classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
206 messages Options
123456 ... 11
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Magic Mountain Conditions

JTG4eva!
Way, way......WAY more painful.  At least a stone passes, my in-laws (after the $hit I had to deal with yesterday) are only going to grow into a bigger pia!  I'd gladly pass a dozen stones if it meant I didn't even have to deal with my m-i-l again, ever.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

GetAmped
Fortunately, it looks like some more snow coming in over the next few days and those refills should sweeten things up quite nicely by Friday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rustygroomer
Magic is in great shape right now.
Reply | Threaded
|

radam
In reply to this post by GetAmped
If Magic is "on your list" of places to check out... just do yourself a favor and stop wondering if it's going to be good this
weekend.  It will be.  I may or may not be around depending on coaching duties but come upstairs to the bar, find our table, say hey, maybe dole out a few high fives and join in the fun.

A quick teaser from Tuesday's outing:

Reply | Threaded
|

GetAmped
A little clip from Ski Vermont features Magic starting at ~ 00.17 (and I resemble that guy at ~00.27):

Reply | Threaded
|

GetAmped
Miker's edit from last week:

sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
looks like magic will be opening on monday. check there web site
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
sig wrote
looks like magic will be opening on monday. check there web site
Bummer. I was selfishly hoping they would not open Monday and open Tuesday with a total two day accumulation. Guess it is Cannon Twofer for me on Tuesday, then.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
I also assumed tue.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
sig wrote
I also assumed tue.
They only got 3-4" overnight so it was below their 6" mid-week opening policy. They are expecting another 2-4" overnight tonight so tomorrow definitely will be at or above 6" total. This is about what I figured was going to happen.

On one hand, I think it makes sense to try to extend the weekend for folks already at the mountain, especially those that are interested in not heading home towards metro areas until after the storm ends later today.

On the flip side, I suspect most folks staying the extra night at Magic Sunday night into Monday maybe pass holders. I think they might have done better financially with more revenue if they made Tuesday their powder day and they had the most untracked powder in the northeast up for offer. I might have gone tomorrow but since they opened today, that isn't an option. Today wasn't worth it for 3"(ha! it is funny how the current cycle has warped our perceptions that were much more desperate one month ago).
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
good point. i bet some regulars hung out had a fun sunday night and caught a powder day on monday. to bad it was not as advertised. i'm sure it beat a shity sunday night drive home. platte was probably the call today
Reply | Threaded
|

radam
I'll say a few things:

1. Magic is having some issues with the website and snow totals.  I'm not making excuses, I just want you guys to know that there has been some underreporting recently.  It's dumb and doesn't make sense and I've mentioned it to the marketing "department" (one guy).  I can understand not wanting to chance making a trip to the one hill in a weird dry slot with these storms we've had lately but if you're trying to figure how much snow Magic has received, for the moment just do a little more legwork and check the Bromley/Stratton reports and figure Magic is getting a very similar amount. In the particular case of this storm, Magic's Saturday night - Monday night total was about 12-14".  Again, it's messed up that it's not being reported as such but that's what we got.

2. Magic is skiing as good as it has been in, oh.. 5 years maybe.  It is just ridiculously good right now.  If you can go Thursday, GO! If you can go Friday, GO! If you can go over the weekend, GO (But dress warmly)!  Find anyone who looks like a regular, say hey how ya doin', I'm new, happy to be here, would you mind showing me around for a run or two... and you will more than likely be shown something really fun.

3. Magic got pissed on last week and the week before for opening the day after the storm actually happened.  If you're upset that they opened yesterday instead of today... sorry?  Their normal ops are Thurs-Sun and they are just trying to do the best they can for this powder openings.  Yesterday had a great turnout, both from passholders and day ticket sales and if you couldn't be there please just consider coming as soon as you can.

4.  I'll say this as plainly as possible.  If you've been thinking about giving Magic a try, this is the time to go.  I skied runs this weekend that were so good I didn't know if I would ever get to ski anything that good in the northeast.  I re-introduced some friends to Magic this weekend after a long hiatus and hopefully have them hooked.  I met some new people and skied some new lines.  It's really good.  Come out. Be friendly.  All most of us want is for others to see how great this place is.

5.  One final thing.  Yes, black chair is not yet running so we do in fact only have red chair.  It is conceivable that there may be lift lines this coming weekend as it is the start of a holiday period.  While we normally brag about our lack of lift lines the reality is that every once and a while they happen and when they do, they're usually helping to pay some bills.  They won't be unbearable though and while you might ski fewer runs than if you were running high speed quad laps somewhere else, each run will probably be 100% worth it.

For "proof" here are some very short clips from this weekend:
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks for the update.

Don't really know anything about the terrain... the Red serves all?  Does it make sense to bring skins?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Harvey wrote
  Does it make sense to bring skins?
Always
Reply | Threaded
|

radam
Yes, Red Chair accesses 100% of the terrain, and everything funnels back to Red.  When Black runs the story is the same, but getting back to Black from the East Side is a bit more work, especially for snowboarders.  

If you've got skins, bring them.  We even have a new uphill policy which is the best in the biz

"Any uphill skier or splitboarder who successfully climbs the 1,700 vertical feet to
our summit will receive a complimentary token good for a single lift ride (limit one per day, valid only same day).
Simply announce to the lift operator at the base that you intend to climb up, climb to the summit and our summit
lift operator will give you a Free Turns token, which can be redeemed by the previously notified lift attendant for a
free ride back up on the chairlift!"

Reply | Threaded
|

DoWork
I will second (3rd?  5th??) the amazing conditions.  I've definitely skied a few "best ever" runs down a few lines for sure and I have been skiing there almost exclusively for years now.  The snowpack is stacked absolutely killer.

A friend's video from Monday
(Don't know how to post video from mobile here yet, sorry)

http://youtu.be/BF8Rj8cZnOk
"If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by DoWork
DoWork wrote
Trust me it ain't easy.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Harvey wrote
DoWork wrote
Trust me it ain't easy.
Is that difficulty a function of the bargain brand forum?  Will it be easier with the new software coming in the summer?
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
We are moving towards a high speed, cushy bubble forum and are going to raise admission prices to pay for it. But only for high school kids who can afford it. Every else is free. It's costing me $2Gs. I'll PM you with an address for your check.
123456 ... 11