Personal Ski Goal: New Resort Each Season

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
107 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Personal Ski Goal: New Resort Each Season

MC2 5678F589
I think I'd rather ski my favorites (Stowe, MRG, Killington, Sugarloaf, etc.) than try something new that will be inferior. Like, I've never skied Nashoba Valley or Berkshire East before, but I'm not going to skip out on Plattekill or Gore to make sure I get over there. I'd rather ski the mountain I know, especially if conditions are good.

Also, I don't know if there is any mountain in the east that I haven't skied yet that I'm jonesing to get to. I guess I'd like to explore the Backcountry around Bolton Valley? But if I was all the way up there and holding Sugarbush tickets from a Warren Miller movie, I'd rather go there.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
That being said, I might go to Greek for their Telefest this year. And I always like to explore new BC spots.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
I am hitting telluride this year, taking a day out to get some backcountry snowmobiling in as well.    
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Also hoping to see Camp on his home turf. (Plattekill too.)

well you better look in the bar!  hahahahahha!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by ml242
Since I have been in the PNW, I've ridden all of the WA state resorts including the feeders.  Last year I finally got to Loup Loup which completed the set of areas in WA.  B.C. is closer for us than OR.  For the past couple of years, we have been focusing on north of the border.

This years goal is to use more of the reciprocity deals with my Mission Ridge pass.  Like a good ski bum, my wife said I need to try to get my fix as economically as possible.  New to the pass holder benefit list this year are free tickets at Grand Targhee.  It's a bit of a drive, but we are planning a couple of weeks in Jackson/Targhee for March.  I've ridden Jackson Hole a few times (best in the US in my opinion), but have never been to GT.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I loved GT when I was in Wy!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
I'm targeting Squaw Valley this winter.  

Does it have to be resorts?

My goals this year, conditions permitting, include time in the ADK Backcountry.  On the short list are exploration around Wright Peak and Mount Colden.

2015/2016 season for me saw Crystal Mountain in the PNW.

2014/2015 season for me saw Tuckerman's.
Squaw and Alpine are so fun... I really recommend going to Squaw with someone who knows the place. There are some insane lines and cliffy sections, probably the most puckered I've ever been at a resort, trying to billgoat cliffs on refrozen corn having no idea how long the section went or if I could get back to the lift.

Most of it is mini-golf considering how much vert is there, but even in those small sections it just seems like there are so many secrets. Lastly, I've been a few times and never climbed to the Eagle's Nest. You should google it, there's a rope there if you're looking for it. Definitely a regret, I'd have liked to see the view and maybe given Shane a moment of silence.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
mattchuck2 wrote
Also, I don't know if there is any mountain in the east that I haven't skied yet that I'm jonesing to get to.
How are you going to know if you don't try them?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Another personal goal for this season is 35 trips up WF before Christmas!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Magic
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
MRG, Jay and Smuggs are on my list.  Hope I can check one off and a new Colorado mountain this year.

Def need a NYSB day at Greek!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
ml242 wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
Also, I don't know if there is any mountain in the east that I haven't skied yet that I'm jonesing to get to.
How are you going to know if you don't try them?
I've never tried Heroin before either, but I'm not about to go buy some needles.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
There are a few lines left in this zone that need to be skied that I don't think have ever been done before. It's hard to say for sure but we are 99.99% sure that some firsts are left.

Same area from a different angle.

I want to try some new stuff (for me) in this area too.

Reply | Threaded
|

2000yearoldskier
Nice pictures RA, the idea of first decents  is pretty cool in this day and age.
Regarding Taos, that ski hill was made for skiers like you.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Don't make me PeeTex you about this comparison. :)
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
ml242 wrote
Squaw and Alpine are so fun... I really recommend going to Squaw with someone who knows the place.
I may have to make that trip a 3 day weekend.  As incredible as the Squaw terrain is, there are many who seem to believe that Alpine is the better overall mountain.  It would be nice to get a day at each.  

Also, as I did with my trips to Crystal last season, I'd like to take a day (or more) in the BC.  There are a number of outfits that do BC trips in the Tahoe area, with a lot of terrain off the "High Route" between Sugar Bowl and Squaw.  ASI offers a one day 'speed traverse', as well as a two day tour utilizing a 'high and light' ski camping system.  Those look interesting.  

Heck, Sugar Bowl looks like a fun resort with a lot of accessible BC.

Then there is Pacific Crest Snowcats that operates in 3,000 acres of private land east of the Pacific Crest, in that same area between Sugar Bowl and Squaw.

Soooo many options.  Anything guided I'll look for the best deal on a private day, can't afford to have any BC JONGs slowing me down!   Either that, or avoid being the JONG that slows somebody else down!

Would love to ski Squaw with someone who knows the place.  I'll see if I can't get lucky and hook up with someone.  A few rounds for the right people at the right bar....you never know.  It does suck to be in a huge new playground and not know how to take advantage of it.  Ummm.....I'm talking about the skiing, yeah....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I use to get invited to speak at a conference every January at the Granlabaken which is close to Squaw & AM. Skied them both many times. Both have great terrain.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
There are a few lines left in this zone that need to be skied that I don't think have ever been done before. It's hard to say for sure but we are 99.99% sure that some firsts are left.
They look like lasts to me. I am quite sure I would break something. I don't see a good way into those chutes that does not start with a big huck.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
 Smuggs
We will be heading up in March for a NVt tour. Plenty of space,  you would love the place.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
If I could make just one happen it would be Taos.
That's my new mountain out west for this season.  Been thinking about it ever since Taos joined the Mountain Collective Pass.

Also planning to check out a couple other places in NM.  Santa Fe for sure.