classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
983 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 50
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
Yea, beers went up. Still one helluva deal at 4bucks/pounder.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Much better than the 7.50 we paid at the SU basketball game Tuesday night!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Dome Foam
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Yea, beers went up. Now pretty normal pricing at 4bucks/pounder.
I fixed that for you campy.

Looks like you should have an good day Saturday, and a shitshow on Sunday. Enjoy!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Really?? 4bucks is the norm at ski areas? I seem to remember paying like 6-7bucks at Stowe last year for Bush Light, and seem to remember the same at Whiteface. Doesn't really matter cause it's beer and I'll drink it whatever they cost.

Yea, it's gonna be bad this weekend. I've got other shit to do anyway. Actually, I haven't even skied yet. Kinda waiting for it to snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
Really?? 4bucks is the norm at ski areas? I seem to remember paying like 6-7bucks at Stowe last year for Bush Light, and seem to remember the same at Whiteface. Doesn't really matter cause it's beer and I'll drink it whatever they cost.

Yea, it's gonna be bad this weekend. I've got other shit to do anyway. Actually, I haven't even skied yet. Kinda waiting for it to snow.
Ski area? I thought it was a bar that had a ski area! 6 to 7 for Bush light...yikes. I think we paid like $6 for pints of local craft brew at Alta last year.

I wouldn't wait if I were you...ski if there's a halfway decent opportunity. Seems like Greek got some trails open, Saturday should be ok.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
HAHA, it's a ski area with a cool bar. Actually, if you recall Gatherings, that place just got sold and I believe will be opening again in the spring. That's a cool building --- I hope the new owners make it.

I'm working Saturday so no skiing for me this weekend. With any luck they'll fire the guns back up on Monday so I'll give it a go Tuesday if it looks like there's snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
That's good news about the Gatherings. I hate to see local businesses go under. Let's hope it's a success this go around.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote
That's good news about the Gatherings. I hate to see local businesses go under. Let's hope it's a success this go around.
That place is like a lot of other things around here in CNY, bigger isn't always better. If it was still similar to the original Rafters imo it would still be open and profitable.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I also feel that if the Gatherings were located on the other side of GP, it may bode better.  Location, location, location.

On a different note, I skied GP on Saturday, and coverage was far better than I had expected (albeit Alcmene was quite thin). They did a beautiful job laying down a base on Castor, which I took a handful of runs on in the afternoon after the main mountain got sloppy. They did not groom, so it was already a bit messy in the AM, but I was pleased for my first day at the Peak.

The rain pounded extremely hard Saturday night, so I slept in and took a leisurely drive back home Sunday morning. I was quite surprised when I peeked at the web cam this morning and saw that the Iliad held up. It really rained hard for quite some time.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote
I also feel that if the Gatherings were located on the other side of GP, it may bode better.  Location, location, location.

Agree. Amazing what 3 short miles down the same road would do for that place.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
SOME IDIOT POSTED THIS ON GP FACEBOOK:
(claims he could see bare spots on the open trails - BS)

""""guarentee they had to make snow on Castor, they didn't have a very good base to begin with coming into that warm spell, we were up there Saturday tubing with the Boy Scouts and you could already see bare spots on the mountain on the trails they had open. However the weather looks in our favor so they will get things shaped up ....... I don't buy a pass anymore so just not cost effective for me to ski at Greek till they get some more terrain open.""""

I skied Greek on Saturday 11 to 4 pm and there was absoutley no bare spots on the open trails!
Illid, Alchemene, Elysian Fields, Meadow, Stoic, Castor and beginners.
Reply | Threaded
|

Turd Ferguson
I skied 745-3 on Saturday, the conditions were not great, but if I'm skiing, I won't be complaining about it.  Made it halfway up the lift for the first run and it started sprinkling.  Fields and Iliad were very fast at the beginning of the day, I didn't head over to lift 2 until after lunch.  Rain passed, temps warmed up, and fields turned to somewhat mashed potatoes, littered with small ruts, most likely left by people skidding down after realizing there were no greens accessible from the top of the quad.  I thought Castor was in the best condition of the open runs.  It's nice to finally have this to look forward to on the weekend, hopefully this weeks forecast helps them out a little bit.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by Big D
Big D - maybe he was referring to after the rain on Sunday? Seemed like that may have created some bare places on the open trails.

I'm sure GP will be in decent shape by this weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by Turd Ferguson
They did not groom on Saturday, but coverage was better than I expected. Castor was probably in the best shape of the lot. Although I did not ski on Sunday, the snow definitely receded by the time I left around lunch time. I wouldn't be surprised if Alcmene got wiped out because it had minimal coverage on Saturday, but other than the very top of the Iliad, it should have held up--especially if they used Snomax, as the additive really helps protect the ice crystal.    
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
looks like a bit of snow there now on the webcams
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
I just went up and picked up my pass. It looks good from the base. They are blowing on Odyssey now....
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Dallas blows!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Glad to hear they are blowing on the Odyssey.

On an aside, I noticed on Saturday that they now have valet parking in the drop off area. I often thought that they could turn the parking area behind the white collapsable structure (locker room) into a paid lot. However, valet is an interesting idea that I've seen at much larger resorts, so it will be interesting to see if it's a success.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Rj1972 wrote
Glad to hear they are blowing on the Odyssey.

On an aside, I noticed on Saturday that they now have valet parking in the drop off area. I often thought that they could turn the parking area behind the white collapsable structure (locker room) into a paid lot. However, valet is an interesting idea that I've seen at much larger resorts, so it will be interesting to see if it's a success.
Seriously? Valet parking at GP?

Oh my dayum.

Maybe the resort fee covers that. If they keep that shit up I won't ever go back.
1 ... 3456789 ... 50