Killington World Cup in Nov 2016?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
129 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Killington World Cup in Nov 2016?

snoloco
I was never calling on them to ditch this event.  I don't typically ski there on Thanksgiving anyway.  I also don't live in NJ.  I don't know how many times I'm going to have to repeat the last sentence.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Harvey
There is a secondary effect as well mentioned.  Different countries ski teams are going to need places near by to train in the days leading up to the event.  Other ski areas are going to get paid to blow and set aside hill race space that oridinarly would not be blown that time of year.  They will be blowing really wet snow so it can freeze up hard.  This is not snow any of us like to ski on but there will be a lot of it left behind when this is over.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snoloco
That's the power of branding kid. If you want to rebrand it's going to take time and resources.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Z
Coach what mountains and runs could serve that ancillary business? Who has the right terrain?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I heard that Okemo, Stowe, and Sugarbush would provide training runs.  Okemo would just open a different trail as the first one.  They generally aren't open during the week until after Thanksgiving, so it wouldn't be a big deal if it was only open for training during the week.  I've never been to Sugarbush so I don't know what kind of run they'd have.  I'm not sure when Stowe typically opens Spruce Peak (where their race trail is), but they may have something on the other side that works as a training run.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Sugarbush would use their GMVS terrain at North which is not normally open to the public anyway.  

Stowe would probably need to do something on the Front Four or Hayride as I don't think the race trails on the Sugarhouse side are steep enough for WC level training

Same goes for anything at Okemo so I'm not buying that one

I'd think there would be some training going on in Canada as well close to to the boarder.

Each country does not need its own hill they will usually share with another country that the coaches have good relationships with
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I was at Killington this weekend, and there was definitely some excitement in the air.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
I heard that Okemo, Stowe, and Sugarbush would provide training runs.  Okemo would just open a different trail as the first one.  They generally aren't open during the week until after Thanksgiving, so it wouldn't be a big deal if it was only open for training during the week.  I've never been to Sugarbush so I don't know what kind of run they'd have.  I'm not sure when Stowe typically opens Spruce Peak (where their race trail is), but they may have something on the other side that works as a training run.
Okemo doesn't open for the Thanksgiving weekend? That sounds crazy, that's a big weekend for a lot of areas. Since we have had snowmaking here it's the Snowbowls goal and the last few years they have been raking it in that weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
raisingarizona wrote
snoloco wrote
Okemo doesn't open for the Thanksgiving weekend? That sounds crazy, that's a big weekend for a lot of areas. Since we have had snowmaking here it's the Snowbowls goal and the last few years they have been raking it in that weekend.
No, they're open Thanksgiving Weekend, just weekends only up until then.  By the time they're open daily, they could have multiple runs, so they could still be open during training.  Before that, they would just open only for training midweek, but open to the public on weekends.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
You don't live in New Jersey, but you ski Mountain Creek? Weird. Where do you live?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I live just over the NY border.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Drive to Hunter. Bump your game.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Doesn't work after school.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
This is good news all around.    

I guess Kmart can be requesting review of SS for approval in GS and SL lower.   Maybe the upper part was "pre-approved" or approved earlier.     The lower half would seem to make the best sense.  

Good news for local resorts too.    I believe lift line would be the one at Stowe.   Long sustained pitch.   That said, I can't recall where the towers are.    I have not skied that trail since 2010.  YUM a nice trail.  

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I recall the towers being in the middle

The trail I recall Stowe uses for FIS level races is Hayride
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Hayride....I am sure Z is right, but I recall Hayride being "just a fun run"    Nothing too steep, guessing it's sustained pitch with a large turn.   That said, the trail was covered in 8-18" of powder 2 of 3  days I was there, tracked and untracked.  Might have been why I recall nothing steep or big about it....Just FUN.  

Lift line was groomed and windblown.     I borrowed  a new set of Fischer Progressor 10s....OMG that was a good trip on a fun ski.   Liftline:   I seem to recall a tower on the right but nothing to prohibit a good GS/SL practice run.  This or nosedive would basically not have much traffic and the public (if any) could watch the awesome ladies rock the course.   That could be more fun than watching the race.      
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Sno if the WC was this year there definately would have been zero public skiing
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
If snowmaking capacity gets increased which will be happening, there would be little to no effect beyond Superstar itself.  It's just one trail out of over 100.  The only trail closed will be Superstar, and everything else will be more or less normal.  After the event, they'll have likely covered the entire Superstar section and all of it will open to the public, meaning way more terrain open than usual.

You really think that Killington is going to give up all of their early season operations, which they DO make money on so that they can host a race.  Sure they'll make a ton of money off the race, but it would never justify losing an entire month of skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Sno if the WC was this year there definately would have been zero public skiing
I was thinking the about this when I read up on the recent WC this past weekend and I agree. Probably no or very limited public skiing before, either.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Killington already has the snowmaking capacity to do this, especially on superstar. All they need are the temps and the  budget. They probably view it as a publicity generator and figure if it's just a couple days the pass holders will forgive them.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller