206 messages Options
1234567 ... 11
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Magic Mountain Conditions

snoloco
Harvey wrote
We are moving towards a high speed, cushy bubble forum and are going to raise admission prices to pay for it. But only for high school kids who can afford it. Every else is free. It's costing me $2Gs. I'll PM you with an address for your check.
Sounds good.  How about Magic Mountain installs a high speed cushy heated bubble 6 pack chair with WiFi and charging stations so people can upload their trip reports from there to this site on the way up using the high speed cushy bubble forum.  Dramatically increase snowmaking and grooming at magic while they are at it and raise ticket prices to Stowe rates to pay for it, but only for middle aged to old men.  High school kids free of course.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
First off they dont have the money for any of that.  And even if they did it would be busy and tracked out.  Then it wouldn't be Magic.  I uploaded my own trip report from their uncomfortable slow double chair through my own data connection.  You would be better off at Stratton.  I've never been there but it sounds like your type of mountain.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
OMG Gladerunner, I'm just joking.  If I want high speed lifts, I will go somewhere else.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

GetAmped
Hope everyone is staying warm out there! Skied Magic last Thursday (2/12) and the conditions are just ridiculously good. Magician from the top was all filled in and soft lines all the way down.  The ledges on Black are also filled in. Trees are all good, even where they've already ben skied. Not sure how it will fare with holiday traffic this weekend but I suspect the cold will keep many people (myself included) off the mountain. I hope to go back up on Monday and see what's leftover from the storm that's supposed to be starting right about now.
Reply | Threaded
|

radam
Just bumping this up because we should have another solid weekend on tap at Magic.  We picked up 4-6" of snow during the week (ok, probably closer to 4) and there's more snow in the forecast for Sat/Sun.  The base is deep, the grooming is killer and I would not be surprised if there are still fresh lines in the woods somewhere.  Come have some fun!
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
red chair is down. check status before heading there sunday
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
looks like chair is up and running. they had to unload the chair earlier. not sure what happened but saw update on FB and twitter
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
that's surprising, the chair was running beautifully when i was there two weeks ago. I'm no doctor, but I give it another 35 years or so.
Reply | Threaded
|

GetAmped
The info I got was that a hydraulic hose failed and needed to be replaced. Once they did that Red was running full speed again. Sucked for people that got stuck on it and had to sit in the cold while it crept along on backup power, but everyone got offloaded and the repair was relatively quick. Heading back up there today for some more great skiing!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
STE and other sources implying that Magic is about to be sold.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Facebook:

"We wanted to provide an update on the status of the sale of Magic Mountain. The deal has fallen through and the mountain will remain in the hands of its current owners, MMM."
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Magic Alpine Update 11/1/15

With Halloween behind us, the team at Magic Mountain is looking forward to a fantastic season. Our operations team is hard at work six days a week updating features all over the mountain. Both the Black and Red Chairs are being worked on daily. The Black chair has received a tremendous amount of work and we expect both chairs will be operational for opening day this year.

Up on the mountain, brush clearing and mowing efforts will make for smooth, clean trails this year. We’ve worked through several seasons to repair and update our snowmaking lines and electrical systems, and we are very pleased with our progress.

As of right now, Opening Day is set for December 19th, weather permitting. Of course, we will gladly open sooner if Mother Nature gives us some early powder this year. Season pass and daily lift ticket sales are up and running, with pre-season deals in our online store. Season pass rates are scheduled to go up December 1st, so get yours now to take advantage of our Fall pricing!
Reply | Threaded
|

GetAmped
I have a pass to Magic again this season and put in some time doing trail work this fall. Some new tree areas are going to be so much fun and the existing ones had a good amount of clearing of brush and deadfall. All we need is some snow and it's game on.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Alpine Update:

"We're excited to unveil our all new online shopping experience for Black Friday and Cyber Monday Sales. The new site is clean and easy to use on any device. You can expect an Alpine Update from us on Tuesday, December 1st.

Adult season passes for $449 (very limited quantities), 3-Packs starting at $109, lift tickets starting at $9.99, and many more deals will be available starting today at 6PM through Monday. Preview deals are live right now with $12.49 Throwback Thursday tickets, $24.99 Friday tickets, and Holiday White Out Passes for under $199. Quantities are limited so don't miss out!"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Hi Skiers and Boarders,

Magic Mountain will be operating the red chair with four trails tomorrow and Friday, with tomorrow's promotional Throwback Thursday $25 lift pass back by popular demand.  

The snowmakers have been busy MAKING SNOW 24 hours a day since Monday. The ALAKAZAM TUBE PARK, the beginner lift and three additional trails will be open on Saturday and Sunday.

On Saturday the Black Line Tavern will have live entertainment from 3pm til 11:30, with Jared Johnson's solo acoustic performance from 3-6, and the band SPECTRIS performing from 7:30 to 11:30

Hope to see you on the slopes.

Sarr Sheffer
Director of Marketing
Reply | Threaded
|

GetAmped
Magic is primed for the next storm with a solid, dense base mountain-wide, but conditions today were "sporty" as one regular described it. Mostly firm, edgeable hardpack with some spots of bulletproof ice scraped to a high sheen on lower Trick. Other than on Showoff, I found very little loose snow to push around. Even Lower Magic Carpet was set up fairly firm.

Only the east side is open and not all of that. Snowmaking continued throughout the day and I expect that will continue all night and pretty much every day/night as long as temperatures continue to stay low. They have not yet been able to cover the easiest way down (Magic Carpet -> Wand -> Hocus Pocus) from top to bottom, so beginners are currently limited to the handle tow. Depending on where they blow snow and groom tonight, that situation could change quickly.

Let's hope for another 6+ inches sometime soon. That should be enough to open up the west side and it won't take too much more than that to put the trees in play.

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Love Magic. Best terrain south of K-mart in Vt. hands down.  I am tuned in to their updates from Geoff. I only wish them the best.

I think it was tough for them to get moving on certain upgrades/delayed maintenance since they closed on the deal so late in the fall, close to the start of ski season. I know Platty always wants to get a beginner run open as soon as possible. Without it, they can't attract families or groups of people of different skiing abilities.  The only issue is that beginner runs generally traverse the mountain and are much longer; 2 miles in Platty's case. It takes a lot of snow to cover that much terrain, especially for smaller areas.  

Magic is finally in good hands and I have hope and confidence that it will flourish.  Like Platty, Magic is a gem.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Hey Magic enthusiasts, any updates for us? I'm thinking of getting the New Hampshire wing of the family to meet me up there this weekend or maybe Monday...
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

GetAmped
Outstanding conditions there last weekend. The new snowmaking system is changing the game there. They hammered away at Talisman until there were whales 12' high. I've never seen that much snow on that trail. And most of it was deliciously light. I did lap after lap there on Saturday. On Sunday I unexpectedly brought my ladyfriend's 13 year old son for his first time at Magic. He had previously skied at Jiminy a few years ago in the afterschool program. The East side grooming was so good. Soft and forgiving, easy carving turns. He didn't even realize he made the transition to parallel turns until I pointed it out to him. After several runs on Magic Carpet -> Sunshine Corner -> Wand -> Hocus Pocus I brought him down Medium and Showoff to get a bit more pitch. He said it was the best run he ever skied so we went right back up and did it again. He's already asking when he can go back.

The entire mountain is ready for 6-8" to make it game on, even in the trees. The base is well established and locked in. They got about 4" from today's storm and the real question is whether the one coming in Thur/Fri will deliver.

Keep in mind that they operate Thur - Sun (non-holiday) unless there's a powder day (6" overnight with 50% trails open).
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Thanks for the info, especially that they're closed Monday. That's important
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
1234567 ... 11