Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NYSB Mobile

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Do you access NYSB via mobile?

We're considering setting up a separate mobile site and I'm looking for feedback. If you do access the site by a mobile device, what problems do you encounter?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: NYSB Mobile

Condor
i cant stand mobile sites when im on my itouch. i dont know about everyone else but i have no issue using the normal site on my itouch.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADKarver
On my iPhone as I type, and I think the NYSB site runs well. I think mobile sites are already dated with today's wifi and cellular speeds.
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
I have no problems with the site as is on my iphone. My old phone wouldn't load it at all.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Same here, current site works just fine.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Interesting.  I also have resisted developing mobile site because I like the way the site works on my own phone.  Actually the trend in webdev is to create one site that works on all devices.  The thing about NYSB is that the BLOGGER part of the site (Home page, weather page etc) is ANCIENT (code written in 2004 I think) and the fact that it works on  variety of mobile devices has got to be some kind of coincidence. A lot of blogger sites just don't work on mobiles.  The Forum, Magazine and Ski Area Directory are much more current.

I had a blackberry which couldn't handle the way the Forum was integrated with the Blog and all I got was a blank screen on the forum page.  When I switched to the droid that issue was resolved.  Oddly on my blackberry the animated radar shots worked (were actually animated) but on my droid they don't.  That's too bad as I really like to the radar when I'm skiing and there is precip in the air.

Parts of the site I use from my phone are the weather page, ski conditions links and at times the forum. Curious about what others do via mobile.  Mobile use really jumped this year.  Last year it was about 5% of page views and this year it was more like 12%.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Current site works fine on the Android, I mostly view the forum pages.  No issues.  Agree with previous comment on not using the mobile sites from my mobile device,  I always click on the "view full site" link when offered.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Hey Harv,
I often access the site when I am on my way up or up for the weekend and I don't bring my pc along.  I did have some trouble last year trying to upload pictures from my iphone which was a bummer.  I did a couple of updates in the forum from the hill and it would have been great to be able to post from the pictures on my phone.

D
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Never tried to upload a photo from my phone.  First attempt:

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
^^That seemed to work ok. Seemed like the biggest issue was file size. With 3G it took about 15 seconds.  Putting together an actual TR might be a bit tough though.  What was the problem that you had?
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Hey Harv.  Are you on android?  My wonderful iPhone comes up with "Choose File" grayed out when I click on "Insert File".  The iPhone must not know how/allow access to the images on the phone.  Oddly enough if I select "Upload a File" from the "More Options" dropdown it just posts my message.  Strange.  iPhone 4S.

D
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Yea it's a droid. Like I said in an earlier post, I don't really understand why my droid is better at most webstuff than my blackberry was, but fails at some very basic tasks - like showing an animated radar shot.

In general I like to wait until I'm back at my laptop to post pics because I can shoot hi-res originals but size them down for fast loading.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Made some changes to the site, be curious to know if the mobile experience is still good, or if you are seeing bugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
Do you access NYSB via mobile?

We're considering setting up a separate mobile site and I'm looking for feedback. If you do access the site by a mobile device, what pages do you access? What problems do you encounter?  What would you like to see a mobile site do?
Wondering if opinions have changed on this?

Forum (and Magazine and Directory) are actually different/separate software form the Blog, Weather Page, Rafting etc.  Forum is slated to get an update that should help eliminate some mobile posting issues.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
The blog reads OK on my tablet, could be better.  Forums are nearly useless, too many buttons to dig down to get to things.  Have you considered opening up your RSS to allow full articles to be let out?  I read almost all of my news/blogs on flipboard and having to jump to the site is a bit of a pain, though you are probably looking to keep ad views up.  

If the site was a bit more "responsive" that would be great.  Speaking of that, whoever did whitefaces web makeover did an excellent job, I would love to see gore do the same.  
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Harvey
cannot post from phone.otherwise full access
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Footer
Footer wrote
The blog reads OK on my tablet, could be better.  Forums are nearly useless, too many buttons to dig down to get to things.  Have you considered opening up your RSS to allow full articles to be let out?  I read almost all of my news/blogs on flipboard and having to jump to the site is a bit of a pain, though you are probably looking to keep ad views up.  

If the site was a bit more "responsive" that would be great.  Speaking of that, whoever did whitefaces web makeover did an excellent job, I would love to see gore do the same.
Just checking... you know how to go to the last post?  I don't use the forums via mobile much, but my problems (on a droid) have been posting images. It's quirky - can only do it about 50% of the time.

Responsive: It's not going to be too hard (ie expensive) to be responsive down to tablet.  If I can free up the funds we may do that in July.  Down to smart phone is a different animal.  The problem is the sidebars. I am a big fan of the all the links, radar and weather maps - that's the content that I consume on my phone.  When I'm skiing or heading towards the mountains I'm always interested in the weather.  The site was originally (2008) designed to help me make decisions about where to ski, the fact that others showed up kinda surprised me in the beginning.  Analytics does show a lot of people using the sidebar links and maps.  Weather is the third most used page in season.

The biggest issue is really money.  If you noticed the site down on Tuesday that is related to a coding issue that is way beyond my expertise to fix.  It is being fixed and its costing more than a years ad revenue. (The ads are mostly an amusement for me).  I have to take it slow fixing things to keep costs reasonable.

While I really depend on my phone, for this site, work and life in general, I hope the full screen never goes away.  I like seeing the images big, and often wait to read TRs that are posted until I am back at my laptop.

The Whiteface site and the Gore site were both done by the same company - Adworkshop.  The Whiteface site is newer so it got a more "modern" responsive design. (Next will probably be Bell, not Gore).

Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
It would be nice to be able to post pics from the phone that way you can really live vicariously real time!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This is a test of an improvement of the forum code designed to make it more mobile friendly.  

Would appreciate it if others would test it too. Post some text and an image in this thread, if you can.

Let me know what phone you are on too.

Seems like an improvement to me.

Droid razr.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
cannot post mobile
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.