Least Favorite Mountain You've Visited/Skied?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
92 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Least Favorite Mountain You've Visited/Skied?

Z
Jerry

When is the last time you skied the Face?

Snow quality dramatically improved in the last several years with the investments in snowmaking

I get to ski a lot of places and Killington and the southern Vt areas have much more icy conditions on the average weekend compared to WF

sugarbush has given up on grooming for cost savings.  You need to try WF again
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Coach Z wrote
Jerry

When is the last time you skied the Face?

Snow quality dramatically improved in the last several years with the investments in snowmaking
I haven't been up since early season, but I've heard from multiple people that the grooming/snowmaking has been much better than Gore this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Whiteface snowmaking and grooming has been fantastic this year.  Best in at least 20 years since I have been going there, and mother nature certainly not helping. Kudos to the boots on the ground at WF for the last 2 months!
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
jimvdak wrote
What is with that weird gondola lift thing that really isn't a gondola?? Just put in a damn 6-pack and call it a day.
3.  Mountain Creek gets a lot of beginners being close to NYC.  Most 6-packs are really hard to load causing them to stop frequently.  Look at Hunter's 6-pack.  Stopping 3 or 4 times per ride on a weekend is not uncommon.  With the cabriolet, you just walk in so it is pretty foolproof.
Another reason to strongly dislike MC...
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
Glade Runner wrote
Have you ever checked out Mt Bohemia?
Bohemia is 600 miles and 10 hours from Detroit.
Gore is 545 miles and 9 hours from Detroit.
I would guess the answer is no.
Bohemia is a real commitment. For most people with 10 hours of travel time there are bigger and  better choices.
It's more Like 12 hours away. Also if I am going to drive that far to ski going back east makes more sense because I still have family in the Albany area. I work with a guy who goes to Bohemia and I will make that trip with him at some point.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chatiemac
In reply to this post by snoloco
Hunter
Ski the East
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
sugarbush has given up on grooming for cost savings.  You need to try WF again
pure speculation, calling bs
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Mad looked pretty good today, but I guess the groomers are pretty limited their too.

https://vimeo.com/118316444
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
The worst mountain I have ever skied at? Well that's something I can't even come up with an answer. I grew up on a 250 vertical hill called Craigmuer in New Jersey. I should probably say that it's the worst but you know what? Before I knew any better during my first years as a skier I loved that place. It was right up the road from my house and we would ski there after school on weeknights. Great memories. I have skied at many of the areas around you Snoloco, MC, Camelback, Shawnee, the Catskill areas, and all over Vermont. I have fantastic memories from all of them.

There are areas that I have gone by that I didn't care to go ski. Okemo, Vail, Keystone, Breck, Purg, and Northstar are a few that come to mind but if I had a free pass I am sure I could ski at those places and have fun. It's skiing!

I am not a big fan of numbers. A lot of intermediates seem to dwell on the #'s of areas but I have always been into the quality of terrain. Areas like Crested Butte, A-Basin, Jackson, Snowbird, Squaw, Silverton, Telluride, Plattekill, and Mad River are all areas that I have always enjoyed because of the cool and funky terrain. I really can't understand the allure of riding on perfectly manicured flat groomers all day. It feels like every run is a carbon copy of all of the others. I would rather go sit in the bar after a few hours of that sort of skiing.

Now that I am getting older I have really developed a love for the really small ski areas. Not 250 vert small but smallish and not resort-y kinds of places. The best part about places like that isn't the grooming, or the amenities, or the high speed lifts but it's the community. I love the family friendly and tight nit local vibe places like that create. Those places are frequented by some very inspiring and interesting but also unpretentious people. Next time you visit a new area try to get a sense of community. Listen, watch, and try to get to know some of the locals. You might find something way cooler than stats and the vibe that big resorts create.

And.......don't ever tell them why their mountain is inferior to Stratton or Mountain Creek because of such and such, you won't make friends that way. See the positives and aspects of the place that are cool and give em some compliments. If you do that they just might invite you into their inside circle and little mountain community and then you might find a little something about the soul of skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
It's kinda like your first bike. Who didn't love their first bike ? Who would want to ride a similar one now ?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
The worst mountain I have ever skied at? Well that's something I can't even come up with an answer.
Same here, but I don't really get out and ski a bunch of places either. I know what I like and stick to that.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Ain't no bad places , JUST some better than others  
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
The trees at Jay are scary

Another stupid tree skiing drift pic from jay. SNORE...... Guy is tree skiing with trees that tight without even a helmet. Real smart

All tree skiing carries a higher risk of injury if you're going anything more than a crawl speed. One wrong move and your head goes into a tree. Common sense. Didn't someone post recently about seeing someone badly hurt in the bc?  Sure you could go super slow, but it takes the fun out of it. Give me a trail to ride down. You want to take the risk of glades then go right ahead, but at least go out west where you can really haul ass.

AGAIN, post a video of a TRAIL at jay peak with that amount of powder being skied. Would LOVE TO SEE IT. HAHAHA...We all know damn well you don't see pow on the trails like that and that stuff in the woods has simply drifted in from the crazy winds at that place.

riverc0il wrote
Not at all. If you like "tight" tree skiing, I'd recommend putting Jay Peak at the bottom of your list for east coast areas.
Not at all. Jay/all east coast skiing is tight tree skiing compared to out west. You can haul ass out west on the glades they have. Probably more dangerous though than the ec due to speed even though trees are spaced farther apart.

ml242 wrote
They actually get 350" of snow a year, so it's more like "Oh, it's gonna snow tomorrow, better get my dad to throw the shit in the car".
Then why don't you see pics of chest deep pow like at aspen?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE1rUviNWRU

Aspen...powder. GETS THE SAME AMOUNT OF SNOW AS JAY PEAK????? PLEASE SOMEONE POST AN EQUIVALENT VIDEO OF JAY PEAK ON TRAIL(No F'ING WOODS....ACTUAL TRAIL...THEY'VE GOT A TON OF THEM!!) WITH POWDER LIKE  THE VIDEO BELOW. PLEASE DO THAT OR STFU ABOUT HOW THEY GET AS MUCH POW AS ASPEN BECAUSE WE ALL CAN THE EAST COAST B.S. BIAS ON HERE. IT'S LAUGHABLE.

The ec bias on here is a joke. You guys are all the same. Talking about how much fun ice is, stupid ec trees where you can barely move and how core it is. LOL! How great having no grooming is in maine....99% of customers who actually ski the east totally disagree with this. Internet forums don't equal real life.

SHOW ME A PIC LIKE BELOW OF ON TRAIL JAY PEAK. BOTH ASPEN/JAY PEAK GET AROUND THE SAME AMOUNT OF SNOW

ACTUALLY SHOW ME A VIDEO OF JAY PEAK WITH POWDER ON TRAIL LIKE THAT. YOU CAN TURN 3 INCHES INTO A FACE SHOT IN A PICTURE. AT LEAST I CAN.
Simple question
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is jay peak the best place to score ON TRAIL DEEP powder on the east coast for people who don't enjoy skiing trees and want a trail with powder? Is it as good for that as aspen or much of colorado?(which gets around the same amount of snow) No debate. NO DEFLECTION ANSWER THE QUESTION.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
PowderAssassin wrote
Jay/all east coast skiing is tight tree skiing compared to out west.
The thing is... it depends. I found a few trees at JH and GT that were tighter than 80% of the trees at Jay:

My favorite lines at JH were the tighter lines. I was really surprised by some of the tight and steep tree lines I found and I was quite at home in them. Obviously not the majority of terrain is like that out there but this isn't an east/west specific thing. You certainly can have your own preferences and opinions but you can't argue against the facts.

The danger issue... please do some research and let me know how many skiers died by hitting trees while skiing groomers vs skiing trees. Damned if I can remember the last time I heard a report about someone getting killed skiing trees but it seems there are 1-2 dozen groomer deaths every year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
https://m.facebook.com/JayPeakFan/albums/10153060071539441/

That was the other day.  Looks good for 11 inches.  No one is arguing about snow on trails.  We all know it blows off the trails to the edges and into the woods.  Was there Wed, same deal.  Maybe you should just practice bumps before you venture into the woods.

Buddy hit a 2 foot plus drift Wed in the woods.

Why are you so hard on everyone for just having fun?  We all know out west is so much better but, we make the most out what we have here.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
 Obviously not the majority of terrain is like that out there but this isn't an east/west specific thing. You certainly can have your own preferences and opinions but you can't argue against the facts.

The danger issue... please do some research and let me know how many skiers died by hitting trees while skiing groomers vs skiing trees. Damned if I can remember the last time I heard a report about someone getting killed skiing trees but it seems there are 1-2 dozen groomer deaths every year.
It is east/west specific. 99% of tree skiing in ec is tighter than wc. Those pics you posted are an exception
Grand targhee...looks slightly more wide open that jay, eh?

And how do the groomer deaths almost always happen? They run into a tree skiing on the edge of a trail. There's a reason resorts pad hard objects like lift towers. It's proven to save lives/massive injuries.

There are simply more people skiing the groomers than the trees therefore more chance of death per capita. You must have missed my orange netting thread ;) Also, the tightness of ec glades mean people skiing MUCH slower. This reduces risk. Massive injuries still happen.

This guy lost his leg when he ran into a tree
 http://snowboardervstree.blogspot.com/p/story.html

You want to stay safe skiing? Ski at moderate or less speed and stay away from trees. Just my personal thing I do for safety. I'm not telling anyone what to do or to not jump off a 50 foot cliff or do big airs. It's their decision. I'm just stating facts.

gladerunner wrote
Why are you so hard on everyone for just having fun?  We all know out west is so much better but, we make the most out what we have here.  No one is arguing about snow on trails.  We all know it blows off the trails to the edges and into the woods.  Was there Wed, same deal.  Maybe you should just practice bumps before you venture into the woods.  "
That's not at all what I'm talking about. If someone simply conceded you can't ride good powder at jay on trails like you just did and that the west is so much better, I'd leave it alone.

I don't like woods skiing. Period. You do. That's fine. I don't find it safe and I feel it confining. THe complete oposite of what I enjoy about wide open pow trails. Maybe one of the reasons(other than all the climate data) that I question jay's snowfalls is because of what I see on trails. Obviously it all just blows into the woods. So it wouldn't really matter if it got 1000 inches. But why doesn't it blow away into the glades out west? I'm guessing the winds at jay are simply much strongeR or is jay not telling the truth? Because you can find wide open pow on trail at very high elevations out west.

-----------------------
Glade runner.....I'm not a beginner skier. LOL I can put together a parrallel turn after about 3 sessions. I've had 25 sessions so far this year alone..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESPONSE TO POST BELOW BY ML
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$*******************************************************************************

Here's the heavenly snow stake on their own website. Everyone knows Ca is in a snow drought this year. That's what many vt resorts would look like many years if they didn't have snow guns and were totally natural reliant. Season total at heavenly is 46 inches so far this year. 360 is the average. It's basically the worst year ever. See what vermont mountains look like on their WORST snowless year ever with NO SNOW GUNS. :) Your argument is absurd. There's something called an "average". DUH! 

Yes I do have questions. WTF are you talking about? Are you saying you can't get more on trail pow at  grand targhee, aspen, wolf creek or a dozen other places over jay peak?

I have a ton of NON MARKETING VIDEOS of out west resorts at numerous resorts skiing waist deep powder ON TRAIL. Those type of videos do not exist at jay peak of on trail waist to chest deep powder. And these videos are posted EVERY YEAR multiple times on youtube. I also used to live in utah so I know the deal. There's a reason there's such as a thing as an "east coast" ski vs "west coast" ski. At places out west you have A TON of pow that jay or any ec area can't touch.

Here's a video of chest deep pow ON TRAIL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-FebCbC5I
Show me an equivalent for jay peak.
You're trying soooo hard it's kind of laughable. Get real. If you want ON TRAIL pow, jay peak is not the place to be. I'm actually surprised jay peak can't seem to have a single day like that. I don't event think jay is the best in the east for on trail pow. Too much wind.

See glade runner.....THIS IS WHO I'M ARGUING WITH.

There's litterally THOUSANDS of videos on youtube of deep wide open pow from mulitple years/months of many different resorts out west . NADA from jay peak of ON TRAIL pow. Case closed. Shocking jay never seemed to have a single day in a decade of chest deep pow ON TRAIL with a 350 inch average. Those winds must be insane I can pull up better videos from magic/berkshire east of deeper pow days on trail than from jay peak and those places average around 100 inches a year give or take.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User

"There are simply more people skiing the groomers than the trees therefore more chance of death per capita."

Yes because there are many more beginner skiers out there, you being one of them.  Practice the bumps kid.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
Because you can find wide open pow on trail at very high elevations out west.
Here's Squaw today:

Here's a marketing shot from Heavenly:

Any questions?
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Wow. Those shots of Squaw are absurd. Looks like June.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I've lived in New York my entire life.