classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
518 messages Options
1 ... 20212223242526
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Killington Conditions

Rj1972
We're heading up in a bit.  Tomorrow will be our first day of the season.  It's looking to be a good one.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Our first Killington day since the Spring..

Look for us - we will the silly people with cameras!

Ha..

The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Anybody at K next week? I'll be up at some point Wednesday or Thursday... wife will be doing clinics all day
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Tele party on Wednesday night! I try not to miss it.

I'm trying to save vacation days for my out west trip, but I hope to ski on Wednesday or Thursday.

We shall see.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Plan is some xc at Blueberry Hill / Moosalamoo tomorrow afternoon, K Thursday & Friday. Will keep an eye out for you Thursday
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I'm on my way up now, so probably not skiing tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Warm blue sky day today.  Snow started to soften around 10am - especially on the Skye Peak part of the mountain.  Even had some "hero" moguls forming.  Amazing just how much is open.  Things started to firm up around 2pm which wasn't a big surprise given that it was the shortest day of the year and the sun doesn't get very high.

I'm really starting to warm up to Killington after an absence of 20 years.  It doesn't ski "big" (lots of small-medium peaks) but it's fun as hell!  Great staff as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
Back to K-Mart today.  Figured it would be crusty firm conditions but at 9am it started to snow and snowed heavy till the end.   Even at that the guys at K were still blowing snow everywhere.  Every run was better than the last.  Dipped into the glades and there's plenty underneath.  Great powder run under South Ridge lift.  Tomorrow should be great!

Kudos to Killington and its staff - cannot believe the effort that they put into keeping the area in top shape.  Also, the Snowdown 6-pack lift is great on cold days!
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
Day 2 - another 6" fell overnight and it was a great day on the mountain.  Hit the South Ridge lift run again for the first run...awesome.

Skied hard all morning - powder all over the place...

All the while Killington still blowing snow all over the place.  Hit some glades as well.  Legs totally fried by 3pm.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
It’s currently -11 and the wind is blowing. Thank goodness the lifts are on-hold, as it gives me an excuse not to go out in this craziness. I may actually get a little work done this morning, and see what Mother Nature has in store for us this afternoon.

It was unbelievably cold and windy last evening when I filled up the gas tank in the car.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Harvey
Just spent 3 days skiing at Killington . . .  what a great mountain.  Aside from some potential improvements in lift ticket pickup, tremendous professionalism and great organization shone through, from the website updates, to the parking lot attendants, the bus drivers, to the lodge staff, the friendly cafeteria workers, the courteous and helpful on-mountain personnel . . .  totally, totally impressed.  Snowmaking even with snowfall!!  

On to conditions . . .

Bear Mountain:  Great cover on Bear Claw, Wildfire, Skyeburst (snowmaking on Sunday), Outer Limits (chopped up on Friday, snowmaking all day Saturday, big whales of moguls on Sunday).  Did not ski Devils Fiddle.  

Skye Peak:  Really did not ski this mountain as we skipped over it to get to Bear each day.  Moguls on Needles Eye looked great (snowmaking).  Skyelark was scraped by end of day Friday but they were blowing snow on it all day Sunday.  Superstar just okay when I skied it on Friday, did not make it back.  Bittersweet good cover.

Killington Peak:  The Jug getting scraped down (relies on natural snow).  Pipe Dream natural bumps, scraped at bottom.  Bear Trax good cover, Launchpad good cover.  Homerun and Great Northern crossovers all have good cover.  East Fall good, Racer's Edge fun, Royal Flush was challenging natural cover on Friday.  Did not get a chance to do any of the double blacks on Killington as we were avoiding the crowds by staying away from the main gondola.

Snowdon Mountain:  Chute was pretty scraped on Saturday.  Lower intersection of Chute and Bunny Buster was a mess of fallen bodies all afternoon Saturday and Sunday.  Frolic is fun and windy, but big ice patches at the sharp turn off the peak.  Never got to those blacks dropping off Frolic.  

Ramshead Mountain:  Header has great cover.  Easy Street good cover.  Nice easy woods we really enjoyed.  (Crusty not powder, but skiable and fun for tree beginners.)  Did my first legit jump in Astroland, getting some air.  Even my daughter was impressed.  Not bad for 50.

This was our first trip to K, and our first multifamily trip (us, my sister's family, my wife's two sister's families, and my wife's cousin and kids -- about 24 people total, 20 of them skiers.)  We will be coming back.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Great stuff.  Glad you guys had fun.  I still haven’t made it to K town.  Nice to hear that the first trip out (with a big group no less) was fun.  

I will be in Stowe for late April, probably after the mountain closes so I am hoping to get to Sugarbush.   If not I will head to K town.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
How was it? Thinking of heading there Sunday and catching something Sunday night that will force me to be stranded until Monday depending on how this storm tracks
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Conditions were good. No complaints. Blue bird day yesterday, and a couple of hours this morning before the clouds moved in. It also was a little less crowded than usual today.

We stayed pretty much to the groomers, but folks were also skiing the trees.

They started pulling hoses off of Superstar today, but created quite an impressive stockpile. They generally halt making snow on Superstar March 1st. In fact, the quantity of snow may be a bit more than past years.

They also stockpiled some impressive mounds of snow by the six pack.

Not sure what we’re doing tomorrow. We have some friends at Okemo, which we haven’t seen in a bit, so may ski Okemo tomorrow.

It’s then Greek Peak for the next couple of weekends before coming back to Killington for the balance of the ski season.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Thanks for the report. Bailed on Sunday/Monday due to the storm track shifting way south.

Planning on heading there next weekend though provided it stays cold all this week, which looks like it will.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Epic day at big K today. Warm temps, sunshine, no wind, and great snow. Started the day in the Canyon lapping east fall, big dipper, and cascade. Then moved over to Bear and lapped devils fiddle with nice soft spring snow until my legs started to give out. Did a few runs on the south ridge, before finishing the day with soft snow on royal flush and the throne, and my mandatory superstar and ovation lap.

Amazing day overall. Non sun softened stuff had great snow, sun softened was primo corn harvesting. Especially on the fiddle.
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
Jealous beyond description!!!  I checked their trail conditions this morning and they are reporting 100% open - hoping it stays that way for a few weeks as I can't get up there until the last week of March at the earliest.  Devil's Fiddle plus soft snow = hero moguls...can't wait to try that out!  Glad you had a good day up there.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Kleetus
I'm sure it was , even Hunter was pretty epic..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Anyone been to Killington recently. Thinking of heading up Wednesday to end the season strong. Supposed to be a nice day. Should I expect to have the K-1 gondola and a few decent top to bottom runs, or is that too tall of an order?
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
1 ... 20212223242526