|

Re: Lift Ticket Prices for 14-15

campgottagopee
Benny Profane wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Benny Profane wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Benny Profane wrote
It probably hasn't taken hold too much because skiers in general are from the upper classes, so I'm guessing most wouldn't stand for it. The working class skier is rare.
What is your definition of "skier"?? Everyone I ski with is one working SOB, and we're not upper class.
Well, if you're white and ski a lot, you're upper class, for sure. If you work a lot and hard, you really aren't much of a skier, know what I mean?
Not really. I'm white, and ski a minimum of twice a week, I work hard and play even harder and so do the guys I ski with. I thought you maybe you were reffering to the "vacation skier", but I guess you weren't. Maybe we just roll with diff peeps.....that's gotta be it
Heh, well, on second thought, "white skier" is a tad redundant, so we'll drop race as an issue. But, man, if you can ski a minimum of two days a week in today's world, sorry, but you are relatively upper class, compared to the average person who is happy to have a job, and probably two jobs, these days. By working class, I mean somebody who makes little and works six days a week.
Face it, skiing is for at least the upper 5%, and you may be surprised who compromises that group.

BTW, 65 dollar Killington tickets are available at times through a few marketing firms. I have one available to me at work.
I'm really confused as to how being able to ski 2 days a week automatically makes me upper class. I'm just a working stiff who has chosen to live in an area that allows me to do what I love. Hunt and ski.....that is what makes my world go around. And it's all pretty cheap around here. Anyone who has 400 bucks can buy a pass and ski anytime the hill is open. Anyone who has 40 bucks can go hunting. You don't need to be upper class for any of that.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
People who live closer to ski mtns don't need to be upper class to ski a lot. It costs more for flatlanders to get their ski on.

Yes. But, by the very nature of that arrangement, where they live, they probably don't make very much money. In general. As a rule. But, yeah, it's much much more affordable to ski if you don't have to travel far. Generally speaking.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Benny Profane wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Benny Profane wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Benny Profane wrote
It probably hasn't taken hold too much because skiers in general are from the upper classes, so I'm guessing most wouldn't stand for it. The working class skier is rare.
What is your definition of "skier"?? Everyone I ski with is one working SOB, and we're not upper class.
Well, if you're white and ski a lot, you're upper class, for sure. If you work a lot and hard, you really aren't much of a skier, know what I mean?
Not really. I'm white, and ski a minimum of twice a week, I work hard and play even harder and so do the guys I ski with. I thought you maybe you were reffering to the "vacation skier", but I guess you weren't. Maybe we just roll with diff peeps.....that's gotta be it
Heh, well, on second thought, "white skier" is a tad redundant, so we'll drop race as an issue. But, man, if you can ski a minimum of two days a week in today's world, sorry, but you are relatively upper class, compared to the average person who is happy to have a job, and probably two jobs, these days. By working class, I mean somebody who makes little and works six days a week.
Face it, skiing is for at least the upper 5%, and you may be surprised who compromises that group.

BTW, 65 dollar Killington tickets are available at times through a few marketing firms. I have one available to me at work.
I'm really confused as to how being able to ski 2 days a week automatically makes me upper class. I'm just a working stiff who has chosen to live in an area that allows me to do what I love. Hunt and ski.....that is what makes my world go around. And it's all pretty cheap around here. Anyone who has 400 bucks can buy a pass and ski anytime the hill is open. Anyone who has 40 bucks can go hunting. You don't need to be upper class for any of that.
Wow, super pyramid thread post.

Because, if you have the luxury of two days off a week to just ski in the first place, (a lot of working stiffs don't, believe it or not, including those that make six figures plus), you are already living the life of leisure, relative to most middle class Americans. Most who are happy to have a job spend their valuable free time running errands and doing chores if they have that time off. Sure, they'll get in a weekend and a week, but, life calls, otherwise.

And, 400 bucks? You mean a midweek pass? Working people can't ski midweek. More like nearly a thousand or more for one, furgetabout a family. Then there's equipment, clothes, a decent car you can drive in a storm, gas, bed, food, beer, beer, and, beer. It adds up.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I don't think Benny spends a lot of time at smaller ski areas where snowmobile jackets and Carhartts are more common than Patagonia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Heavens no.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
I don't think Benny spends a lot of time at smaller ski areas where snowmobile jackets and Carhartts are more common than Patagonia.

WORD!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Heavens no.

Like I said, we just roll with a diff crew

It's all good tho....enjoy your truffles, I'll stick with my venison jerky and blue light pounders
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Sorry, I didn't realize the argument included tiny ski hills with snow plowing carhartt wearers. My bad. I'm outta here. Carry on.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
LMFAO...Benny your really need to open your eyes a little

I ski with a carhartt wearin dude who used to be on the US Ski Team....he snow plows pretty darn good
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Benny Profane wrote
Snowballs wrote
People who live closer to ski mtns don't need to be upper class to ski a lot. It costs more for flatlanders to get their ski on.

Yes. But, by the very nature of that arrangement, where they live, they probably don't make very much money. In general. As a rule. But, yeah, it's much much more affordable to ski if you don't have to travel far. Generally speaking.
>>>> AHA !!! Are you into the edibles again Senor Profane ?
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
In defense of Señor Profane, skiing is a very expensive hobby. Certainly there are ways to minimize costs, but the average skier is at least solidly upper middle class in terms of income. Especially at resorts like Stratton or Mount Snow.  There may be skiers in snowmobiling jackets and work pants, but they are greatly outnumbered by the kjus wearers at major resorts.

I bet most of the people who buy the early tracks ski passes are on the "Bogner Ski Team."
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
Opposite to what many people say, the truth is that if you go to an expensive mountain like Stratton, you have very few so called "gapers".  This is because most people can't afford to spend $90 dollars on a lift ticket just to try out skiing.  
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
Benny Profane wrote
 The working class skier is rare.
not at gore in black jackets
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snoloco
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Benny Profane wrote
if you're white and ski a lot, you're upper class, for sure...
I'm white and ski 30-35 days. Have I arrived?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Opposite to what many people say, the truth is that if you go to an expensive mountain like Stratton, you have very few so called "gapers".  
Disagree

gaper

A person found at ski resorts that:
1. is not from anywhere near the resort
2. Looks like an idiot on the mountain and takes gigantic turns on flat cat tracks
3. is totally oblivious to the fact that they look like an idiot and are skiing icy bumps directly under the lift when there is powder stashed all over mountain, or stashed in the trees right next to them.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by CMR
CMR wrote
In defense of Señor Profane, skiing is a very expensive hobby. Certainly there are ways to minimize costs, but the average skier is at least solidly upper middle class in terms of income. Especially at resorts like Stratton or Mount Snow.  There may be skiers in snowmobiling jackets and work pants, but they are greatly outnumbered by the kjus wearers at major resorts.

I bet most of the people who buy the early tracks ski passes are on the "Bogner Ski Team."
Meh.

You can make it as expensive or cheap as you like.

I was wearing my $50 flylow shell last March at Stratton on a Fri/Sat/Sun were we paid $33/day for a 3 day pass. This was not part of a Stratton lodging deal. Certainly there is the "monied" set at Stratton, but that doesn't mean they are the only people who can afford Stratton. The same goes for Mt Snow. You can ski almost all the "expensive" places with deals.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
Benny Profane wrote

I am white, ski a lot I work a lot and hard. Sometimes I drive 2hrs one way work 12 hrs  get filthy dirty ,drive 2hrs home and do it all over again the next day. I pack my lunch don't eat out at all during the week and save all extra money for skiing. I have worked every Saturday some years between May and November to hit the Snow hard in the Winter .I am far from the top 5%!
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
CMR wrote

Meh.

You can make it as expensive or cheap as you like.

I was wearing my $50 flylow shell last March at Stratton on a Fri/Sat/Sun were we paid $33/day for a 3 day pass. This was not part of a Stratton lodging deal. Certainly there is the "monied" set at Stratton, but that doesn't mean they are the only people who can afford Stratton. The same goes for Mt Snow. You can ski almost all the "expensive" places with deals.
Of course you can figure out a cost-effective way to ski. I just agree with Benny in that I believe that most people who ski frequently are fairly well off.  I ski at Gore and have a black jacket by the way.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
snoloco wrote
Opposite to what many people say, the truth is that if you go to an expensive mountain like Stratton, you have very few so called "gapers".  
Disagree

gaper

A person found at ski resorts that:
1. is not from anywhere near the resort
2. Looks like an idiot on the mountain and takes gigantic turns on flat cat tracks
3. is totally oblivious to the fact that they look like an idiot and are skiing icy bumps directly under the lift when there is powder stashed all over mountain, or stashed in the trees right next to them.
To you, anyone who skis at Stratton is a gaper.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
1234567 ... 21