Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Opening day rumors 2014

Z
This post was updated on .
Rumor running around LP today is that Whiteface is trying to open this weekend

Would probably have to down load.  It was warm enough to play golf this afternoon but supposed to get really cold  starting Wednesday afternoon.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Opening day rumors 2014

Harvey
Administrator
Be surprised if WF doesn't open something Saturday.

Gore will probably open the bunny hill.

Hunter could open something but knowing them they might not just to be mysterious.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I would love it but I  played golf after work today.  It was in the 60s this afternoon.  The ground is not frozen and the grass is growing.  Going to have to download.  It still takes way more snow than what Killiington is doing to get to mid.  Kudos to AK and the snow tribe if they can pull it off

Sounds like you have some info you want to share but can't
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Coach Z wrote
I would love it but I  played golf after work today.  It was in the 60s this afternoon.  The ground is not frozen and the grass is growing.  Going to have to download.  It still takes way more snow than what Killiington is doing to get to mid.

Sounds like you have some info you want to share but can't

I don't have any info... for once that was pure speculation. :)

Gore is giving a 50/50 kind of answer to opening Jamboree, and I just assumed that higher up it would be easier.  I had no idea that it was that warm up there. The midstation forecast today was upper 30s and we didn't hit 60 here in the flatlands.

It's going to get cold. Could Whiteface open Excelsior to Lower Valley with 60 hours of blowing?

I see what I can find out.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Be nice if Gore was open for all of Thanksgiving week.  I have to in Albany that Tuesday afternoon to pick up someone at the airport.  Could drive north in time to get in a ski day before then.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Most likely gore and WF would only be open on weekends until the day after Thanksgiving
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
It easily got up to 55 in the wilderness today, Its 45 this AM with a big line of green on the radar. But getting much colder tonight. The latest forecast is for cold but not the lows that they are seeing in the mid west. By Thursday afternoon once it dips below freezing it's not forecasted to go back above for a long time with snow early next week. Possibly some snow next week a well.

I doubt I'll be skiing for awhile, but this is a good start. Lets just hope that we don't get the same washout we had last year.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I agree with Coach that Gore and Whiteface won't do midweek until after Thanksgiving.  Not specific info but a guess based on experience.

Heard from Whiteface. A sees a smaller window of ideal temps than I mentioned above.  He's going for it, but won't make the call until  Friday. The word he used was "iffy."
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Further south, Hunter is planning to start by the end of the week.  Hopefully they can make 11/21 or 11/22.  Windham usually opens on black Friday, so 11/28 for them.  MC hasn't made any predictions yet, but they won't open till sometime after Thanksgiving, sometimes they don't open till after Christmas in a bad year.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
Seems like a waste of $$ to open Jamboree. That money could be better spent elsewhere.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Further south, Hunter is planning to start by the end of the week.  Hopefully they can make 11/21 or 11/22.  Windham usually opens on black Friday, so 11/28 for them.  MC hasn't made any predictions yet, but they won't open till sometime after Thanksgiving, sometimes they don't open till after Christmas in a bad year.

Weren't you advising people to go there on Christmas?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
No, I don't recommend it during the holidays.  I only go during the holidays cause it is my home mountain and better than nothing.  It is great on Christmas day itself though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Jiminy is planning on opening this weekend:

http://www.jiminypeak.com/snowmageddon
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by snoloco
I'm watching to see what Hunter does.  For a first day of the season, I don't need much to be open to have some fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
marznc wrote
I'm watching to see what Hunter does.  For a first day of the season, I don't need much to be open to have some fun.
The first day is so good at Hunter before any rain/freeze or other weather does any damage to the snowpack. We were really lucky and had early snow last year which made conditions super fun, even with the limited terrain.

http://nyskiblog.com/hunter-mountain-opening-day-2013/
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
HUNTER IS LIGHTING THEM UP TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!  
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
marznc wrote
The first day is so good at Hunter before any rain/freeze or other weather does any damage to the snowpack. We were really lucky and had early snow last year which made conditions super fun, even with the limited terrain.

http://nyskiblog.com/hunter-mountain-opening-day-2013/
Yeah, I remember the snow last November.  Wasn't expecting to have to think about snow in Lake Placid for Thanksgiving.  My NC minivan is not exactly set up for northeast winter driving.  Skied at Whiteface that Sat for the first time in decades. Plan on doing that again with my daughter and her roommate.

Thanks for the link.
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
Mount Snow is shooting for the 21st. And so am I! I don't love Mount Snow, but I need turns. I'll be in Albany at my in-laws for the weekend...just don't tell them where I am when i tell them I'm running errands!
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote

I'm having a hard time buying that.  I'm in western Mass now and I walked to dinner without a coat on
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
Coach Z wrote
Marcski wrote

I'm having a hard time buying that.  I'm in western Mass now and I walked to dinner without a coat on
Overnight lows in the twenties and teens for the foreseeable future according to accuweather.
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen