classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
84 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: I Take It All Back

MikeK
Banned User
I'm not too worried about sno.  Or any of my other friends who only ski at resorts.

My second set of remarks was only merely to point out that plenty of conditions for virgin powder and no crowds in the east, but few take part in it.  That is probably preferred by those who do.  Don't say it doesn't exist though - because it surely does if you know where to look and you are willing to work for it.

I've never been out west, but from all the accounts I hear, it just seems easier to ski off-piste, ski big terrain or avoid hordes of people.

The place I usually ski is pretty beat by 1pm on a weekend unless you are on a green run.

And yeah, I think one should use the right tool for the job.  That comment was in only in reference to ski mountaineering.  As much as I'd love to be able to ski any mountain, I know my limitations...

My 'real' skier comments are still jokes.  But I did mean some truth when I said the true die hard skiers would ski whether there were lifts or not.  We've all witnessed the end of the season poachers.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
For anyone deciding between Utah or Colorado, this video makes is easier.

I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
I found what I consider a pretty good deal on skiing at Snowbird.  A 5 night stay at The Cliff Lodge (which is ski on ski off), two 4 day lift tickets, and ground transportation to and from SLC cost 2,386 all together.  No need for a rental car and the only thing left to pay for is airfare.  Is that a reasonable price, or is it overpriced?  Speaking of airfare, I got lucky and my flight back from Montana/Wyoming has wifi, so I will be on a lot for the next 3 hours.
How is that a good price but i guess your dad is buying

The lodging is well over $300 a night
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by MikeK
MikeK wrote
I'm not too worried about sno.  Or any of my other friends who only ski at resorts.

My second set of remarks was only merely to point out that plenty of conditions for virgin powder and no crowds in the east, but few take part in it.  That is probably preferred by those who do.  Don't say it doesn't exist though - because it surely does if you know where to look and you are willing to work for it.

I've never been out west, but from all the accounts I hear, it just seems easier to ski off-piste, ski big terrain or avoid hordes of people.
Mike,
Sounds like we are kindred spirits. I don't ski the terrain I use to, I have more of a sense of mortality and I want to be able to be healthy to do things with my family. I have dialed back my risk taking.

Sno,
I have stayed at GMD, Cliff lodge, Snowpine and Rustler Lodge. All are nice and have their pluses and minuses. Cliff does not provide meals as part of the deal and you are locked into their places. The others include breakfast and dinner as part of the room.

I have also rented at Canyon Racquet club and rented houses in a Sandy. I have used a car as well as the bus system to get to the resorts. All of this works and it just depends on the type of vacation you want.

Now I usually stay in the University area with a friend who lives there and we explore the back country or drive up to Alta, of both. Last year conditions were pretty poor for there when I went. Most my days in the Daks were better than the 5 days I spent there. But so it goes, I get about one looser every 5 or 6 years.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
That video is ridiculous but the girl rips!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Z
I found a better deal at a hotel that is still ski on ski off for almost 1,000 dollars less coming in at 1,400 dollars for the same thing I mentioned before.  You ski free and get the 5th night free when you buy 4 nights.  Transportation to and from the airport is included as well.  This was at The Lodge at Snowbird.  It was for a room with mountain view which can only be viewed as a positive.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Chris@GORE wrote
Pretty soon this kid will be sporting teles loving the double on the Darkside with a beard decked out in black.
That's a hilarious mental image
a beard , hilarious
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Much better deal sno jump on that one.  Or look at Alta's lodges that come with meals which may seem expensive but with food factored in are good deals as well.  They would be nice father son bonding places.  Very old school but that probably is not your kind of thing given preference for chain hotels.

I gave stayed at the Cliff for a Psia event in the spring at much lower rates.  The entire thing is made from reinforced concrete so it's pretty ugly.  Great pool and hot tubs.  The sushi place on the top floor is good but really expensive.

Alta might be better for you as there very few blue groomers at SB and it does not snow everyday regardless what the Utah tourism brochures say.  Alta does have more blue skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Coach, I will let my dad know.  It was a limited time offer.  As for airfare, I found a nonstop flight on Delta Airlines for 501 a person from Newark, and flights that connect in Dallas on American Airlines for 362 a person also originating in Newark.  Which airline did you use?  My dad gets miles on American, but does not have a credit card that gives him more miles, and elite status perks like he has on United Airlines.  United has very few options to SLC, so we would need to fly on American or Delta.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
snoloco wrote
 Which airline did you use?  
Southwest is all I use to SLC. The afternoon flight home allows you to get an extra 1/2 day of skiing in and you don't have to pay extra to check your skis.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
If your dad is elite with united you should stick with them.  You would have to connect in either Chicago or Denver.  You bags fly free that way plus you might get upgraded.

I'm elite FF on us air and we connect in Philly to get to SLC
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I would like say that I think it takes a big man to take it all back.  Whatever it is.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
I think he would make a fantastic Jr. Ski Instructor in Training.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
There's a big difference between "wanting to ski" and "wanting to teach skiing"

That being said, becoming an instructor is one of the best ways to get really really good at skiing. There's probably an IIT program at Mountain Creek.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
I was thinking he could be your apprentice for a couple of seasons.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I think he should be under Z's tutelage, there is so much mutual respect between the two.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
PeeTex wrote
I think he should be under Z's tutelage, there is so much mutual respect between the two.
Lol.

I don't know if my "renegade instructor" career path is really the best thing to emulate, but I'd definitely show him a different side of skiing than it seems he's used to. Next time you're at Gore, sno, let me know.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
MC may be half kidding, but sno you should take him up on this.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Maybe you should save your Term Papers for English Class.

PS- MC is in NJ.