420 messages Options
1234 ... 21
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lift Ticket Prices for 14-15

snoloco
This post was updated on .
I will list the adult weekend lift ticket rates at some mountains in the east just to compare them.

Hunter:  Not listed yet
Windham:  $75
Belleayre:  $64
Plattekill:  Not listed yet
Gore:  $75 (holidays is $80)
Whiteface:  $89
Mount Peter:  $45
Tuxedo Ridge:  $42 (13-14)
Killington:  Not listed yet
Okemo:  $89 (13-14)
Stratton:  $92 (13-14)
Mount Snow:  $92
Jay Peak:  $69
Stowe:  $98

I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Lift Ticket Prices for 14-15

sudsnbumps
MRG's most expensive ticket is $79 but they have many discount days (January 27th for instance)...The Mad Card is a very cool way to enjoy Mad River if you are not a season pass holder or shareholder

God, I can't wait for winter!
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Your paying way too much.
Gore can be had with a 6 pack of Becks or Ubu
Whiteface, a pint of Jim or Jose for most of the season but a season pass to the back country is free usually from late December through April.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
He who pays retail is a fool.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by snoloco
I think Stratton sells a non holiday season pass for $400. So you'd be ahead with the pass with just 5 days.

I also think the high daily ticket prices at stratton are meant to help force visitors into their lodging packages.

Where Gore's value really comes out is with their teen and junior prices. They have always been significantly less than the Vermont mountains.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Three thoughts:

1)  These prices reveal the industry's either bold face lie or  its out and out stupidity with their "desire" to bring new skiers/boarders on the to scene.   New skiers/boarders don't know how to discount their way around.  As an instructor who is dedicated to my trade and really believed the management hype that we want to build a lifetime of fun, I am disheartened by these prices.      Could be my mood today or the time of year.    

2)  I think what these prices are doing is forcing folks into season tickets.  Thats ok, I guess.    Priase the mountains who will accept or deeply discount season pass holders as some do in late season, aka, Killington.  

New sliders generally are not purchasing season tickets.   This summer I convinced about 15 people to give skiing another try (40-50 yr olds). I'm afraid prices like this will keep them away.     $90 lift ticket, $40 dollar rentals?, lines, cold weather, $8.00 beers, $11.00 hamburgers, yeild an expensive day.  That or they could chose to go to a NFL tailgate/game for about $100, or a buddy's house with a case of beer.    

I ran these prices past a lady (45) I know.    She quipped "with the hotel room and meals, I would be in for about $1000 for a three day weekend",    "I'd rather fly to Florida and sit my azz on the beach".  

3)  Perhaps the East coast is looking at the economy and increased air fare, hoping the East fan base who flys West will stay home and not be shocked by similar daily rates.

Aside:   Above I am speaking of a single person.   If a family wanted to go, prices like this could burst the budget of middle incomers.   That said, I have read about some Western resorts who are selling $10 tickets to parents who have kids stuck on beginner slopes.    That is smart and positive thinking.    I can recall paying $60.00 to ski behind my 2 yr old.     Granted his pass was free, so in reality we both paid $30, which was not bad.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
It's expensive. It's always been expensive. If you want to make it cheap you need to get on the other side of the cash register and work for your ticket, hopefully you get a job where you can get your equipment at pro prices or shop prices or free as well. But then you are giving up your middle class job for a below poverty line job.

Joining a ski club is about the only way for the first timers to get by with reasonable costs. Bus trips usually include the ride, ticket & rental for less than a ticket retail.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
PeeTex wrote
It's expensive. It's always been expensive. If you want to make it cheap you need to get on the other side of the cash register and work for your ticket, hopefully you get a job where you can get your equipment at pro prices or shop prices or free as well. But then you are giving up your middle class job for a below poverty line job.

Joining a ski club is about the only way for the first timers to get by with reasonable costs. Bus trips usually include the ride, ticket & rental for less than a ticket retail.

Or move to Denver.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by I:)skiing
I:)skiing wrote
New sliders generally are not purchasing season tickets.   This summer I convinced about 15 people to give skiing another try (40-50 yr olds). I'm afraid prices like this will keep them away.     $90 lift ticket, $40 dollar rentals?, lines, cold weather, $8.00 beers, $11.00 hamburgers, yeild an expensive day.  That or they could chose to go to a NFL tailgate/game for about $100, or a buddy's house with a case of beer.    

I ran these prices past a lady (45) I know.    She quipped "with the hotel room and meals, I would be in for about $1000 for a three day weekend",    "I'd rather fly to Florida and sit my azz on the beach".  
I immediately warn people that skiing is going to be one of, if not the, most expensive activity they will ever partake in. The only activities that beat it are serious sailing, auto racing, and horse racing. There's no getting around it. Lately, my knee has been acting up, and, seriously, if I concluded that I couldn't ski much in my retirement years around the corner, I wouldn't be too sad, because there would be a ton of money freed up for other activities. It's a total money drain.

3)  Perhaps the East coast is looking at the economy and increased air fare, hoping the East fan base who flys West will stay home and not be shocked by similar daily rates.
The East coast has benefitted greatly from the recession. A lot of families have decided to forego the western trip to stay close and drive. Look at the numbers. Killington, Gore, and most other large mountains are doing very well. Can't believe some will pay luxury prices for Stratton and Stowe, but, some have money to burn, it seems. I doubt they ski much.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by I:)skiing
Three thoughts:

....or its out and out stupidity with their "desire" to bring new skiers/boarders on the to scene.   New skiers/boarders don't know how to discount their way around.  $1000 for a three day weekend",    "I'd rather fly to Florida and sit my azz on the beach".  
That's a very good point I:). Very true. When you add in equipment rentals, gas, etc it's approaching a whooping $180+  just for a newb to even try skiing for the first time. Majority of people are not going to do that and thus much less newbs.

I've often thought ( and have recommended to Gore ), that they ought to have a lower mtn newbs lift ticket. Make it cheap and it wouldn't have to be for a full day. The rope tows/J-bar $20, add the Sunway chair $5 more. Gore could even limit the total number of days per person to 3 or such.

I've tried to get people to try skiing before and though they expressed a desire to try skiing, they refused to put out that much coin for basically an " experiment ". If they could try it cheap, they would have tried it. Once they liked it, they would have been willing to invest in it.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
I immediately warn people that skiing is going to be one of, if not the, most expensive activity they will ever partake in.
Hookers n blow, man.

Wait, this isn't TGR.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
I've often thought ( and have recommended to Gore ), that they ought to have a lower mtn newbs lift ticket.
In my mind Snowballs you are credited with this idea.  Gore is doing it too, with a Ski Bowl only ticket.

I looked for the TR but couldn't find it.  The mom was saying that she and dad were rippers but with four little kids it just made more sense to stay at the affordable and uncrowded Ski Bowl.

It might not be exactly what you envisioned, but it's easy to manage and pretty cool too.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Lots of places offer beginner packages that include rentals, lift ticket and a lesson for a reasonable price. Hunter offers a single day for $79 or 3 non holidays for $109. Most ski areas offer something like this. Some places even offer a discounted ticket to a skier for bringing a beginner.

Skiing can be affordable even for never-evers. You just have to pay attention to the deals. The prices I usually average for skiing per day are comparable to a round of golf at a public course in North Jersey.

Benny - it would take me 10 years of skiing spending to get to the equivalent of one year of operating serious sailing, auto racing, and horse racing. Also, those three have a huge initial $$$$ just to participate.

Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Well, there's ways to do all three cheap (er). Claim a horse, race nearly stock, sail cats or something small. Still, though, it's going to drain your bank account. Anything that involves staying away from home starts to add up. Then there's the decent snow car you may need, or something to haul the other money suckers.

I never got people complaining about golf. Used clubs and public courses are fine with me. It's the time I can't come up with.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by snoloco
I'm surprised that the $100 barrier still hasn't been broken. I don't think anyone wants to be the first.

The very idea of a $100 lift ticket boggles the mind. Potential new skiers will stay far away.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Beginners should not be at ANY of these mountains.  I tell everyone I know who wants to learn to go to West or Willard (In the capital region that is).  At west you can get on the hill weeknight with gear for 25 bucks.  You can ski weekend at Willard for 40 bucks.  Go during the week and it gets much cheaper.  There is NO reason why anyone new to the sport should be at any of the big hills.  No point.  You are paying for stuff your not using.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
$25 for gear and on the snow @ West is great. Is that on the surface lifts ?

I've found people have a somewhat of a hard time going from their bunny hill to the Face lift but it can be done. Heard others tell newbs they'ld be better off at Gore where it's not so steep.

IMO, Face is the best place for newbs, lifts and terrain wise.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
Spongeworthy wrote
I'm surprised that the $100 barrier still hasn't been broken. I don't think anyone wants to be the first.

The very idea of a $100 lift ticket boggles the mind. Potential new skiers will stay far away.

It has been out west. Aspen, Steamboat, Vail, Breck.

All of those places are crowded.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
My cost per lift ticket comes to $12.50 each. That doesn't seem so expensive.
(Bought 2014/2015 seasons pass at Greek Peak at early discounted price of $399 and plan on using it 32 times).
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I would say that Stowe will break the 100 dollar barrier this year.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
1234 ... 21