classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
104 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: I'm Not Happy (version 2.0)

SIAWOL
snoloco wrote
Just read off the Mountain Creek website "Updated 3:30pm, Bear Peak will be closed for race training from 3pm-8pm".  
How DARE they close a trail for race training on a Thursday night! It would make way more sense to close it mid-day on a Saturday!

Deal with it kid. Ski what you got, join the race team, or go ski somewhere else. Those are your choices.

Can it be frustrating when a trail is closed for racing? Sure. But I also rationalize it that all those kids are concentrated in one spot and lowers the skier density everywhere else. That seems worth it to me.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The thing about racing is...

"OK Mountain we have dozens of racers and their parents/family etc, we want to send them and their money all to your mountain and they only need one trail."

It's hard to turn that down.

You want more snowmaking, grooming, lodges whatever?  Send those racers away and raise ticket prices? Or...?  I also didn't read most of the OP, so maybe there is a logical solution enclosed, if so apologies.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Another good suggestion from that other Snoloco thread:
MikeK wrote
Might want to look into the Catskill 35.  It's close to you, good exercise and will get you acquainted with the mountains.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Harvey
They use only one trail, but close 2 complete trails and an entire lift.  If it was only one trail, this thread would not exist.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Just drive a few hours to the north to a place called Mount Snow, I hear that place is siiiick!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
I'm just gonna leave this here:

"it's all just skiing."

The linked article should be required reading before proceeding further with this thread.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
I agree with SBR. Good article nice find. All should read. As my Granddaughter says "it's all Good"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Nice article. Thanks for posting. Also I agree with the author 100%
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

jcamotts
In reply to this post by snoloco
Gave up on Creek a while ago. Too many "Park Rats" who are too cool to use poles.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Are you ever happy??

To me, Mt. Creek is a downhill MTB place, and winter is pretty much Hershey park all over again, but on Snow. Everyone's just there to have have fun, and goof off. Not to really ski. Drive upstate and ski in the real mountains of you want to avoid that nonsense. For best results, I suggest Plattekill. Sorry, they don't have HSQ's there, but they do have two badass Halls and empty trails. Also friendly people. Besides, what you spend on gas, you Will save on lift tickets.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In response to your mention of Plattekill's lifts:  

Halls are good lifts.  They just never die, even when almost 50 years old.  Hunter's Z-Lift (1971 Poma Double) gave up the ghost when the chair broke at the weld and the motor burned out.  It came out the following summe, replaced by the old Quad from the front side.  Meanwhile the E-Lift (1968 Hall Double) is still going strong and isn't on the replacement list at all.  If you're trying to buy a used lift, a Hall of some type would be a very good choice.

Older lifts from Doppelmayr and Poma (except the Z-Lift) also seem to hold up quite well.  Hunter's D-lift will be 50 years old next season and looks like it could easily run for another 20.  The original HSQ was repurposed and is currently holding down the West Side on its own and seems to run quite well.  That lift will be older than the original ADK Express in a couple years.  It did get upgraded over the years, but still the same lift.

The most poorly made lifts IMO are Borvig/Partek.  Mountain Creek scrapped a bunch that weren't even 30 years old back in 1998.  They kept only 2 of them and the rest were replaced with 4 Doppelmayrs and one Partek.  One more lift died in 2010 and didn't get replaced for 2 years as it died unexpectedly.  They replaced it with a Partek double in 2012.  This is it's 4th season and its already been down for maintenance 3 days this year, and it opened for the first time on 1/21.  Their last remaining Borvig is a 1981 triple which is in horrible condition and runs terribly, even though it's one and only job is to back up the cabrio lift if there's too much wind.  Hunter's D-lift is 15 years older and got an upgrade the same year, but still runs a thousand times better.  It's likely being taken out after this season and being replaced with a Doppelmayr detachable chairlift (either a 4 or 6).
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Sno,
As you continue your college search, you seriously need to capitalize on your expertise and passion for the mechanics of chairlifts. Please pursue some sort of math or engineering.
GSM
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Goreskimom wrote
Sno,
As you continue your college search, you seriously need to capitalize on your expertise and passion for the mechanics of chairlifts. Please pursue some sort of math or engineering.
GSM
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
The only things you're an expert at are popping zits and bitching on internet forums.
Based on this intel maybe dermatology is a viable option?
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Goreskimom
You got that right my friend! I'm currently studying Mechatronics at SUNY Delhi located in the northern Catskills. Mechatronics is a multidisciplinary field of applied engineering in which we study mechanics, electronics, and computers. I will one day be installing the most high tech chairlifts around the world. Or possibly automated snowmaking systems. I already have some ideas for Plattekill that I will implement myself that will ultimately save them money in Snowmaking payroll.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Ethan Snow wrote
You got that right my friend! I'm currently studying Mechatronics at SUNY Delhi located in the northern Catskills. Mechatronics is a multidisciplinary field of applied engineering in which we study mechanics, electronics, and computers. I will one day be installing the most high tech chairlifts around the world. Or possibly automated snowmaking systems. I already have some ideas for Plattekill that I will implement myself that will ultimately save them money in Snowmaking payroll.
^Now here's a "kid" who's doing it right. Very cool, Ethan!
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Thank you, Cornelius. I try my bset. It's not easy though. The mechanical stuff has way to much math involved. I just like to build things.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Ski mom, do I know you? How did you know I have an passion in the mechanics of chairlift? See above. I am studying in a related feild.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Ski mom, do I know you? How did you know I have an passion in the mechanics of chairlifts? See above. I am studying in a feild of engineering. Although engineering is not all it's cracked up to be which is why I'm in The Mechatronics. Also, how did you know I was searching for a college? Fyi, I'm not really "searching" I'm already in college. Thanks for your support!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by snoloco
Snowloco,
Halls are hands down the best chair lifts.  Although leitner ropeways, (now Leitner-poma I think, all those relations confuse me) makes some great lifts as well. Hence hunters HSQ now located on the back. But they made nice fixies too. Unfortounately Hall went out of business in 1998, and at this point all the used Halls have been called for. Mountains that own them love them, and are planning on running them until they die. That leaves me with little hope for getting my hands on one. When Woodstream relocates, and it comes time to invest in a chairlift, I will most likely either be looking for a used Poma fixie or purchasing new. My understanding is that Doppelmayr makes a good lift these days as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
I, just realized that Ski mom was talking to snowloco. Not "Ethan snow". Oh well. Anyway. I guess I have a passion for chair lifts too. And my screen name is snow.