401 messages Options
12345678 ... 21
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Objectivity

campgottagopee
raisingarizona wrote
Yes, why not rewrite the memorial plaques to describe the controversy and different aspects of why we could celebrate or not celebrate some historical figures? Leave it open for interpretation and educational without bias?

I guess that would make too much sense and confuse the majority that loves the group think mentality and gets angry when being challenged by critical thinking questions. Ya, F- that, lets keep it at a GI Joe vs. Skelator level. Derp.
Unfortunately I think you nailed it when you said, "I guess it makes too much sense."
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote

It's funny to hear coastal liberals talk about what's best for the Indians and cultures they aren't familiar with.
You can take the boy out of Jersey but you cant take the Jersery out of the boy.....

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Yes, why not rewrite the memorial plaques to describe the controversy and different aspects of why we could celebrate or not celebrate some historical figures? Leave it open for interpretation and educational without bias?
This is the spot where Hitler died in Germany:

There's a tiny plaque outside of an apartment complex. Instead of that, you think there should be a giant Hitler Statue? What about a memorial plaque that "describes the controversy" of Holocaust denial? A lot of people don't think the Holocaust happened at all. Do you think their voices should be heard? Should we "leave it open to interpretation without bias? No?

Then fuck the Confederacy and everyone who fought for it. They lost. They are losers. And so is everyone who hangs a Confederate flag from their house or Truck.

The Confederate flag is a giant fuck you to black people (just as Holocaust denialism is a fuck you to Jews). There is absolutely no reason that the government should sanction that shit.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
I agree with both of you. I agree that going forward this is what needs to be done. People are all in an uproar over friggin statues that were put up 100 friggin years ago??? Shit man the people who are responsible for them aren't even around anymore. Let them be.
A lot of those Statues were put up in the 1950s and 1960s (as a fuck you to Black people attempting to get Civil Rights). A lot of those people are still around.

Now I understand that others may think differently than me, I'm fine with that. Despite the fact that the majority of Americans think they should stay, or could care less one way or the other...
Depends how you ask the question:

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Finally, it's not even like this shit is some kind of high art. It was just a bunch of hack companies trying to get rich:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/politics/why-those-confederate-soldier-statues-look-a-lot-like-their-union-counterparts/2017/08/18/cefcc1bc-8394-11e7-ab27-1a21a8e006ab_story.html

Many of the South’s Silent Sentinels turn out to be identical to the statues of Union soldiers that decorate hundreds of public spaces across the North. Identical, but for one detail: On the soldier’s belt buckle, the “U.S.” is replaced by a “C.S.” for “Confederate States.”

It turns out that a campaign in the late 19th century to memorialize the Civil War by erecting monuments was not only an attempt to honor Southern soldiers or white supremacy. It was also a remarkably successful bit of marketing sleight of hand in which New England monument companies sold the same statues to towns and citizens groups on both sides of the Civil War divide.

It took some years before Southern customers caught on and sought to buy statues of soldiers who were more obviously Grays rather than Blues. Statue manufacturers eventually gave their Confederate models a slouch hat instead of the Union topper that looked more like a baseball cap, and a short shell jacket rather than the North’s greatcoat, and a bedroll to replace the Union man’s knapsack.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Fuckin' New Englanders.....
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote

Then fuck the Confederacy and everyone who fought for it. They lost. They are losers. And so is everyone who hangs a Confederate flag from their house or Truck.

More arguing over facts

certainly seems as though you're having a tough time with objectivity

I'll ask you again. Should we hate the black slave owners and indian slave owners as well, or just the white boys to keep racism alive. How about all the black slave traders??? Are you going to give them a pass too?? Then there's the black confederate soldiers, do they deserve your hate?? What about when all these statues and monuments are finally gone. Is racism then over??? Does the color of ones skin matter when it comes to your hate??

If you really hate slavery maybe concentrate your hate where slavery is alive and well. Like Russia??? Go protest in N. Korea for a while.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
I'll ask you again. Should we hate the black slave owners and indian slave owners as well, or just the white boys to keep racism alive. How about all the black slave traders??? Are you going to give them a pass too?? Then there's the black confederate soldiers, do they deserve your hate??
How many people are we talking about? Less than 100 maybe? Those people aren't celebrated by modern day white Supremecists, there are no statues dedicated to them, and there are no neo-nazis protests about "the evil government trying to erase their history" when it comes to those people. I'm going to continue to ignore them if it's alright with you (just like I ignore millions of people throughout history who may have done bad shit).

What about when all these statues and monuments are finally gone. Is racism then over??? Does the color of ones skin matter when it comes to your hate??
No. Racism won't be over. But the monuments should still be removed because the government shouldn't be tacitly supporting the Confederacy and its White Supremecist policies.

If you really hate slavery maybe concentrate your hate where slavery is alive and well. Like Russia??? Go protest in N. Korea for a while.
No. I'm going to work on the country I live in and try to make it better. Especially when prisoners in this country work for slave wages and even the middle class doesn't get paid enough for their work.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
You're going to ignore them??? Seems a little hypocritical to hate on one simply because of their color. Some may even call that racism.

You keep hating on the white boy. You're doing a great job keeping racism alive and well. Good job!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote

What about when all these statues and monuments are finally gone. Is racism then over??? Does the color of ones skin matter when it comes to your hate??
No. Racism won't be over. But the monuments should still be removed because the government shouldn't be tacitly supporting the Confederacy and its White Supremecist policies.

So the color of ones skin does or doesn't matter?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
You're going to ignore them??? Seems a little hypocritical to hate on one simply because of their color.
I'm not ignoring them because of that. I'm ignoring them because there is a tiny number of them, there aren't statues dedicated to them throughout the south, and there aren't people protesting the removal of those Statues.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
Does not and should not.

Except that we should try to get a diversity of opinion from all people with different backgrounds when trying to find solutions to the problems of the world, including, but not limited to, academic settings, where minority voices are underrepresented.

One of the problems in the world is racism, and I think we should probably get the opinions of black people, native Americans, Hispanics, and others in addressing that problem.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
You're going to ignore them??? Seems a little hypocritical to hate on one simply because of their color.
I'm not ignoring them because of that. I'm ignoring them because there is a tiny number of them, there aren't statues dedicated to them throughout the south, and there aren't people protesting the removal of those Statues.
Jesus man, then ignore the KKK, they're a tiny number too. Ignore the people who want these statues to come down, another tiny number. If we would've ignored them 3 people would not have died because of a stupid statue. Maybe do as you say and not as you do?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Does not and should not.

Agree.

Then why should Black Lives Matter? Shouldn't it be Black Lives Matter Too? If the color of one's skin truly doesn't matter to you then you should see what I'm saying.

MC2 5678F589 wrote

Except that we should try to get a diversity of opinion from all people with different backgrounds when trying to find solutions to the problems of the world, including, but not limited to, academic settings, where minority voices are underrepresented.

One of the problems in the world is racism, and I think we should probably get the opinions of black people, native Americans, Hispanics, and others in addressing that problem.
I agree with most of this.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
The "Too" is implicit in Black Lives Matter.

And yes, I generally ignore tiny groups, like the KKK or, say, a bunch of NFL players kneeling. I give that shit about zero thought over the course of the day. But since we're talking about all sorts of stuff on here, I like to get involved in the conversations, so I form opinions and throw them out there.

I do think that the racism involved in gerrymandering, voter suppression, the education system, and police treatment are worth talking about a lot more than a bunch of dickhead Nazis, but I just roll with the conversation.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Should we dig up all the soldiers is Arlington Cemetery and move them to another location??? After all the property belonged to General Robert E. Lee. We can't have anything to do with him or his name! They must be removed and buried in another location not associated with Lee!!!

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Explore/History/History-of-Arlington-National-Cemetery
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Now you're just being ridiculous.

Like, your posts on this topic aren't funny and they aren't the biting social commentary that you think they are.

You're getting dangerously close to this:

Don't be that guy.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Now you're just being ridiculous.

Exactly. The entire thing is ridiculous. Leave the darn things alone. The tiny number of people they bother should just deal with it, by them doing so it will save peoples lives.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
But it's not a tiny number of people. Even if you use the number that 25% of the country want them removed, that's 87.5 million people.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC, what do you think of this guys take on these monuments. I was trying to yank your chain earlier but in no way am I attempting to do that. This guy seems to a=have some legit points, no??? This really is a slippery slope. I wonder how much of this was thought through.

https://www.catholicvote.org/why-should-we-care-about-confederate-statues/
12345678 ... 21