classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
206 messages Options
12345678 ... 11
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Magic Mountain Conditions

Marcski
They are open the entire President's week, aren't they?  We are planning on hitting Magic for a day midweek President's week.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Magic declared a powder day tomorrow. I'm off but I'm waiting to see if I have a sick kid on my hands or not. Earliest I can get there under the circumstances is 10:30ish- still tempting though
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

GetAmped
They are open all of President's week. Today is a powder day and got "snowed in" and was unable to get home last night. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to ski all the pow
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Looks like it'll be good. My son went to school but I'm afraid he's gonna call for a ride home. I'm gonna have to wait a little longer for Magic I guess
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Wind might be a issue   at a lot of mountains today..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
In reply to this post by GetAmped
Magic was unreal today. 14" total from the storm with about 8" overnight. Everything was in play and probably some of the best coverage I have ever experienced there. They have a solid base and this snow on top of it made for a great day. Best of all...no lines of course and no wind issues.

New owners are doing a great job and did a nice job renovating the lodge as well as other upgrades throughout the place. They were even working on fixing the black chair despite the winds today, which will be a big help for them for Presidents week. Rumor is it's getting load tested later this week.

Long story short great day, maybe the best in almost 2 years there. I'm sure pretty much everywhere was good today, but Magic was...well...magical.

Sorry for no pics, but I was having way too much fun to take any.
Reply | Threaded
|

GetAmped
Black chair was certified by the tramway authority and will spin starting at 9am today. Heading out soon and will be there today and tomorrow. Mountain was 100% open last Monday (minus the very top of Black Magic which should have been open) and the trees, both on and off the map, skied well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I'm hoping to head up one day this week with my youngest to show her the wonders of Magic.
Reply | Threaded
|

GetAmped
Warm temps resulted in spring conditions yesterday. Zardoz helped reduce the grabbiness on the lower slopes. Expect the same today after 10am or so. Took my first ride on the Black chair in 3(4?) years and saw a skier on Black Magic which had surprising cover after it apparently had been slayed over and over again. Red Line skied great top to bottom as did Black Line. Even with exceptionally large attendance, lines were short now that both chairs are spinning.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Just saw on FB that Magic stopped selling tickets cause they were full. That's a class move in my opinion. Hopefully lots of folks buy a burger there today to thank management for not packing in more skiers then the hill can handle
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
Magic was awesome on Saturday, even though the black chair only rolled for an hour before it died.  With the Max Pass gone next year, I'm getting a pass there.  Not really in to the green lift reanimation ($$$ for more snow guns), but I like the new owners (they worked from the parking lot to the red chair).  

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Any shots? Magic looked good from the pics I saw.  Magic looks like my kinda place.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

GetAmped
Sorry Harv, no shots. Conditions were fantastic. Total recovery across the whole mountain. I couldn't get there Friday for the pow day but both Saturday and Sunday were filled with soft packed power bumps on the West Side and creamy smooth groomers (and more bumps!) on the East Side. The trees were not really ready although some folks ventured in a few places. With this coming storm they should be game on as well. I'm planning to take off Thursday for what should be a pow day and then be back Saturday and Sunday. It's about time you came over to check things out Harv!
Reply | Threaded
|

GetAmped
In reply to this post by Saratogahalfday
New owners and management are amazing; very hands on and they all love to ski Magic. I ended the day on Sunday running sweep on Twilight Zone and Goniff with the president, the director of the ski patrol and the co-director of the learning center.

The Green chair will do three things that are quite positive:

1) Make it possible to open earlier. Right now they have to blow snow from top to bottom to open. It's a lot of terrain to cover. By only having to cover Wand -> Show Off, they will be ready for early season.

2) Provide access to beginning intermediate terrain. The Nelson Learning Center with the magic carpet has filled one very big gap in the Magic terrain palette: a true beginner slope. The Green chair will allow those skiers to progress to the next level without having to go to the top by having direct access to Lower Magic Carpet.

3) Take the racer load off the top of the mountain. Magic holds a lot of race events and the racers absolutely thrash Trick to get to Show Off. Having them take the Green chair will not only balance the load on Red, it will get them to the race course faster and minimize wear and tear on Trick.

I'm pretty sure if George had not died, the Green chair would be operating already. That was a huge blow, emotionally as well as operationally, to the project.
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
I was there Saturday. Stayed mostly on the East side as I was skiing with lower intermediates. I did Wizard in the afternoon and my legs were shot after that. Lines were about 5 minutes. Does anyone know why the Black Chair went down?
Magic 3-3-2018
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
In reply to this post by GetAmped
Agreed on the green chair benefits, but unless they find someone who can finish it and teach others how to fix it when it goes down, money is better spent elsewhere.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by trackbiker
trackbiker wrote
I was there Saturday. Stayed mostly on the East side as I was skiing with lower intermediates. I did Wizard in the afternoon and my legs were shot after that. Lines were about 5 minutes. Does anyone know why the Black Chair went down?
Black was having start/stop issues. The lift would slow start and they wouldn't load people, gradually get it up to speed, then after loading a few every-other-chairs, the engine would completely shut down and need a restart. That happened three or four times in a row and then they sent us to red.

I was happy with that call, I probably got to the top a lot faster than if I had gotten onto Black. I know they want an intermediate lift but Black needs an engine replacement ASAP. They are throwing good money after bad trying to patch that thing up year after year and then having it break on one of the few days of the year that they actually need to run it. Or if finishing Green will reduce lines on Red on big days, then forget about Black completely and go all in on Green. Either way, patching up Black only to have it not work when needed is not a good situation.

Might go back on Thursday, need to figure out how the storm is going to play out regarding timing. Would be nice to have full game on without worrying about the rocks under foot. That said, Saturday was very nice and my best day of 2018 so far.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Still really nice here Trails palm trees so soft
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|