|

Re: Mets

skimore
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Jon951
Been Mets fan since a kid. Was at CitiField opening night with my son. Can't wait for the post season play to get started.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
They've looked like shit the past 5 games, including getting no hit last night. Thought this year was different, but they might be folding down the stretch like they always do... Ugh. Tough being a mets fan...
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Yesh
The playoffs haven't started yet and you have given up.  Let's see what happens.  They will get hot.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Ya gotta believe in the Amazin' Miracle Mets. Don't give up yet, Matt.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
This is the shit that happens only to the Mets. Some Mets fans are saying it was a dirty slide and both batter and runner should be out for interference. That's a judgment call, and it doesn't matter because the umpires decided not to call that.

But my problem is that Utley never touched the base and ran off the field. Then they award him the base saying that he doesn't have to touch the base of he's called out? They just award him a base he never technically reached? That doesn't make any sense at all.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Oh man I got no access to sports TV but this I gotta see. Anyone has video of this post it up.  I'll start digging too.

EDIT: Holy shit is that legit?  So the SS who gets clocked can't get one inch of slack on the bag touch, but the runner can commit aggravated assault and never even close?

SMH

Problem with a pinch hitter is that you probably only get a chance to bean him in late innings with men on base.  Maybe start your worst pitcher and just fire the first pitch into the dugout.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I get that neighborhood might not apply because the throw drew Tejada away from the bag.  Nit-picky, but I get it.  No, Utley never touched the bag....but nobody ever tagged him.  Something to debate for the ages.

What shouldn't be a debate is the inappropriate and should-be-illegal slide.  I hope the League reviews the slide and punishes Utley.  One would think a slide into second would have to include an actual attempt to, you know....slide into second.  Yes, good hard winning baseball is to make it a hard slide to break up the double play......as you slide into second.  He didn't do that.  What Utley did was more of an assault.  No intention to touch second base, his only desire to take out the legs of a defenseless player.  Shameless.

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Should suspend him for the series and fine him 50 grand. Still the Mets lose in that trade, but at least it would say something.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yeah, no getting that game or your starting SS back, the whole series changed.....but at least hold Utley accountable.

How are the MLB rules regarding slides and interference worded?  I'm too lazy to look it up!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Utley will be certain to see a little "chin music" when he goes to the plate in NYC
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sorry Warp not enough.

I didn't see a conclusive angle that showed T didn't touch the bag. Pretty clear that Utley never did.

Found some rules on ESPN.

Rule 6.05:

A batter is out when --

(m) A preceding runner shall, in the umpire's judgment, intentionally interfere with a fielder who is attempting to catch a thrown ball or to throw a ball in an attempt to complete any play:

Rule 6.05(m) Comment: The objective of this rule is to penalize the offensive team for deliberate, unwarranted, unsportsmanlike action by the runner in leaving the baseline for the obvious purpose of crashing the pivot man on a double play, rather than trying to reach the base. Obviously this is an umpire's judgment play.

Rule 7.09:

It is interference by a batter or a runner when --

(e) If, in the judgment of the umpire, a base runner willfully and deliberately interferes with a batted ball or a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball with the obvious intent to break up a double play, the ball is dead. The umpire shall call the runner out for interference and also call out the batter-runner because of the action of his teammate. In no event may bases be run or runs scored because of such action by a runner.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
As all Mets fans know, in the 2000 WS Mike Piazza broke his bat on a ground ball and the top part went back toward the mound and the fat, steroid head, lying piece of shit picked it up and through it in Piazza’s direction as he ran down to first. Piazza’s reaction was like a surprised deer in head lights. He didn’t know what to do so he really didn’t do anything. For all intents and purposes the series ended there. Throwing that bat was like throwing down the gauntlet and the Mets didn’t pick it up.

I’ve always hated Chase Utley, but I’ve respected him for his hard nose style. That said, whether he meant to hurt Tejada or not that play has to be answered by the Mets on Monday. If not I fear it will be 2000 all over again.

I don’t want Matt Harvey thrown out of the game for throwing at a Dodger. What I’d really like to see is Yoenis Cespedes get on first, steal second and put the Dodger covering into left field.
The crowd at Citi Field is going to want blood. It will be intense.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Oh man I got no access to sports TV but this I gotta see.
You livin off the grid guys really sacrifice for your reclusiveness. Can a TV even fit in a tiny house?
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
I don’t want Matt Harvey thrown out of the game for throwing at a Dodger.
Agreed. Can't afford that. But the umps will probably start out with a warning before the first pitch . . . which is total bullshit!

If it's any solace, Hal McRae took out Willie Randolph with a dirty slide in 1978, and the Yankees went on the World Series with Brian Doyle doing a great job subbing. Maybe Wilmer Flores or someone can do the same. There's nothing like a postseason team with a chip on its shoulder.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
LOL we just dumped Comcast as it was costing us $240 a month for the triple. Went bare bones on Fios and got it down to $120. FWIW Fios rocks. Way faster internet, TV picture HD no extra charge, and the remotes work.  Sports package just not worth it to me, I probably watch less than 10 hours of sports a year.

Just got a soft spot for the Mets. Not sure why I care so much about this Utley thing, man it pisses me off.

Thanks for the crosstown support Sponge!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I'll watch over 10 hours of sports today.  It's the only reason for TV IMO.  

I'm not a Mets fan and that was a bs call.  The fielder is supposed to get the neighborhood play in his favor and a runner who has no intention of touching the base is automatically out.  After this I think you will see rule changes next year where that will be an automatic double play if the runner goes out of the base path in an attempt to break up he play.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
Utley suspended for games 3&4
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
It's something I guess.  

Why is there no accounting for the fact that Utley never reached the base?

From ESPN stats:

Reality: Chase Utley ruled safe upon review, slide ruled legal

-- 1st and 2nd, 1 out (win probability = 64.2%)

Scenario 2: No challenge of neighborhood play

-- Runner at 1st, 2 outs (win probability = 53.9%)

Scenario 3: Utley slide ruled illegal

-- 7th inning over (win probability = 23.6%)
12345 ... 8