classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
176 messages Options
1 ... 56789
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ideas for Ski Area Improvements

Ethan Snow
Sketchup Works on PC, I used to have a PC desktop that I ran it on.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
How a bout a resort that kicks out the gapers/jongs? Think Planet Fitness with the lunk alarm. No asshole rule anyone? Yeah, that'd be great. Mmmkay?

I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by snoloco

Here is the topography import I was talking about. You can put stuff all over the mountain, color in new trails, and everything. You know what mountain this is? FYI, three of the four have tower guns mounted top to bottom, and the ultimate goal is to be able to run two slopes wide open simultaneously when the water supply is finished.

I think you could have a lot of fun wit this software, and the free version is actually very capable   http://www.sketchup.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw8u23BRCg6YnzmJmPqYgBEiQALf_XzZQR-tzV7DSi5rWxKIrhZDqYVqf1rIjhUGtcWsoEguMaAmEb8P8HAQ
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Ethan Snow wrote
You know what mountain this is?
That would be Plattekill.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
My ad for my proposed first tracks/breakfast deal at Gore.  Sound like it would be a good experience?  Am I a good marketer?

Start your morning off right and be the first on the mountain for the day!!  On Saturday, Sunday and Holiday mornings, or 45 dollars per person per day, you get exclusive access to select terrain and a gourmet breakfast at the Straightbrook Summit Lodge.

How it works:  Purchase First Tracks access online and load it onto your RFID card, or visit any ticket window at the resort.  Load the gondola at 7:15am and get access to the Topridge and Straightbrook lifts, plus the trails they serve before they open to the public.  Start out with a leisurely cruise down Cloud with beautiful views, or tackle the bumps and steep pitch of The Rumor.  If tree skiing is your thing, be the first in any of over 5 glades included in the First Tracks terrain, conditions permitting.  When you get hungry, stop by the Straightbrook Summit Lodge and scan your RFID card.  All you can eat is included until you leave the restaurant.  

Other Reminders:  

First Tracks terrain is for intermediate and advanced skiers and snowboarders only.  

There is a limit of 200 First Tracks tickets each day.  On powder days especially, sell-outs are common, so online reservations are recommended.

Early access is to terrain off the Topridge and Straightbrook lifts only.  All other sections are closed until public opening at 8:00am.  If you ski or ride into these areas, you may encounter groomers, snowmaking, etc.  You'll also have to wait until 8am for a lift out.  

In the event of inclement weather, or factors that prevent any of the lifts used from operating, First Tracks will be cancelled.  If you purchased a ticket, you will have the choice of switching to another day, or receiving a full refund.

PS the 3rd picture came from ADK Jeff's blog.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Should be a huge hit with local season pass holders that can't afford it.

In that picture of the skier in purple the boulder in the far right down slope needs a step up jump lip to tap the top of the boulder. Looks like a rad move.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Idea is to try and get some of the southern Vermont "money is no object" crowd to pay for the other upgrades.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
snoloco wrote
Idea is to try and get some of the Mt snoloco "money is no object" crowd to pay for the other upgrades.
FIFY.

For the life of me I can't figure out why I care that some kid on the internet wants to turn Gore into Stratton.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I guess I didn't realize that money was no object in southern Vermont.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
snoloco wrote

Other Reminders:  

First Tracks terrain is for intermediate and advanced skiers and snowboarders only. You really don't make tracks as that requires snow and we average like 27" a year.

There is a limit of 200 First Tracks tickets each day.  So don't worry we only sell like 4 to gapers who want 1st crack at the ice

Early access is to terrain off the Topridge and Straightbrook lifts only. You and your select friends will get to enjoy the tranquility and screeching  sounds of sliding on ice.  All other sections are closed until public opening at 8:00am giving the Zamboni enough time to complete it's task.  If you ski or ride into these areas, you may encounter pristine ice and blaring snow guns which we provide free ear plugs for.    

In the event of inclement weather, or factors that prevent any of the lifts used from operating, First Carve will be cancelled.  If you purchased a ticket you're a moron as we are closed so you're shit out of luck.
FIFY
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Should be a huge hit with local season pass holders that can't afford it.
Just tell me how to sign up for the citizen-taxpayer/class action to prevent this. Maybe we can join Sno' as a defendant
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
snoloco wrote
PS the 3rd picture came from ADK Jeff's blog.
That glade is not open to the public.  Just sayin'...

Sno, seriously you should pursue a career in ski area management.

Even though I don't think this would be a good fit for Gore, you made a great pitch.  Plus it sure would be nice to have an actual bathroom at the summit so the ladyfolks don't have to head down when they don't want to squat in a door-less outhouse or behind a tree.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by skimore
Gore gets 130 inches of natural snow a year, not 27, so you're wrong.  Upper elevation glades are often in play in a decent year.  Low elevation glades, not so much.  Low elevation trails, almost never.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
snoloco wrote
  Upper elevation glades are often in play in a decent year.  Low elevation glades, not so much.  Low elevation trails, almost never.
Didn't know you were angling for 1st shot at the stumps and rocks

What's the operational costs for opening a mountain  1hr early?
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
skimore wrote
What's the operational costs for opening a mountain  1hr early?
It is free - the revenue is all gravy.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
They're already opening at some point anyways, so the costs to open 3 lifts 45 minutes early would only be the extra cost of running them for that amount of time longer and paying the lifties that much longer.  I figure you only need 1 ticket checker at the gondola, someone to group/load, plus someone in the bottom and top shacks, and that's what is needed early, the rest of the crew comes for public opening.  I believe Topridge and Straightbrook run with 3 lifties each, so that's a total of 10 lifties needed early.  Figuring they're paid 10 dollars an hour, that's 75 dollars in extra pay needed.  That is paid for in 2 tickets.  Then there's whatever it costs to run the lifts for that time.  That's not very easy to calculate, but let's say it's 300 dollars extra in electrical costs for that period of time.  That's 375 dollars for the skiing part of it, which can be paid for in 9 tickets.  Not sure how much running a high-profit restaurant at a ski lodge would cost them for an extra 45 minutes.  Breakfast would be served at public opening as well, but would cost extra, while it would be included for First tracks.  I'd think it would break even if they sold 50 First Tracks tickets and the rest pocketed.

For me, I'd totally pay for first tracks if it was handled this way, especially on a powder day.  I'm at the ski area for opening anyways, and I have to have breakfast at some point.  Instead of taking time to have it before leaving for the ski area, just get dressed and leave and have it at the ski area.  It also gets you out of the base area early, which gets crowded on powder days.  I'd load the gondola early, ski some runs on the upper mountain, hopefully some fresh powder, and then have a big breakfast around 9:30-10.  Then I'd be able to ski straight through lunch till around 2 and I'd get a snack then to hold me till dinner.  I'd hit every section, eventually ending by taking some laps on the ADK Express.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I like this First Tracks idea. What do you think about a cutters line too, maybe pay an extra couple bucks so you don't have to wait in line with the plebes? That'd be cool. I figure with a first tracks and cutter pass you could get a lot of laps in. Maybe Gore could also make an app where you could place your lunch order with a pre-connected credit card, and they bring it out to the chair for you so you can whip around and eat your burger on the lift without waiting. I'm sure Centerplate would love that, it'd be a limited menu because they'd want to package everything of course no substitutions, ie Burger, Fries, Road Soda $30.

Maybe they could also have reward points, use a certain hashtag and earn points for food discounts or cutting privileges. That'd be sweet promo right there, and then you could get really marketable connected young people documenting the mountain everywhere. No such thing as bad press.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
snoloco wrote
They're already opening at some point anyways, so the costs to open 3 lifts 45 minutes early would only be the extra cost of running them for that amount of time longer and paying the lifties that much longer.  I figure you only need 1 ticket checker at the gondola, someone to group/load, plus someone in the bottom and top shacks, and that's what is needed early, the rest of the crew comes for public opening.  I believe Topridge and Straightbrook run with 3 lifties each, so that's a total of 10 lifties needed early.  Figuring they're paid 10 dollars an hour, that's 75 dollars in extra pay needed.  That is paid for in 2 tickets.  Then there's whatever it costs to run the lifts for that time.  That's not very easy to calculate, but let's say it's 300 dollars extra in electrical costs for that period of time.  That's 375 dollars for the skiing part of it, which can be paid for in 9 tickets.  Not sure how much running a high-profit restaurant at a ski lodge would cost them for an extra 45 minutes.  Breakfast would be served at public opening as well, but would cost extra, while it would be included for First tracks.  I'd think it would break even if they sold 50 First Tracks tickets and the rest pocketed.

For me, I'd totally pay for first tracks if it was handled this way, especially on a powder day.  I'm at the ski area for opening anyways, and I have to have breakfast at some point.  Instead of taking time to have it before leaving for the ski area, just get dressed and leave and have it at the ski area.  It also gets you out of the base area early, which gets crowded on powder days.  I'd load the gondola early, ski some runs on the upper mountain, hopefully some fresh powder, and then have a big breakfast around 9:30-10.  Then I'd be able to ski straight through lunch till around 2 and I'd get a snack then to hold me till dinner.  I'd hit every section, eventually ending by taking some laps on the ADK Express.

Keep dreaming with all those numbers you threw out there. The true cost of an employee is nowhere near what they get paid. Also you stated your trying to attract the upscale crowd, but now running a bare bones opening. What about Octavius and Buffy who expect valet parking and being able to get a latte at the base. Never mind that your likely to sell 50 tickets maybe one day at best
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
I like this First Tracks idea. What do you think about a cutters line too, maybe pay an extra couple bucks so you don't have to wait in line with the plebes?
I'm fine with extras where you get more of something that you already have to pay for, but don't affect the experience for others much, if at all.  Paid First Tracks on select terrain, yes, line cutting, no.  When you cut the line, you make everyone else in line wait one chair longer.  If you pay for First Tracks, you get to ski early and track out 2 sections before the public.  The people who didn't pay for First Tracks still get first tracks on all the sections not used by those who did.

Skimore:  On powder days, it would most certainly sell out.  You don't have to hike or stand in line to get the goods.  Steamboat offers something similar and it does sell out on powder days.  They could start offering valet parking too.  It doesn't affect those who don't pay because they park the cars remotely instead of taking the close parking spaces.  Imagine driving up the access road and passing Lot H and seeing that every car there is a Mercedes or BMW.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
I Maybe Gore could also make an app where you could place your lunch order with a pre-connected credit card, and they bring it out to the chair for you so you can whip around and eat your burger on the lift without waiting.
that would be sweet

1 ... 56789