CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mad River Glen Conditions

Snowhunter
I've never been to MRG before this past Tuesday but I thought that conditions were great!  It was definitely the best day of skiing of the year for me.  The whole mountain was open and there had been around 6" of fresh snow the previous 24 hrs.  On top of that it snowed all morning.  There were some spots scraped down to the ice base but it they could still be skied.  Plenty of people were in the trees and where I ventured in there was plenty of cover.  Definitely worth the trip.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
This post was updated on .
Hey, Snowhunter! Maybe I saw you there. What a great day. I'm with 70's Gore Kid, best report in the biz. It's what I look up to see actual snowfall and conditions. They don't inflate totals at all, and when you get there the nice natural surface makes it feel like you've had twice as much snow anyway.

And the POV from Tuesday:

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
Hey ml242!  There's a good chance we crossed paths at one point or another.  It really was a great day, I'll definitely be heading back there.  I tried to explore as much of the mountain as I could (limited at times by my ability or lack there of).  Having heard a few of you now vouch for the validity of their snow reports I'm going to make sure that I check them whenever I'm looking for info on VT skiing.  Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

70s Gore Kid
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
70s Gore Kid wrote
Best. Snow report.  Ever.  From MRG's website, Thursday, Feb 8th, 2012:

"Roses are Red, ice can be blue.

We may not have tons of snow, but what can we do?"
Ha! Awesome!  

And you can sharpen your edges and rip that ice like an Adirondacker!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by ml242
Nice vid.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Temps were borderline all weekend and you sense that a few hundred feet below the base areas (Bush and Mad) that it was probably raining.  But the cover at Mad was really pretty decent IMO. An inch or two of dense snow fell overnight and it made everything very skiable.

2 feet at the Mad snow stake.

Followed Eric Friedman around.  He told us he hadn't been out in three weeks, and he ate up some very tough lines.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
an inch or two... so they didn't even bother reporting it. Gotta love Mad.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
skies were sunny. temps warm. snow was soft. rocks, roots,grass visible. liftlines long. skiing was great!
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Anyone have any info on MRG conditions lately. Thinking of going tomorrow, never been before. Temps look like 30's and mostly sunny which could soften things up if its in the sun. Any idea which direction the area faces? Don't really want to drive 2 hrs to ski on refrozen concrete bumps.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
firm up high, getting thin down low.... It faces NE I think..... but Mad is always a great time and some things should soften. Canyon would be a good bet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Skied MRG the last 2 days. I was saying to people that I've probably skied there 30 times in my life and I still don't know the place very well because I'm usually following people from stash to unknown trail to stash to the bottom. Hard to get a picture of the mountain in your head when the map isn't really representative of all the stashes and jump out points. Cantelope? Morning Dew?

Anyway, they got 3" on Sunday night and probably another 3" on Monday night, which made for a nice 6" of creamy untracked in Paradise and various off the map locations. Almost everything on the map was perfect bumps with awesome zipper lines and excellent snow conditions. This powder dump is going to make that place a playground. Click on one of Harv's Liftopia links to get $43 lift ticket next week and love life.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Anyone hit MRG lately? I'm thinking about hitting it Friday. Its only $20 bucks and they close on Sunday. They are reporting 100% open and seem to still have a ton of snow.

Anyone up for a road trip from North Creek on Friday AM?
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
I skied MRG on Sunday. Still wall to wall coverage almost everywhere as of last Sunday. Peri Bowl was thin due to its exposure but still passable. Very top part of Cat Bowl thin in the usual spot due to its exposure but still passable. Everything else was fully covered and skiing well. A lot of the terrain was still locked up hard due to the freeze following last week's rain so preservation is still very strong since a lot of the snow that didn't get sun was locked up. I'll be up either Saturday or Sunday. MRG sometimes struggles to limp into April but right now coverage is more like late March in a good year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Thanks River. I am torn at this point between heading to WF and possibly having the Slides open or to MRG. I have never skied MRG or the Slides. I think the decision will be squarely based on how many beers I have tonight.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
My next chance to ski will be Sunday at MRG, looking forward to a nice warm day and a Lawson on the deck at 5.
1234 ... 6