classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
401 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 21
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Objectivity

MC2 5678F589
Terrible article. Again, people don't need to be reminded about bad things that happened in the past so that they don't do those bad things now. Germany is remembering the Holocaust just fine without statues of Hitler and Goebbels all over the place.

Also, the blast on Democrats' "soft bigotry of low expectations" gives the author's political slant away.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I think the Hitler analogy is a bad one. Slavery wasn't about killing people. Hitler was all about killing people.

I think the people of this country need to be reminded of our past. Obviously it bothers some, so why try and cover it up por hide from it.

This article does a good job pointing out why they should stay as well. Or at least I think it does. Feel free to disagree with me tho

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/08/16/confederate-statues-banish-robert-e-lee-lets-talk-allen-guelzo-column/568795001/
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
They keep the concentration camps around as memorials.  I think your comparison of the confederacy to Hitler is apples to oranges.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I think the comparison is more like Cortland Apples to MacIntosh apples, but everyone is welcome to their opinions.

Also, we still have Plantations in the South to remind us of Slavery. Trump wants to build another one:

http://www.theroot.com/trump-branded-hotel-to-celebrate-the-antebellum-south-1798328560
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Huh??? You think of slavery every time you see a Plantation. Really???

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC, did you know that a tiny number of slaves actually ended up here in the US??

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-americans-many-rivers-to-cross/history/how-many-slaves-landed-in-the-us/

"And how many of these 10.7 million Africans were shipped directly to North America? Only about 388,000. That’s right: a tiny percentage."
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
What the hell is wrong with you people?!?  Why are not laughing at my PeeTex aloe vera post?
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
What the hell is wrong with you people?!?  Why are not laughing at my PeeTex aloe vera post?
420 post!!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
MC, did you know that a tiny number of slaves actually ended up here in the US??

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-americans-many-rivers-to-cross/history/how-many-slaves-landed-in-the-us/

"And how many of these 10.7 million Africans were shipped directly to North America? Only about 388,000. That’s right: a tiny percentage."
Wow. You're now at the point where you're arguing that holding people as property, enslaving their children and raping their wives for 200 years, isn't so bad because it wasn't "about killing people".

And you're arguing that since the original number was "small" (nevermind that 388,000 people is a shit ton of people in the 1700s and 1800s), it's not such a big deal that they were brought overseas against their will, forced to work on Plantations, and forced to work for "master's" that could beat them, whip them, and kill them if they wanted to.

Christ, camp, what the fuck?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Lmao
Hey, I'm not the one who said we should ignore tiny numbers. I'm looking at it objectively. Not arguing, simply pointing out the facts.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
Lmao
Hey, I'm not the one who said we should ignore tiny numbers. I'm looking at it objectively. Not arguing, simply pointing out the facts.
You're discounting that families were enslaved for generations. There are about 37 million black people in this country, and 80% are descended from slaves (then black people were treated like shit for a hundred and fifty years after slavery was outlawed). Maybe try having some compassion, bro.

Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote

Don't be that guy.
That's funny.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Huh??? You think of slavery every time you see a Plantation. Really???
Yes.

The plantation owners convinced the poor white folk to fight for "their way of life" , slavery driven economy, even though the poor white folk rarely had slaves and were constantly screwed by the plantation owners. This type of subterfuge continues today. I guess when a plan works, you stick with it.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Where does the line get drawn? Now we're disrupting grave sites?? Where does the movement stop? When does it become wrong. Is it wrong to disrupt a persons final resting spot?
 And for the record MC, this link and all my links come from MSN which is my homepage. It's a good article that <gasp> talks of both sides of this issue.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/battle-over-confederate-monuments-moves-to-the-cemeteries/ar-AAsi6Gm?ocid=ientp

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Is it wrong to run pipe line through native american grave yard then too?  

Where was your voice on Standing Rock??  

More CampWhiteSympathy...  Sad, very sad...
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
You probably prefer vanilla cake to tRump's beautiful amazing chocolate cake!

And if given the choice you probably go with white chocolate over the special dark!!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
Is it wrong to run pipe line through native american grave yard then too?  

yes! no doubt
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote

More CampWhiteSympathy...  Sad, very sad...
No, what's sad is MC and now you can't look at things objectively
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
What's also sad is you spout off at the mouth without reading the article
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I really like special dark and white chocolate so id pick both!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
1 ... 3456789 ... 21