1 ... 5678
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lift Tickets and the Cost of Skiing

Harvey
Administrator
Skiray wrote
I replied yesterday but, not sure if the post took or not since I can't seem to find it.  One word about Plattekill "Incredible"
Yeah that was me.  I thought it was a mistake, a post for Plattekill Conditions and I moved it there.

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Plattekill-Conditions-tp4044759p4049992.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
Benny Profane wrote
PeeTex wrote
Tahoe can be glop, teeth chattering frozen, mash potatoes or heaven - it's a crap shoot. I would never spend my money to travel there and ski, I have no problem letting clients pay for me to go there.

Yeah, California is cool, but, generally, the snow quality sucks. The only time I have been able to ski powder there is during and immediately after a storm. Amazing how quickly it turns to gank. Explains why, when I first went there, I saw maybe ten mono boarders during the week. Today, of course, it's snowboarders.

But, I will never go all the way to Whistler, either. Talk about a crap shoot. Awesome place, incredible terrain, but, you can be stuck in rain, drizzle, and fog for days. Hey, if I want that, I'll go to Vermont.
It's called sierra cement for a reason. That being said, it can also be dryer snow. They get more dryer snow days in the pnw and kirkwood then we get over here.

Please stop typing, move over to cheap flight and hotel deals on the internet (something this old man never had) and start doing the down and dirty of spending a not very smart amount of your disposable income (which you should be putting into an index fund at Vanguard) to travel the American west, the finest place in the world to ski, I have been told by those that have been to Europe, and get some days. Then, get back to us.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Not all areas in Colorado get more snow than places like Jay Peak.

On the Cali snow......I love me some cement snow! I enjoy it much more than that Colorado 2%. It sticks to the steeps. I have had many days in Colorado skiing super deep over the head blower but the primary surface of contact was frozen hard pack and moguls you couldn't see. I'm not a fan of those conditions.
And you actually believe that? lmao
Yeah I don't know why people hate on the wetter snow. I totally agree with you.

To the others:
Listen, it's kind of obvious you guys are East coast "homers" and just can't admit reality. The reality that a wide trails means powder getting tracked out not as fast assuming equivalent skier traffic, that wide runs are safer, that you have to ski slow in tight ec glades and they can't compare to open pow on wide open trail/bowl, that you can absolutely have power not blown away and rideable on a wide trail. That skiing is a total rip off and I wouldn't pay 108 bucks to stowe even if I was a multimillionaire. There's a reason the EC is NOT KNOW FOR POWDER SKIING. I'm not pulling it out of my ass. It's reality, but you guys are in denial. There's nowhere on the ec that gets the amount of snow the west gets. Period.  Oh and as far as not listening to meteroligist, I'm not the one quoting articles from the burlington nws statements, maps, climate data ect. ect. You guys give resort reports.

Oh and yes I have lived in Utah....is that some kind of claim to fame? What's the big deal. Lots of people live there. You can get a min wage job anywhere and utah is WAAY cheaper than southern ny metro. I'm not stuck in one place. If I wanted to lie, I'd say I skied corbits at jackson  and all kinds of other stuff like benching 400 and skiing 70mph. Oh and too the peetex guy...utah has a lot of ice? lmao...give me a break. Sure any mountain can ice once in a while, but to compare it to the ec is laughable.

14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
raisingarizona wrote
Not all areas in Colorado get more snow than places like Jay Peak.

On the Cali snow......I love me some cement snow! I enjoy it much more than that Colorado 2%. It sticks to the steeps. I have had many days in Colorado skiing super deep over the head blower but the primary surface of contact was frozen hard pack and moguls you couldn't see. I'm not a fan of those conditions.
And you actually believe that? lmao
Yeah I don't know why people hate on the wetter snow. I totally agree with you.

To the others:
Listen, it's kind of obvious you guys are East coast "homers" and just can't admit reality. The reality that a wide trails means powder getting tracked out not as fast assuming equivalent skier traffic, that wide runs are safer, that you have to ski slow in tight ec glades and they can't compare to open pow on wide open trail/bowl, that you can absolutely have power not blown away and rideable on a wide trail. That skiing is a total rip off and I wouldn't pay 108 bucks to stowe even if I was a multimillionaire. There's a reason the EC is NOT KNOW FOR POWDER SKIING. I'm not pulling it out of my ass. It's reality, but you guys are in denial. There's nowhere on the ec that gets the amount of snow the west gets. Period.  Oh and as far as not listening to meteroligist, I'm not the one quoting articles from the burlington nws statements, maps, climate data ect. ect. You guys give resort reports.

Oh and yes I have lived in Utah....is that some kind of claim to fame? What's the big deal. Lots of people live there. You can get a min wage job anywhere and utah is WAAY cheaper than southern ny metro. I'm not stuck in one place. If I wanted to lie, I'd say I skied corbits at jackson  and all kinds of other stuff like benching 400 and skiing 70mph. Oh and too the peetex guy...utah has a lot of ice? lmao...give me a break. Sure any mountain can ice once in a while, but to compare it to the ec is laughable.
Pretty much everything you said, no one is arguing.  I agree and I don't have west coast experience.  I'll admit it.  But, I make the most out of every snow we get.  If you put a little work into it, you can ride a lot.  It takes more than working a minimum wage job if that is your problem.  But, the way you describe your skiing, you don't seem to be ready to go get it.  Your style is to complain and bitch on the internet.  Dude, it's ski season now and it's off to a great start.  I've got a 27", 35", 13", and a 26" and it is only mid December.  Don't come on here crying because you don't have the means and you don't have the balls to go get it.  It's really that you don't want it that bad.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Z
Coach & PTex, if you guys got rid of that troll you are my heros!
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Holy jee bus! I have a marketing company available to me at work that gets me discounts to various stuff, like Broadway shows and the like. They also have discounts to ski hills. Killington tickets are marked down to 60 bucks, anytime, which is good. But, just today, they released prices for around the country, and, Aspen Snowmass is discounted (cough cough) to 95 dollars! The original price? $124! Really. Good lord.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
Benny Profane wrote
But, just today, they released prices for around the country, and, Aspen Snowmass is discounted (cough cough) to 95 dollars! The original price? $124! Really. Good lord.
But Benny think of the babes. You be rippin big GS turns and they be swooning. I did it once it's totally worth it
1 ... 5678