Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JUNIOR PROM ADVICE FOR JUNIOR?

Brownski
JasonWx wrote
No means NO
from the father of 2 daughters
This at least he knows. I don’t think we need to worry about that at least. He may be unable to speak and have to hide out of shyness...
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by witch hobble
Maybe his dad should show him how to roll a tight one.  He would be the coolist kid at the prom.  

If he has a date in the back of his mind he wants to get with her.  

Open the door for her.  Hold her hand. Let her walk if front of him.  Be super polite. his friends may laugh. Even if she is not into him another girl will notice.   Drop it on her belly
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
Tips for all teenagers:

1. Be confident - If you aren't confident, just fake it. People are remarkably bad at distinguishing fake confidence from actual confidence. Teenagers are even worse.

2. Be comfortable - Chill out and be comfortable in any situation. If you aren't comfortable, fake it or put yourself into a situation where you are comfortable.

3. Do things that you're good at - If it's dancing, do that. If it's party organization, do that. If it's small talk, do that. Hell, if it's shooting pool, try to get a bunch of people to go to the pool hall after so you can do your thing. When you do things you're good at, it helps you with #1 & #2 and people like people with skills.

4. Wear something interesting. Not "outlandish", not "ridiculous", but interesting. Maybe cool shoes or a creative pocket square
 Try to stand out a bit in a sea of blandness and stupidity.

Also, I disagree with DB. If you're trying to get a girl, do #1, #2, & #3. If she's into it, you'll know, and you can act accordingly. If she's not, don't waste your time trying to win her over with bullshit advice like "pretend she's the only one in the room". Kids these days call people like that "Stage 5 clingers" and consider it creepy.

Brownski's son has the right idea, call it "a group of friends", talk to a bunch of different girls, let the chips fall, and try to hook up with the girl who is most into you at the end of the night. High school is not for being too selective - it's for learning what women like, what type of women you like, and how to put those things together so you can go into college with a little more game.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
Drop it on her belly

you crack me up
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Who are you Brett Kavanaugh? 
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Sometimes you gotta go old school.  A vape pen or a dab rig would be a lot harder to smuggle in than a spliff!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
tjf1967 wrote
Who are you Brett Kavanaugh?
At the risk of turning this too political, I did not say: "Get drunk, attempt sexual assault, then lie about a bunch of stuff 40 years later on your way to a Supreme Court seat"

I also don't recommend attempting the Devil's Triangle.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
Does he have a date?  Does he like her?

If so....
- treat her like she's the only one in the room
- have some self-respect (esp. if she isn't into you as much)
- start understanding that, as you get older, that the repercussions are not necessarily proportional with your actions.  The planet is full of examples.
This is very solid work. I think it applies whether he likes her or not.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
OK BACK OFF I love this thread!  
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Sometimes you gotta go old school.  A vape pen... would be a lot harder to smuggle in than a spliff!
Yes, tiny, uncrushable technology that doesn't really smell is much less convenient and inconspicuous than lighting a thing on fire, burning a plant with a completely obvious odor.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Tell your son not to listen to douchebags that might advise him to not be too selective and to get with whatever girl might be into him at the end of the night, so that he can get some game before he goes off to college, to presumably not respect women or himself while there.  I’m not sure what kind of lowlife cretin would give such advice, but I’m sure they still exist, and they are not quality people.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
OK BACK OFF I love this thread!  
+1
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Harvey
I’m grateful for the actionable advice. For reasons I’m not at liberty to discuss junior won’t be able to use ALL of the ideas here.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
As a dad get him some small gifts to give her through the night.  Chocolate Kisses. Cheap pendent with the date on it.  Have him give them to her throughout the night.  Tell him to be nice and genuine about it.  He is bringing a girl to the prom treat her like a lady.  If she does not go for him one of the other ladies will be impressed.  He does not even need to talk much.  Just hand them to her every couple hours and tell her thanks for being his date.  Then go back to being quite.   Junior I know you are looking.  It may be embarrassing but suck it up. It will pay dividends for years.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
JTG4eva! wrote
, to presumably not respect women or himself while there.
I see that you're employing the "put words into people's mouth" strategy over here, too.

Pretty awesome way to argue...  If you're a giant dumbass who doesn't have any faith in his own arguments.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
tjf1967 wrote
As a dad get him some small gifts to give her through the night.  Chocolate Kisses. Cheap pendent with the date on it.  Have him give them to her throughout the night.  Tell him to be nice and genuine about it.  He is bringing a girl to the prom treat her like a lady.  If she does not go for him one of the other ladies will be impressed.  He does not even need to talk much.  Just hand them to her every couple hours and tell her thanks for being his date.
Is he trying to pick up girls or train a puppy?
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
No joke advice?

Well, because it doesn’t seem like he’s going with someone he’s into, and it’s a friends thing, I’d say just be yourself and don’t try too hard.  Be a gentleman at all times.  Tell her she looks nice, open and hold doors, get her drinks, ask her to dance at least once, and then follow her lead.  This may be a friend thing, but ultimately you want her or somebody else to take note of you for your personality, for your style, for your kindness....not for something that isn’t you, something you do just to get noticed.  This isn’t American Pie, or at least it shouldn’t be, IMHO.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
witch hobble wrote
In the 1970s - cool dude to look up to
Today - arrested for being a pedophile
Reply | Threaded
|