classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
155 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mets

Harvey
Administrator
Wow... could only watch the game sporadically last night and I missed all the Met offense. I did see DeGrom pitch out of some jams which was really cool. I couldn't believe they were still in it as all I saw was the top of the first inning and runners on base.

Going to be looking for vid of the set up of the Murphy steal and the dinger..

EDIT: http://www.amazinavenue.com/2015/10/16/9548571/mets-postseason-dodgers-playoffs-nlds-daniel-murphy

Holy cow what a choke on that steal.  IMO that's the play of the series.

You suck Chase!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
This post was updated on .
the shift is the stupidest thing ever.  these guys are professional hitters.  if there is a gap from third to second base for Christ sake as a professional hitter you should be able to hit the ball or bunt the ball into the gapping hole.  if I was a hitting coach I would spend time every day during spring season with hitters on my team who get the shift, practicing hitting the ball to the opposite direction.  I'd come up with something to get the ball into the gap.  a bunt push swing - something!!

that said what an awesome heads up play by that dude!  stoked the mets beat the dodgers especially given the cheap shot slide.

however, even though I really no longer follow baseball (Aroid ban) I have to say LETS GO CUBS!!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
ScottyJack wrote
 I have to say LETS GO CUBS!!!
Unless the series goes 4 games the Mets will have to face Jake Arrieta twice. If they can beat him once I think they will win the series. It will be tuff though and I think it will go 7.

There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
You suck Chase!
The only bad pitch I think Familia made is when he left one over the plate and Utley put a good swing on it, but didn't get it all. (Scary couple of seconds). If that prick had set it into the right field seats that would have burst my bubble real good.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
ScottyJack wrote
 I have to say LETS GO CUBS!!!
Unless the series goes 4 games the Mets will have to face Jake Arrieta twice. If they can beat him once I think they will win the series. It will be tuff though and I think it will go 7.
I wish you luck my friend.  But come on!  the cubs haven't won in forever!!  Free Bartman!!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
The only bad pitch I think Familia made is when he left one over the plate and Utley put a good swing on it, but didn't get it all. (Scary couple of seconds). If that prick had set it into the right field seats that would have burst my bubble real good.
Yep. Old Philly Chase Utley would've crushed that hanger into the seats. Dodger Chase Utley just barely missed it.

Anyone you talk to today who makes a big deal out of Murph's 1st to 3rd run hasn't watched a lot of Mets baseball. Murph always tries to do stuff like that. He's probably about 50/50 on it working. Fifty percent of the time he looks smart, the other fifty percent of the time, he runs the Mets right out of an inning. Google "Daniel Murphy bad base running" for a little taste.

That being said, he was the only Met who decided to play offense this series and he singlehandedly pulled them into the NLCS. Props to Murph.
Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
I feared that Familia might be tempted to put a Rawlings baseball imprint right between Utley's shoulder blades.

As much as anything, I'm impressed with Terry Collins' game management last night. It took some sizable gonads to not yank Degrom when Collins visited the mound in the 3rd inning. Obviously, he did not have his best fastball working, but the manager let the young pitcher figure out how to get control of the Dodgers' batters using his secondary pitches. That decision paid benefits last night but will likely get returns multiplied later in the playoffs.
It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
^ Excellent point. It was amazing DeGrom got himself through 6 with the stuff he had last night. Great call by TC to stick with him.

Only management decision I question is coming in with Familia to start the 8th instead of letting Syndegaard start it (and hopefully finish it). Syndegaard's stuff looked filthy in the inning he pitched, and Familia wouldn't have needed to bat with 2 guys on in the top of the 9th if they let Thor go 2.

But Familia pitched lights out, so I can't complain too much.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Anyone you talk to today who makes a big deal out of Murph's 1st to 3rd run hasn't watched a lot of Mets baseball. Murph always tries to do stuff like that. He's probably about 50/50 on it working. Fifty percent of the time he looks smart, the other fifty percent of the time, he runs the Mets right out of an inning. Google "Daniel Murphy bad base running" for a little taste.
That's me. I watched 3 games all season, hell in the last 5 years.  I had an idea that was true (some bad decisions at times) based on the way the TBS announcers handled it.

I realize hindsight is 20-20 but IMO that was the time to try something like that. I didn't see all of the game but I felt like the first inning gave the game a bit of a negative pall for the Mets. To me the question was... were the Dodgers going to finally make DeGrom pay in a big way or was their lack of ability to capitalize going to be the story.  Taking that chance on the road somehow felt right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Good start to the NLCS. Harvey pitched well. Really well, early.

Murph is playing out of his mind. Still need to get Cespedes, Duda, and Wright hitting.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Made it through the bottom of the seventh. Glad it worked out!  Nothing better than cutting runs down at the plate.  I'd thought the Mets started on the road and was hoping for a split.  Kinda now want to take it tonight too.

LETS GO METS.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Another great performance, Murph included.

Even if it's true why would you be putting this out now?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-not-plan-bring-daniel-murphy-back-sources-article-1.2402201
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Harvey wrote
Another great performance, Murph included.

Even if it's true why would you be putting this out now?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-not-plan-bring-daniel-murphy-back-sources-article-1.2402201
Good point, but the article says 2 team sources...like who?
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
One win away from the World Series.

Knowing the Mets, they'll lose the next two games and the NY media will lose their collective minds, then they'll win it in 6.

But it would be nice to see a sweep.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Man they seem to do no wrong, was great to see DW and C get involved.

With a sweep how long will the layoff be?  I don't even know who is in it in the AL.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Kansas City and Toronto..
I'm sure KC will be in the WS.
"Peace and Love"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Congrats to all the Met fans.  What a great team.  Daniel Murphy is un fricking believable.  When you do something for the first time in baseball history that really is something.

A Toronto Met World Series would really be something to watch
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Last night's blowout I can live with. Game One bummed me out.