Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mets

warp daddy
 2 game suspension given to Utley
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Right. This is my major problem with the play. The obstruction rule is a judgment call (but if you suspend the guy because of it, perhaps you should have called it on the field), but this idea that a guy can be placed at a base he never even technically reached is absurd.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'm actually a bit surprised that Torre made the call. That's integrity.

The suspension confirms that the slide was illegal and the umps blew the call.

Next year they will either change the rule, or retrain the umps on how to call it.  Basically you'll have to put some effort into sliding, before the bag.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Harvey wrote
I'm actually a bit surprised that Torre made the call. That's integrity.

The suspension confirms that the slide was illegal and the umps blew the call.

Next year they will either change the rule, or retrain the umps on how to call it.  Basically you'll have to put some effort into sliding, before the bag.
I don't think so. I think it confirms that the suspension is MLB protecting their brand. Even if Utley didn't play Monday he would still have been introduced with the team on the field pregame and Citi Field would erupt. MLB wants to take away the crazy on a national stage. Utley's appeal is being heard today so the 2 days have to be served when the games are in NY and give things a chance to calm down.

I want the crazy...I don't want things to calm down...I think that atmosphere would help the Mets.

I have my problems with Matt Harvey, but one thing is for sure, dude loves the big stage. Tonight is a really big stage.

Harv...allot 4 hours of your 10 hours of yearly sports watching to this game...I got a feelin you won't be disappointed.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
The runner also was off the bag and contacted the glove with the ball in it.  He is out.  How in the world could he be safe?  Incomprehensible or more accurately WTF?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Coach Z wrote
The runner also was off the bag and contacted the glove with the ball in it.  He is out.  How in the world could he be safe?  Incomprehensible or more accurately WTF?
It was a mind boggling call, but Utley never contacted the glove and/or ball. Watch the video.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
When first seeing the play I was outraged that it appeared Utley didn't even make an attempt to touch second base.  Watching it more, Utley definitely goes airborne over the bag in an attempt to take Tejada out at the legs, but he does appear to be reaching down to touch the bag on the way over.  Once Utley makes contact with Tejada's legs it turns his body, and he is unable to touch the bag.

That doesn't excuse the douchebag, but he'll continue to claim he was trying to reach second base.

Any slide that results in a player not touching the bag should be illegal and punishable.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
JTG4eva! wrote
Any slide that results in a player not touching the bag should be illegal and punishable.
 What about the guy just trying to evade the tag
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
I don't think so. I think it confirms that the suspension is MLB protecting their brand. Even if Utley didn't play Monday he would still have been introduced with the team on the field pregame and Citi Field would erupt. MLB wants to take away the crazy on a national stage. Utley's appeal is being heard today so the 2 days have to be served when the games are in NY and give things a chance to calm down.

You make some legit points. I hadn't thought of it this way.

Looks like Utley can play tonight.  I'm wondering if he may have a concussion.

I don't have TBS or whatever channel it's on. A bar is not a realistic option right now. May go old school with AM radio or who knows ...
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Dodger fans using this Mets slide, to make a counter point.

IMO the key word is slide.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Well, if they lose it now I can't bear to watch and it seems unlikely Utley is coming in, sack time.

Dig watching Bartolo strike out the side.

Keep it together.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Now that it's 13-4, I feel like I can confidently go to sleep now.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Harvey was disappointing..But a win is a win..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Well that was not exactly what I was expecting. Seemed like a pretty normal game.

Harvey... IMO good sign when you can win a playoff game when your starter is flat.

That 3-run double was the bomb.  Also glad I got to see Bartolo strike out the side.

Anyone, thoughts on tonight?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Dig watching Bartolo strike out the side.
Why the love for the cheating
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Like I said this was the first sporting event I watched on TV since... well I can't remember. I think I saw a super bowl a few years ago.

So I googled "Bartolo Colon cheater" ... looks like he had some kind of stem cell something? Have they written rules about that kind of cheating yet?

I was just amazed that this porky old dude almost threw his first pitch over the backstop and then struck out the side.  I guess I should have suspected something huh.  I have to admit when he came in I was like WTF?

Makes me wonder if there is any kind of rule that says you have to be human.  Somebody could probably invent a droid that could jack homers and talk to reporters.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hoser!^^

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
YES!!!

Besides the pitchers, Murph is the only one who played that game. Huge at the plate and on the bases.

Thought they screwed up taking Thor out (I woulda left him in for the eighth), but Familia is pitching like a maniac.
123456 ... 8