Least Favorite Mountain You've Visited/Skied?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
92 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Least Favorite Mountain You've Visited/Skied?

snoloco
This post was updated on .
I'd say mine has to be Shawnee.  It is a half sized Hunter that is only slightly closer with worse conditions, larger crowds, boring trails, and worse lifts.  When I went there, the lifts were all fixed grip and stopped a lot with huge lines.  They have an HSQ now, but I will still most likely never return.

I bet many of you thought I'd say Jay Peak was my least favorite.  I want to clear up what my actual opinion on the place is.  I most likely was overdoing it when I kept saying how terrible it was earlier.  The reality is that I will most likely not visit it again because it just isn't for me.  I'm not much of a tree skier and the trails aren't in really good condition most of the time according to my own experience and what people on here say.  They offer a good product to those looking for trees and if in optimal condition, I'm sure the trails are pretty good, but Killington, Stratton, Whiteface, and Gore are all closer and provide a better experience if you are looking for primarily groomed trails like I am.  Why drive 6.5 hours when you can drive 3.5-4.5 hours and have a better experience?
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Least Favorite Mountain You've Visited Skied?

MC2 5678F589
Wachusett.

They have these annoying walls of snow on the sides of trails that are (apparently) supposed to keep people from skiing in the trees and they're (apparently) very strict about that. What a god-awful thing for a mountain to do.

The more you try to eliminate fun, the more I hate your mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
In reply to this post by snoloco
I went to Catamount on a day when even the ice was extra icy. Whatever had been groomed had frozen back up hard as rocks already or scraped away. Still, wasn't a terrible day but it was too bad, seemed like a fun little mountain!
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Mountain Creek...but they called it Vernon Valley Great Gorge the last time I skied it...Then probably Stratton and then Okemo...
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
skunkape wrote
even the ice was extra icy
LOL

You be asking for it on this thread Sno.

I hate to rag on anyone's mountain.  Especially Gorgo's as he is such a gentleman. So I will refrain from giving a response to this incendiary thread.

Sno if you want to get the Jay Peak thing off your mind, maybe go straight up and take it all back?  

Teasin. I like the new you bro.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Least Favorite Mountain You've Visited/Skied?

skimore
snoloco wrote
the trails aren't in really good condition most of the time according to my own experience
You've been there once and keep regurgitating the same crap

Jay 2 weeks ago

Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Okemo.

Okemo is probably the only non-feeder area that I wouldn't ski even if you gave me a free ticket. I am (perhaps unfairly) lumping Wachusett into the feeder area category. Once and done at Okemo for sure. At least Stratton looked to have some decent trees if conditions are nice, though Stratton's base area makes me want to barf. But I'd still take a free ticket to Stratton to better sample their trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Okemo was fine when my kids were young, they out grew the mountain by 12.
Stratton the skiing is similar to Okemo, just fine..Like Riv said the base is awful.
MC is the worst place I have ever skied, If it was the only place to ski, I would give up skiing. It's that bad..
Wachusetts can be similar to MC, not a fun place.

with so many great places no need to focus on the bad..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I think Okemo has better trees than Stratton, more annual snowfall, and cheaper lift tickets. I can't say I'm terribly excited to go back to either with the better options nearby. I almost never have a bad time at a hill. Last time I skied Vernon Valley I was with these really cute mormon girls that just moved from Utah. I was 15 and they could really ski. It was awesome.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
ml242 wrote
I think Okemo has better trees than Stratton, more annual snowfall, and cheaper lift tickets. I can't say I'm terribly excited to go back to either with the better options nearby. I almost never have a bad time at a hill. Last time I skied Vernon Valley I was with these really cute mormon girls that just moved from Utah. I was 15 and they could really ski. It was awesome.
This. Although certain skiing is better there is no bad skiing and any ski hill should be a great ski hill if you are skiing there. If the crowds bum you out then you made a bad decision. Bad snow? Ski mo' better.

We are lucky to have our sport. Don't complain.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Without a second thought

East   Mountain Creek

West tie between Whitefish Montana (used to be Big Mt) and you guessed it Park City.  Whitefish is a smaller version of PC
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
MC is the worst place I have ever skied, If it was the only place to ski, I would give up skiing. It's that bad..
Wachusetts can be similar to MC, not a fun place.
Wow, you really must hate it.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
In reply to this post by Z
When we lived in Iowa, about 20 years ago when I was mostly snowboarding, I went to a place after a storm near the Mississippi.  That is where there is topography out there, near the big rivers.  There was a "ski area" that consisted of a gully, with a "half pipe" that was literally a ditch.  The lifts were the chain type that Mt. Snow used to have, maybe still does.  The whole experience made me really depressed, and I actually missed Washusset where I had learned to snowboard, previously.  Believe me, that place is heaven compared to Iowa!  I don't want to put the state down as a whole, it was kind of cool, but not for skiing.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
snoloco wrote
Did you have a particularly bad experience at Mountain Creek?  I go because it is close and it is totally awesome when it is optimal and at least halfway decent on most other days, but I would hate to be there on a day when it was bad having driven over an hour and paying full price for a terrible experience.  Most days I go, I enjoy it and if it is truly god awful, I leave.  I just really like the flexibility of being able to go skiing at a medium sized hill whenever I have a few hours free and not having to wait for a totally free weekend day to ski.  Plus there are some days when I want to ski, but me and/or my dad aren't feeling the drive or the 6am morning departure.  Those days get spent at Mountain Creek.  Love to be on the lift within an hour of waking up.
Sno, don't get trolled into talking about MC more than you have to. Maybe your dad should just look for a new job in Jackson or something.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
I went to Sunday River once after a brief thaw cycle. It was crusty and hard. And only part of the mountain was even open. So Sunday River sucks.

One place that I've skied a few times that I actually didn't care for too much was Attitash. I really can't pinpoint what I didn't like about it, but I gave it a few tries and just never really liked it. Don't get me wrong - it's better than a sharp stick in the eye, or a day at work.

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
The worst day I ever had at a ski area was at Winterplace is West "by God" Virginia.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Coach what's the deal with Whitefish Mt?  Anyone else have an experience there?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Powderqueen and Rochester Mark:

http://mag.nyskiblog.com/Whitefish-and-Big-Sky-Montana-Means-Mountains-td4023624.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
snoloco wrote
the trails aren't in really good condition most of the time according to my own experience
You've been there once and keep regurgitating the same crap

Jay 2 weeks ago

That picture isn't impressive at all. Just a few inches of pow left on the side of the trail. The whole trail doesn't even have pow on it.

Snoloco hit the nail on the head. Jay is for tight ec tree skiing If you like that, then it's the place to be. I don't. It's not a powder mecca for skiing trails. Period. There are better options even on the EC for that. It doesn't matter if jay gets 800 inches a year, most of it gets blown away anyway into drifts in the woods.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User

You mean drifts like these right inside the glades from what blew in from the trail.