classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
129 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Killington World Cup in Nov 2016?

campgottagopee
Peter Minde wrote
I was waiting for someone to come out with this.  +1 Scotty Jack.
LOL
Me too +2
He's right tho....
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
 the other place worthy of a WC race on the east coast is the mighty Whiteface!

it usually has that surface the racers like
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Check this analysis by the Legendary Highway Star from TGR/AZ

Highway Star wrote
Well, put this to the BS test....

Superstar is 3400ft long, and roughly 200ft wide, 300ft wide at the bottom. Lets call it 15 acres. They need to put down roughly 5 feet of snow to get the base depths required to groom the hill nice and flat.....trust me, race teams will not be happy if they keep shanking rocks. So that's 75 acre feet of snow. About what it would take to get the northridge triple open and a snowdon route open, with decent but marginal coverage, to the bottom of the K-1. They have to make all this snow by around Nov 20th, the weekend prior, so they can get the hill prepped and allow some training on it.

Now, without getting into the details of the low-e snowguns, which are FAR less effective than old style snowguns at marginal temps..........what has Killington's past performance been like? Well, some years they do great, and have the snowdon route plus many other trails open by thanksgiving, say 150 acre feet of snow (after melting) by Nov. 20th - this is the max. The average is probably somewhere around 100 acre-ft after melting by Nov 20th, enough to get open top to bottom on the K-1, plus a few more trails. In a poor year, they have just a few trails open off the northridge triple, or are closed entirely, with only 10-20 acre feet of snow on the ground.

Now what about this race? They are contractually commited to host it and if they can't pull it off, they stand to loose a pile of money. Hopefully they have insurance for this sort of thing. Lets compare senarios based on past winters - each of these happen about a third of the time:

Cold November: No problem, race happens, skiing for public likely on other trails off superstar chairs, plus K-1, NRT and Snowdon.

Average November: Race draws most snowmaking resouces for first half of November. Superstar might be open to public for first half of November. Snowmaking on K-1 / NRT starts once Superstar looks to be in good shape, public skiing only on NRT for Thanksgiving weekend (45 minute lift lines).

Warm, rainy November: Snowmaking focused entirely on Superstar, during small overnight windows of snowmaking, with several rain events melting snow. No public skiing on Thanksgiving weekend.

So, by my estimates they have a 2/3rd's chance of having either NO public skiing, or skiing on the NRT only for Thanksgiving - both of those are pretty bad senarios.

This is not even taking into account the chances of an ice storm, major rain storm, or 70F thaw the week of the event.

EPIC FAIL!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I think he nailed it
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Coach, you are the most pessimistic person I know of.  And that's saying something because I'm by no means one to look at the glass half full.

Killington needs to have terrain open EARLY.  Like October or early November.  Their passholders demand it.  When they have no skiing at all on Thanksgiving weekend and none of the weeks leading up to it, there's going to be plenty of passholders that walk out.  That's going to lose them more money than the race will ever make.

They're going to open K1/North Ridge in Late October, and then get Snowdon top to bottom concurrent with Superstar and Skyelark.  After that, move on to Snowshed and Ramshead.  If there's a skiable non race route and FIS regulations allow, the Superstar lift will remain open to the public throughout the duration of the event, or it will be open right up to the event, then close during the event, and reopen following the conclusion of the event.  Once the race is done, there will be more terrain than usual open for that time of year.  

Highway Star is the "Glade Runner" of Killingtonzone and has little credibility.  Most of what he says is a not well thought out rant.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
As a longtime Killington homeowner, I'm thrilled at the notion of having the World Cup come to town. I know some of my neighbors are less enthused, as they feel it will detract from early season skiing, and bring additional crowds, but the World Cup brings so much excitement to the area.

We were at Beaver Creek last year for the Worlds and it was a spectacle to be had.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I'm no Killington expert, but what is missing in the Highway Star analysis above ^^ is the likelihood of Killington renting additional compressors to boost early season snowmaking firepower.  

I also wonder about this statement:
Highway Star wrote
without getting into the details of the low-e snowguns, which are FAR less effective than old style snowguns at marginal temps...
That's exactly the opposite of my understanding of the low-E guns.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Cage match between Snoloco and Highway Star? Let's do it.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Benny Profane wrote
Cage match between Snoloco and Highway Star? Let's do it.
What, no plethora of commas Benny ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
This post was updated on .
That is rich, a snowballs callout on grammar
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Sno

I'm a realist about the WC

This is a huge deal for this to be in the East.  They are going to make it happen but public skiing is NEVER the emphasis for the host resort for the weeks leading up to the event.  They really don't care about a teen that doesn't even ski there much opinion.

I taught at Killington for 7 years.  How many days total have you skied there.  Guessing around 10 or less.  I have hundreds of days on that mt.  You act as if you are an expert on Killington.  
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by snoloco
Hate to say it but I agree with Highway Star. Except for the fail part. World Cup skiing in the northeast. WIN!!! Heck, I'm tempted to show up as a spectator with no expectations of skiing just to take it all in. How many times in your life are you going to get a chance to see a FRIGGIN WORLD CUP event in New England?!?!

snoloco wrote
Killington needs to have terrain open EARLY.  Like October or early November.  Their passholders demand it.  When they have no skiing at all on Thanksgiving weekend and none of the weeks leading up to it, there's going to be plenty of passholders that walk out.  That's going to lose them more money than the race will ever make.
Sno... you really need to get outside your own perspective. Just a few years ago, K wasn't going for early openings or late closings. Their passholders could demand whatever they wanted to and K lost a lot of cred, but they did it.

Some pass holders may walk. But I think the true Killington faithful will LOVE the fact that K has the BALLS to do this, Beast of the East style. Those that appreciate K for what it once was and is working on being again will value this, I think.

Killington isn't all about skiing, it is a party mountain. There will be spectacle. This event, IMO, will only increase their cachet. I imagine it is going to be a party at the KBL for the World Cup and spectators will outnumber skiers significantly. Some folks won't get to ski the Superstar trail pod and snow making on some trails will be less than normal, some folks won't be happy about that. But overall, it is a win.

This type of event does not follow how you would prefer the mountain operate, but plenty of areas in the northeast operate in ways that are anathema to your preferences and other people love it. There is more than one way to enjoy the activity and resorts operate in ways that to you don't seem sound but to others are wonderful.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Killington---the business, is not all about skiing.   Excellent statement.  

It is a business.   A business that has weighed the pluses and minuses of holding a WC.    I am sure they have attended and spoken with experts who have.   Bottom line, you can sell a heck of a lot more $6.00 beers to people standing around watching a race than people skiing and then going back to their condo to drink.  

Local businesses and property owners will love the event as well.  Maybe even give Kmart some cred back that they lost with these businesses/owners over the years.    

I am also very sure their snow making manager has looked at what is needed and has given a budget of what $ it will take to get it done.    Obviously accepted.    If it is a typical year, there will be plenty of cold nights to spread snow.   As noted, they can rent tons of air and snow making.      
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Sno

I'm a realist about the WC

This is a huge deal for this to be in the East.  They are going to make it happen but public skiing is NEVER the emphasis for the host resort for the weeks leading up to the event.  They really don't care about a teen that doesn't even ski there much opinion.

I taught at Killington for 7 years.  How many days total have you skied there.  Guessing around 10 or less.  I have hundreds of days on that mt.  You act as if you are an expert on Killington.
I've skied Killington 13 times and Pico twice.  I've studied the trail map for many hours and the Google earth pictures.  I'm also on their fanpage (Killingtonzone) and their website almost daily.  I'd ski there many more days of I could, but I live very far away.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
snoloco wrote
Coach Z wrote
Sno I'm a realist about the WCThis is a huge deal for this to be in the East.  They are going to make it happen but public skiing is NEVER the emphasis for the host resort for the weeks leading up to the event.  They really don't care about a teen that doesn't even ski there much opinion.I taught at Killington for 7 years.  How many days total have you skied there.  Guessing around 10 or less.  I have hundreds of days on that mt.  You act as if you are an expert on Killington.
I've skied Killington 13 times and Pico twice.  I've studied the trail map for many hours and the Google earth pictures.  I'm also on their fanpage (Killingtonzone) and their website almost daily.  I'd ski there many more days of I could, but I live very far away.
                                                                 So yes he is an expert.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
PUBLISH DATE
10/09/2015

Killington, Vt., Oct. 9, 2015—It’s official, Killington Resort will host Audi FIS Ski World Cup races Nov. 26-27, 2016, on its Superstar trail. The first World Cup in eastern U.S. in 25 years will include women’s giant slalom and slalom races.

Earlier this month, the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association submitted a bid to host the races. “FIS had their meeting, and we are on the calendar now,” said Killington spokesman Michael Joseph. “It went from being proposed and heavily lobbied for, to now, where we are on the FIS calendar. We couldn’t be more excited about it.”

With the worlds best female ski racers heading to Vermont next fall, it’s likely New England ski resorts will see an increase in revenue from pre-race training. “It’ll be a big economic boost for Killington and central Vermont and probably the whole state as well,” said Joseph.

FIS World Cup’s are broadcasted internationally in over 60 nations including the United States. Previous states that have hosted an FIS World Cup saw economic impacts ranging from $15 million to $20 million.

Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Rj1972 wrote
PUBLISH DATE
10/09/2015

Killington, Vt., Oct. 9, 2015—It’s official, Killington Resort will host Audi FIS Ski World Cup races Nov. 26-27, 2016, on its Superstar trail. The first World Cup in eastern U.S. in 25 years will include women’s giant slalom and slalom races.

Earlier this month, the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association submitted a bid to host the races. “FIS had their meeting, and we are on the calendar now,” said Killington spokesman Michael Joseph. “It went from being proposed and heavily lobbied for, to now, where we are on the FIS calendar. We couldn’t be more excited about it.”

With the worlds best female ski racers heading to Vermont next fall, it’s likely New England ski resorts will see an increase in revenue from pre-race training. “It’ll be a big economic boost for Killington and central Vermont and probably the whole state as well,” said Joseph.

FIS World Cup’s are broadcasted internationally in over 60 nations including the United States. Previous states that have hosted an FIS World Cup saw economic impacts ranging from $15 million to $20 million.
Love it. This is great for Killington and great for the East Coast.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote
PUBLISH DATE
10/09/2015

I'm a huge supporter and optimist on this WC.  I just don't care nor expect there to be public skiing.  $20 million economic impact for Vt but one very ticked off teen in NJ.  Better ditch the whole idea.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Coach Z wrote
$20 million economic impact for Vt but one very ticked off teen in NJ.  Better ditch the whole idea.
He probably wants an oompa loompa too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Wait, sno do you ski Killington at Thanksgiving?  I didn't get the idea that he was raining on this because it was going to ruin his plans.

Betting K is glad this is next year, not this season.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp