 messages Options
1 ... 567891011 ... 50
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

Rj1972
I skied at GP Saturday, Sunday, and today. What an interesting three days. Today was by far the best in my book, albeit the 12 degree temp. I was almost going to throw in the towel and head to Vermont after the slop on Saturday, but I'm glad I stayed.

Snowmaking is cranking everywhere--Karyotis, Meadows, Marathon, Alpha, Parkapalooza, Poseidon, and the top half of Mars.

Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
I skiied today for the first time since Sunday. What a difference a few days makes! Firm and fast, steepest pitches had quite a few areas scraped to boilerplate. A tight line near the trail edges on the steepest parts found the best snow while the lower half was good from edge to edge. We really need some natural snow for conditions to improve but there isn't much hope from the forecast...
They are still blowing  snow on Hercules and the terrain park (and hopefully Mars Hill). I hope they go back to freshen up the trails off the quad. They need it!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Pro and I banged around the hill yesterday until noon --- firm and fast is still the ticket

Felt good to make some turns
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
 today was an interesting day at Greek. I got out there first thing this morning, as I knew they were going to have a race on the Odyssey. Conditions were pretty good, albeit thin in spots.

Chair four did not open until after 9 o'clock, as the top lift attendant did not show up for work until 9 o'clock. Visions also broke down for a while which backed things up.

I took a long lunch, and then headed back out for some late afternoon turns, however, it was really starting to get scraped. I don't look forward to the warm weather and rain coming this week. The coverage is very minimal as it is. I'll hit it early tomorrow, and then head out around lunch time, as I need to head back home.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Greek Peak will be closed tomorrow, February 3rd, due to the weather.

frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
Both mad river glen and bromley just announced that they are closing for several days due to shitstorm.                                              
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I understand why MRG is closing, but I thought that Bromley had adequate snowmaking to be able to withstand a typical ec thaw.  I do see why they'd close while it was actually r*ining as no one would come and they'd lose money, but most mountains are open the day after it r*ins.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Yeah, I was surprised to see Bromley close. They have a fairly descent snowmaking system and client base. Although there will likely be few people patronizing Bromley in a rain storm, and likely little revenue as a result, it doesn't bode well from a marketing/PR standpoint to be closed for skiing in February.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Just looking at the GP webcam. Looks like its gonna be pretty ugly when this rain is done...
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
pro2860 wrote
Just looking at the GP webcam. Looks like its gonna be pretty ugly when this rain is done...
They didn't have much of a base before the warm/rain, so hopefully there is something remaining before temps drop tomorrow evening. The upper and lower Iliad, Alcmene, Upper Mars, Castor Connect, and Trojan were already thin on Sunday.

They are hoping to re-open East this weekend, but if they lose Upper Mars, they will have to shuttle people.

Camelback has 100% of their mountain open today, and Blue Mountain has all but three trails open. Snowmaking upgrades at Greek needs to be a priority in the future.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
While on lunch I drove by and was pleasantly surprised as to how she help up. I think they'll need to get the guns going again to freshen things up, but we'll be just fine.
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
LOL good luck with that
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Glad to hear that, Camp. It's always tough to judge the mountain conditions from the web cam. It looks like the worst is now over.
Reply | Threaded
|

WillSki4Beer
Was at Greek this morning, did laps mostly on Eylsian Fields, Stoic. Karyatis Wa, Lower Pollux also had snow. As to be expected after the rain Wed, machine groomed loose granular heading towards spring conditions. It was decent all things considered. They were grooming where they could, including Hercules, and were setting up guns on Illiad. Should be better by the weekend.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Guns were going on Illiad this morning
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
Guns were going on Illiad this morning
Thank goodness!
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote
Camelback has 100% of their mountain open today, and Blue Mountain has all but three trails open. Snowmaking upgrades at Greek needs to be a priority in the future.
and blue is really 100% open less the "glades" and a few trails closed for upcoming race and border/skiercross prep. sucks as i need to get out of there and get a gp fix but conditions just don;t justify the trip
Reply | Threaded
|

Turd Ferguson
Hopefully they blew enough snow last night to improve conditions somewhat.  As of early evening, loose granular had mostly been replaced with scraped down ice and hardpack...and dirt.  Mid-week is starting to look like favorable conditions for making snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Pure speculation....

I think we'll see them blow when they can up until Prez Weekend then let the chips fall where they may. It's getting late in the year to be pumping snow imo.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Sounds about right Camp. What an f'd up season.
1 ... 567891011 ... 50