classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
129 messages Options
12345 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Killington World Cup in Nov 2016?

snoloco
Coach, how can you dispute what Killington said on their facebook page.  They said they will be expanding early season terrain as customers have come to expect while still providing the necessary race venue due to increased snowmaking capacity.  This isn't ORDA where if you spend 50000 dollars in one spot that you have 50000 less to spend elsewhere.  There's plenty of room where they could add a grandstand so it does not need to be blocking the lift off.  I'll screenshot some google earth pictures to show this.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
There just is not that much room there on the bottom and no room at all on the top.

http://www.lauberhorn.ch/en/offers/ticketing/Kombieintritt

Check out they handle admission at other WC venues.  Note it says that certain lifts are off limits and to access pistes along the race route you will also need to pay a race admission fee in addition to a lift ticket.

While there may be it other skiing weather dependent it will not be thier priority.  

When I worked at the Big K all the employees referred to snow phone as the lie line.  Killingtons marketing and Pr folks are not the most truthful or turstworthy folks.  They say that now but about a year from now it will be due to FIS regulations or due to immature snow (thier term for rain as they are forbidden to say the R word) we regret to inform you that there us limited public skiing.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by snoloco
Here is the bottom of Superstar.  Green represents the public lift entrance, blue represents possible grandstand locations, and red represents the race finish area.

Here is the top of Superstar.  Green represents the run open to the public for access to Skyelark/Great Eastern.  Red represents possible locations that in which the teams could set up on the trails that exist within the circle (closed to the public).

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
The SS lift maze and the lift loads on the opposite side from what you show.

I can tell you gave not watched many WC races.  The grandstand are always directly behind the finish area so they can see the crowd in the finish shot on tv.  To the skiers right of that us the team area, the tv interview area and the area where the current racers on he podium wait which is where the lift maze is.  It is exactly the same at EVERY race.  

Except for the couple of very narrow cat walks none if what you outlined is flat at the top.  They require tons of space.  Gateway faces south and would not hold snow in November.  Sno I worked at Killington for 10 years I know it a million times better than you.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
It's not like anything prevents them from temporarily changing the lift maze to make way for the race area.  How does Gateway not hold snow well?  I've been at Killington in late April and the route I drew is always open at that time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
You can't compare European WC venues with American ones. There is just a much smaller market for ski racing here.  They will get nowhere near the crowds they do across the pond.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
It faces SOUTH!  In November the ground may not be frozen if it is in the sun.  You can blow there later in the season.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
You can't compare European WC venues with American ones. There is just a much smaller market for ski racing here.  They will get nowhere near the crowds they do across the pond.
Correct, one would be able to compare Killington's scenario much better to how things are done with similar events out west, not in Europe.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
Good point

I just looked that up.  Admission is free to stand but grandstand seating has a fee.  I think they do a big vip biz there too.

I'm sticking to my position that the SS lift will not be open to the public.  We will see.

So who is thinking of attending the race?  My son would go if Nysef is taking them but this a week where this fall he is going to be in Colorado training.  Not sure I would go without him.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote

Killington does quite a lot of Brit group biz and this will give them exposure in Europe.  

That one has always been a mystery to me. They fly all the way from Britain to ski in ...... Vermont? Never got it. I mean, they could drive to the Alps, with the Chunnel these days. Weird. But, they are remarkably well mannered people. I'm guessing the parents are horrified by the typical Killington bro brah. But, they keep that upper lip stiff.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
WOW. You guys need to take up deer hunting. Skiing in November has got to suck anyway
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
To me, a bad day of skiing is better than a good day shooting things.  However, I have nothing against those who like deer hunting because every deer shot by the hunters is one less deer hit by a car which has the potential to cause far more damage.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
And it's tasty too
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
snoloco wrote
To me, a bad day of skiing is better than a good day (insert anything)
I used to think that way too. Guess I'm past that in my life right now because a bad day of skiing is just that, bad. There are other things I can do with my time vs. skiing boilerplate. Again, that's just me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Not only boilerplate, but ten trails shared with five thousand other people on Thanksgiving weekend. Look out! In Colorado, they call them the white ribbons of death.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
I would love to attend the WC at Kmart. Would plan it if, as Coach points out, I could actually watch it.     Sadly, with my lack of funds for this type of event, I won't likely be in the grandstands and again, as I agree with Coach, there is really no other way to see the event--yep, I could walk up into the woods, but 3 layers of fence is a bitch.     I could borrow a tree stand--from someone not hunting, but do I really want to stand in a tree stand all day.      We will see what comes of this.

I also agree WC at Kmart would have a great feel for Kmart shoppers.  Just as LP sucks the life out of Olympics from 30 years ago, Kmart can eat this up for years.    Kids wanting to ski on the same slope at WC?  Of course.  Ad print, signs, etc.    I also would love knowing that my fav spring trail at Kmart was once a WC slope.   I am cool with the long term effects, even if the short term causes turmoil to season passholders, which I suspect it will not.  I think they too accept the crap that will come with a big event like this, under the cost of doing business and skiing at a pretty cool mountain that has the funds to support such an event, or even be considered.  

Lastly---SS lift will BE CLOSED to the public.   OMG, not even a consideration.    

All of that said...I think this is hype and WC is not coming to Kmart.    
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Something I didn't think of earlier.  The SS starts on one side of he trail and crosses over the would be course to finish on the other side.  No way the FIS allows any chance someone could knock snow off thier skis onto the course or a racer.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Sounds like the FIS is very paranoid about the chance of snow falling on someone.  Just put signs at the bottom that say if anyone knocks snow off their skis or throws a snowball onto the course that they get ejected from the resort without refund and banned from returning for the rest of the season.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
snoloco wrote
I used to think that way too. Guess I'm past that in my life right now because a bad day of skiing is just that, bad. There are other things I can do with my time vs. skiing boilerplate. Again, that's just me.
I'm with you -a bad day of skiing might be a good day for hiking or putzing around in the shop or reading a book or ...
Life is too short to be a one trick pony.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
snoloco wrote
Yup. I agree. A bad day of skiing might be better than a day at work or studying for my biology and chemistry exams that I have tomorrow but skiing boiler plate isn't what I would call pleasurable. There is so many cool things we can do with our lives so why be hyper focused on just one or two activities, it's really fun to diversify and switch things up.
12345 ... 7