Least Favorite Mountain You've Visited/Skied?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
92 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Least Favorite Mountain You've Visited/Skied?

Glade Runner
Banned User
Bosco, those pics look awesome.  Thanks for posting.

Pow, did you ever think that if all that snow blows into the trees, how much snow would be in there?  I just rode with a 6 yr old today that did all 3 glades at Greek Peak.  You really going to let a 6 yr old show you up?
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Ok, so I'm starting a new thread to look at this issue from a different angle.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Said it b4 and I'll say it again.  If I waited around for perfect conditions, I'd get half the ski days that I get.  Powder, hero snow, blister conditions, rain.  DGAF.  Go out and do it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Efilnikufesin
Efilnikufesin wrote
Are you always this perpetually perturbed?
He's PA so.....Perpetually Arguing, Perpetually Annoying, Pain in the Ass.

Efilnikufesin wrote
Plus, you should stop with the long posts, no one reads them, or probably anything you write at this point.
Good point ! I don't read his crap.

Efilnikufesin wrote
Haven't you excused yourself from this forum about two or three times already? Should stick to that.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
Awesome pics.  Is that you launching off those cliffs?
Thanks and It is but a fifteen year younger me. I did a lot of that for a while. I had sort of a shitty child hood so it seemed like a good way to work things out.

I had some very good times in Jackson from 98 to 02. I was there for one season before the ropes dropped. We would poach Rock Springs every run some days. 40k of vert in a day was easy and the conditions were like heli skiing back there. The next year the boundaries opened and it was an exciting time. A lot of things that hadn't been skied yet were getting explored and it seemed at the time to be very adventurous. I feel very fortunate to have been a part of it.

I have a lot more photos that I can share but I don't want to seem like a self promoting dick head. If you guys are interested let me know and I'll post a few more up.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Bosco DaSkia
Bosco DaSkia wrote

Hows bout this one?

That pic is so sick. For me it really captures the soul of east coast powder skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
Bosco DaSkia wrote

What about this? Uncrowded, ungroomed powder on the trail. The only thing missing for you is some orange safety netting.
That looks great. Let's see a video. Hard to tell how deep it is, but it looks good.
Bosco DaSkia wrote

Hows bout this one?
That epic looking. I want to see a video
Bosco DaSkia wrote

How bout this one?  It's got the freaking tram right in the picture.
That HEAVILY WIND affected snow. You can tell by the texture even in a picture. First 2 pics you posted were heavily wind affected. Rest were great. I want to see a video

I'll tell my own jay peak story. I went there after 17 inches fell overnight and couldn't find more than a few inches on any of the trails. I asked the locals, they said that it was normal for big snowstorms to have big winds and that all the snow is blown/drifted into the woods. See that simply isn't the case out west. They routinely have pow on the trails. I think the pics you found were the exception to the rule, but I don't live near that resort so maybe they don't get huge winds every time they get a foot of snow? I'm asking a serious question.

I have a simple question. What vermont resort is the best for finding powder ON TRAILS?
 That would mean less wind.

raisingarizona wrote

I used to go ski at the Ghee and it was a lot of fun. This is a pic from 1999. No safety nets or helmet wearing at that time in the backcountry and thank god for those times!

LMAO...oh yeah prove how the bc of the west is better than the east? LOL! Who the hell skis stuff like that anyway? Get real. 40 foot cliff drops...lol

Forty footers into powder snow is pretty standard in Jackson Hole. I never really thought that it was crazy dangerous, it just seemed like a lot of fun. That drop is actually more like 50 ft., or at least with a small amount of speed it was. The other pic was about 70 feet, I landed at the bottom edge of the photograph. I used air stuff like that weekly for maybe 5 years or so.

I think our perspective of limits and what is "extreme" depends on our environment. You may see something as crazy, stupid, or dangerous but to others it's just the norm.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
PowderAssassin wrote
Efilnikufesin wrote
Are you always this perpetually perturbed? Who does things like that? Better skiers/riders than you.
You huck off 50 foots cliffs like in that picture? Please post some videos of you doing that LMAO...Assclown! Stick to your hardcore east coast glades hot shot....that's above your level. You probably would be falling all over the place in 3 feet of untracked fresh. LOL

Yes anyone who does that is better than me. They're also an idiot risking their life for a cheap thrill if they're not getting paid or a professional getting paid. Period. Look at how many of these extreme skiers lose their life or get massively injured. It's dangerous. They're an adult and they take the risk if they want to. But don't expect me to give it props.

Bosca, good powder on trail at jay peak is extremely rare....kind of odd considering the place supposedly gets as much snow as aspen. Hmmmmm. Anyone else find it kind of odd you can't find any videos at all? It's actually surprising how they don't have any. I'm sure even jay peak has had a fluke day with pow on trail, no? Very strange. Show me chest deep pow on trail at jay peak in a video. I can show you a hundred from alta, grand targhee, wolf creek, snowbird, mt batchelor, and aspen amongst others. Are the winds THAT BAD? If they are, they kind of defeat the whole 355 inches even if they do get that amount. And why is it so hard on VT to get good packed pow? It's known as the ice coast for a reason. Crowds? Fake snow? Lack of natural snow? Thaws are pretty rare in NVT and as you said it snows the next day anyway. Yet, you get hardpack conditions all the time.Hmmmm It all plays in
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glade runner wrote
"Pow, did you ever think that if all that snow blows into the trees, how much snow would be in there?  I just rode with a 6 yr old today that did all 3 glades at Greek Peak.  You really going to let a 6 yr old show you up?"

If a 6 year old could do it then I wouldn't be bragging about core the trees are. Kids die/get seriously injured skiing too unfortunately. What exactly are we arguing over. I don't want to ski trees period. Just the way I'm not interested in the terrain park. My body. My money. My choice. Peace
Everything in life that has some value is a risk. Skiing crowded groomed blue runs at Camelback is dangerous and risky.

It is your choice to not ski things you see as risky but just because you are butt hurt that many others aren't scared isn't a good argument for ya. You actually just sound bitter.

I am way more comfortable dropping an easy 50 foot drop into powder or negotiating/skiing back country avie terrain than I am skiing those super crowded groomers. To me that stuff is so SCARY!
Reply | Threaded
|

Efilnikufesin
I didn't even read your reply, but I assume it is just a wall of text whining and bitching about something.

Watch out for that there carpal tunnel, it's dangerous typing so much bullshit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Another mellow wide open western ski experience at Grand Targhee. But yeah, Goat at Stowe is way more technical.

Those pics are awesome.  Feel free to post as many as you like.
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by snoloco
Whiteface, followed by Blacktail (Montana).  

This is not to say that Whiteface is a lesser mountain then many of the places that I regularly ski, it's just that my expectations were much greater than the actual experience.  Brutally cold, windy and not all that interesting was my take on the mountain.

Blacktail was worse - basically a bunch of boring runs cut into a thick forest.  No need to fly 2000 miles and drive another 200 miles for that.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
least favorite i have never visited mountain crick
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.