147 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lift Tickets and the Cost of Skiing

nepa
raisingarizona wrote
nepa wrote
When I lived back East, I went to the mountain... because it was open... regardless of the snow quality.
Or you just didn't know any better.
Good Point.  A few years out West will radically change one's perception of snow quality.  When I was back East, I often wore rose colored glasses, and easily convinced myself that horseshit was gold.

Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by nepa
nepa wrote
campgottagopee wrote
raisingarizona wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Skiing(especially on the ec with it's subpar conditions and hills, not mountians) is a rip off and quickly becoming more and more a sport for the non athletic 1 percent and many of those who afraid of powder for example(okemo and jiminy's clientele).

I call it the hermitage club demographic. That's what it's all going towards. 108 bucks for a lift ticket at stowe. Absolute insanity. If you have a whole family, that's 4 people and rentals. What's that going to cost without even factoring in lodging and gas? 600 dollars to ski for the day on what most likely is ice on overcrowded trails? lol What lower or middle class family could afford that nowadays?

I fully agree but that is why it's important that the loyal working class skier/boarders go out and support their favorite local real "skiers" mountain. Keep those places up and running, buy a seasons pass even if you will probably only make it out a few days. It would be sad to lose places like Hickory, Magic, Plattekill, and the like.
I fully disagree    ---- I think those who ski out west in all that POW are nothing but a bunch of wussies
I fully agree.  Since I moved out west, I've become a complete panzy.  The mountain is open today, but I'm going for a bike ride instead.  This past storm cycle was a warm one, bringing mainly rain for the past week.

When I lived back East, I went to the mountain... because it was open... regardless of the snow quality.

Ha, that happened to me, too, when I lived out there for a season, and I never thought it would. By March I was taking days off to bike down in the front range.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
nepa wrote
raisingarizona wrote
nepa wrote
Good Point.  A few years out West will radically change one's perception of snow quality.  When I was back East, I often wore rose colored glasses, and easily convinced myself that horseshit was gold.

Problem with coming back east is that the horseshit remains horseshit, because you know what gold really is.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Like, you know, owning a Jeep Wrangler and growing a beard off the hill. Not that they aren't excellent skiing experiences.
WTF is wrong with growing a beard and driving a Jeep Wrangler? C'mon!
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
nepa wrote

I fully agree.  Since I moved out west, I've become a complete panzy.  The mountain is open today, but I'm going for a bike ride instead.  This past storm cycle was a warm one, bringing mainly rain for the past week.

That's what we do here, we go skiing.

Same has happened to friends of mine who moved out west. That said, it must be nice to be able to skip a day knowing tomorrow will be better. Around here you just never know.
Well said... I have learned that it's a double edged sword out here.  Snowmaking in my neck of the woods is minimal.  When it's good, it will snow almost everyday.  Last year we had a 6 week period with 33 days of measurable snowfall.  Unfortunately, when you hit a drought (which is an annual event in the East Cascades), the better day might not come for a several weeks.  With minimal snowmaking, it can stay shitty for weeks and weeks, and weeks.  Right now... it's bad... and it looks like better days are a few weeks away.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Benny Profane wrote

The "local working class" of upstate NY or Vermont, if there are even enough jobs to have a "working class", don't ski, and surely couldn't afford to even think of skiing. They're more concerned with heating and food and car repair and roof repair and food costs and medical insurance for the winter.
Snow ridge is affordable. 18 bucks for a mid week lift ticket and season pass at reasonable price. So that's not true for a few places that are left. You can have an affordable ski hill. There are working class people that ski at places like this. I wish there were more places with 20 something dollar lift tickets. That being said, we are moving away from his and towards big business type ski areas like stowe.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
nepa wrote
raisingarizona wrote
nepa wrote
One mans junk is another mans treasure

Bottom line is it really doesn't matter. I've said this many times on here ----- for me it doesn't matter where I'm skiing as long as I'm skiing with my pals. We have too much friggin fun together to get all wrapped up about conditions.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
i never buy a season pass anymore. nothing is worse then having a pass when conditions suck.
I want the flexibility of going where the most new snow has fallen and conditions will be at there best.
conditions in the cats vs southern vt vs adks can vary greatly. my total ski days are way down but the
quality of the day is way up.since i am getting 10 - 15 days in price is not much of an issue.
ski mountains should charge by the hour.i would love to ski for 3-4 hours, have a couple beers and go home.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
sig wrote
ski mountains should charge by the hour.i would love to ski for 3-4 hours, have a couple beers and go home.
+100000
It's much better and more fun to ski a few hours than try for 8 and be half dead(this is when most injuries(acl/mcl ect) occur due to overuse...famous "one more run")
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by sig
sig wrote
 .i would love to ski for 3-4 hours, have a couple beers and go home.

That's called having a pass
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Benny Profane wrote
Problem with coming back east is that the horseshit remains horseshit, because you know what gold really is.
Yup.  This can be said for a lot of things... Before I moved out West, I got my medicine from a buddy of mine who thought he had gold and priced it accordingly.  In hindsight... it was over priced horseshit.  Now I have a certificate that says I can get my medicine at a dispensary.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
That's why Denver rents are going up and up.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
Benny Profane wrote

The "local working class" of upstate NY or Vermont, if there are even enough jobs to have a "working class", don't ski, and surely couldn't afford to even think of skiing. They're more concerned with heating and food and car repair and roof repair and food costs and medical insurance for the winter.
Snow ridge is affordable. 18 bucks for a mid week lift ticket and season pass at reasonable price. So that's not true for a few places that are left. You can have an affordable ski hill. There are working class people that ski at places like this. I wish there were more places with 20 something dollar lift tickets. That being said, we are moving away from his and towards big business type ski areas like stowe.

OK, where do YOU live, and what do YOU do for a living?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
campgottagopee wrote
sig wrote
 .i would love to ski for 3-4 hours, have a couple beers and go home.

That's called having a pass
Camp for the win!!!  .   Getting a pass means you can go whenever the place is open.  That means you can go as little or as long as you want.

If people are only going to ski for half a day, but are willing to pay for a full day, then charge for a full day.  Hunter and MC have no trouble filling up, so why drop the price so much that it causes more monster lines.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
campgottagopee wrote
nepa wrote
raisingarizona wrote
nepa wrote
One mans junk is another mans treasure

Bottom line is it really doesn't matter. I've said this many times on here ----- for me it doesn't matter where I'm skiing as long as I'm skiing with my pals. We have too much friggin fun together to get all wrapped up about conditions.
Totally agree.  Unfortunately, my crew is all still living back East.... enjoying fantastic snow this week.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by snoloco
i had a gore pass for a few years. nothing better then dragging the kids out to ski boiler plate because you
paid for the thing and the winter sucks. like i said quality over quantity. the hourly thing is wishful thinking
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
In reply to this post by Harvey
Having a family of 4 and skiing - wowza, very expensive and we do things on the cheap.

I will say - that we will be at Plattekill this weekend! So, I hope to see some of you there - our first time and I hope to catch some of you on video! I promise to make you look good..

Deal Details:
I just got Plattekill Mountain 1 Day Lift Tickets for $32.99 (44% off) for Saturday, December 13, 2014. Join me? http://plattekill.ltibooking.com

The Alba crew will all be there Saturday and Sunday.

The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
In reply to this post by skunkape
EPIC pass is amazing and I wish they had something like that here.

There is a New England Pass for smaller mountains for like 445. We might just get it as it will allow you access to like 15 small resorts a couple that have big feel to them.
The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by sig
sig wrote
i never buy a season pass anymore. nothing is worse then having a pass when conditions suck.
I'm assuming you live in an area that doesn't get alot of snow? Where you at?
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Benny Profane wrote
That's why Denver rents are going up and up.
Why nyc/boston/washington dc rents go up and up and up and up....The land owners want more...more...more and are squeezing people by not building enough units to keep up with population therefore driving up price. Nothing to do with skiing. If that were the case, salt lake city would be more expensive than denver since it has WAY better access to better ski areas than denver.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)