1 ... 34567
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Killington World Cup in Nov 2016?

Adk Jeff
Coach Z wrote
Sno if the WC was this year there definately would have been zero public skiing
If the WC was this year, I think they would have had a very difficult time pulling the event off at all.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Adk Jeff wrote
Coach Z wrote
If the WC was this year, I think they would have had a very difficult time pulling the event off at all.
You obviously have not been to Killington this year
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
83 acres open right now, i'm kind of blown away. It's been a miserably warm and rainy year so far and most places are barely open. K kind of rules.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
Adk Jeff wrote
Coach Z wrote
No I haven't, but they were closed for what, pretty much the whole first half of November due to warm temps?  That warm stretch would have been a crucial snowmaking period for a Thanksgiving WC event.  No matter how much snowmaking firepower you bring to the table, you can't make snow if it ain't cold.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Plus they are not blowing consumer snow.  The stuff they need is high water content which can't be blown at high temps easily.  And they would need it a week ahead of time when it was 60 degrees.  This is not lets blow a few inches at the last min kind of deal.  I'll stick with they might (and it's a coin flip kind of thing) have pulled it off but with no public skiing.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
Darkside Shaman wrote
Adk Jeff wrote
Coach Z wrote
No I haven't, but they were closed for what, pretty much the whole first half of November due to warm temps?  That warm stretch would have been a crucial snowmaking period for a Thanksgiving WC event.  No matter how much snowmaking firepower you bring to the table, you can't make snow if it ain't cold.
I'll say it again, if you haven't been there, you haven't a clue
Gotta go to know
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
it doesn't matter what it was like last weekend what matters was it was 60 degrees there just like it was here a week before the event would have happened.  we are not talking about putting a few inches of snow down for the public we are talking a world cup ski race.  It requires 4 feet of wet blown cement snow that is then water injected and froze solid.  

This is what it looks like right now there same as here - wet and brown.

The FIS has to make a decision about a week or two in advance so that the officials and teams don't all travel to a site of a event that may be cancelled.  They wont hesitate to cancel an event that early in the season that could be made up later.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Coach Z wrote
it doesn't matter what it was like last weekend what matters was it was 60 degrees there just like it was here a week before the event would have happened.

This is what it looks like right now there same as here - wet and brown.

The FIS has to make a decision about a week or two in advance so that the officials and teams don't all travel to a site of a event that may be cancelled.  They wont hesitate to cancel an event that early in the season that could be made up later.
Yes you are correct, but if's don't play a role in the FIS decision as to where an event is held. What is important to them, is can it happen, and with Big K, yes it can. And that is why they have scheduled the race.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Are all conservative Republicans such negative downers like the Coach?  I'm sure if WF had the balls or snowmaking prowess to try and get an FIS event on Thanksgiving, he'd be all for it!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
It's interesting that this has come and gone and did not work out. Just saying.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
83 acres open right now, i'm kind of blown away. It's been a miserably warm and rainy year so far and most places are barely open. K kind of rules.
We've had a lot of cold snaps up here despite the unseasonably warm temps and most nights are below zero. We've bottomed out in the teens overnight several times already. I am sure it is colder at elevation at K. I'm not surprised K has been able to expand quickly. SR is at 130 acres.

They've done incredibly well with what the weather gave them but I'd stop short of blown away... it has been cold up there quite a bit in recent weeks. The bigger issue if the WC was this year would have been prepping for it as they didn't get their first major cold snap until the weekend before Thanksgiving. They would not have been able to open before Thanksgiving and just stock piled snow at the top of SS if the WC was this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
Are all conservative Republicans such negative downers like the Coach?  
We need more Liberals like this

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
If she is representive of that generation we are truly screwed as a country

I think Kilkington is the only Eastern resort that could even attempt to pull this off and I certainly hope they are successful.  It would be a coin flip at best this Thanksgiving.  What I keep trying to say is this is a 11 on a scale of 1 to 10 difficulty.  

Poeple think of they can just blow for a few days and pull this off.  It doesn't work like that. It will need 4 feet on one trail.  It will take every gun they have for weeks if the temps are warm.  Sure they might then get to blow some other trails but the staff to do that will be all hands on deck getting that trail ready and stadium set up the b net put up etc etc.  my point is this year if they held the WC there would be no public skiing.  But you say they have 130 acres open but it's open with like 3 inches.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
K certainly can make enough snow. I don't see that as a problem. What they may run into is weather like we have right now..
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Z
Saw on FB today that this is confirmed for Nov 26 & 27; not sure if this is new news or just new to me.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
New to you, Brownski. It was confirmed last fall, I think. I am also hoping to make it up there with the family to watch the races. I think it should be a hoot!

What is new news is that Squaw Valley just recently was confirmed as a host for some races in March of 2017.

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
update on Killington

interesting that they said they need six days of snow making but not consecutive days as they must have to have some prep between days.

http://www.skiracing.com/premium/killington-prepares-to-kill-it-on-the-world-cup-circuit
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I went hiking on Wednesday after the rain, and they had signage promoting the World Cup hanging in a few places. Nothing was happening on Superstar, but there was some activity on the mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
They posted the map for the event.  Looks like K1 will be open during the event, but it appears that the setup completely blocks off Superstar.  They've already sold out the VIP tickets, Grandstands, and Preferred Parking, so it looks like the event will be huge.

http://www.killington.com/site/to-do/events-calendar/World-Cup/2_grandstand_venueMap.pdf

As for snowmaking, it will take 144 non consecutive hours of snowmaking to get the course ready.  This will be done with a temporary air system so that other terrain can be covered and be open to the public.  Most people that weekend will be watching the event and not skiing, so crowds shouldn't be an issue.  Parking will be limited to the Ramshead/Snowshed area and it looks like the connection between Snowshed and K1 will be blocked off.  You would have to come in through Ramshead and Snowdon.  

Before the event, terrain availability should be pretty normal.  Once the event ends, terrain availability should be above average for that time of year since all the terrain that was closed for the World Cup will open.  Not sure if that will mean anything more than Superstar, but if it does, that's even better.

Personally I think Superstar is a terrible location because you can't see over that last steep section.  That means you'll only see like the last few turns.  The map shows that there will be a video wall at the base, but if I wanted to watch it on TV, I'd just stay home and do it.  Since there is no adjacent trail and the lift is blocked by the viewing area, you won't be able to move around and watch from different locations.  I have no intention of going, but I'm glad Killington got to host an event of this size, finally bringing a worldwide event back to the east.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I told you there was zero chance of the public being allowed on that lift.

If you were willing to hike the best viewing spot might be on the cross over from Skylark on skiers right do Superstar.  You be able to see the start all the way to the final drop.

The public skiing will be very limited.  My son will be at Copper training so I'm not going to be going.  
1 ... 34567