Personal Ski Goal: New Resort Each Season

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
107 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Personal Ski Goal: New Resort Each Season

PeeTex
The times I was at Smuggs I did not ski much of the trails, we went up the lift on the far right, made a turn to the right and went through an opening on the left and across the frozen lake on the right side then down into the notch. Rinse & repeat.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote

Cool. This might be my first year there. Are the glades marked?
They are now
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
The times I was at Smuggs I did not ski much of the trails, we went up the lift on the far right, made a turn to the right and went through an opening on the left and across the frozen lake on the right side then down into the notch. Rinse & repeat.

Next time just go straight off the chair, thru the pines and you'll be on Sterling Pond
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Maybe I'll add the RASTA stuff to my list. It looks like they're up to a few peaks in Central VT, and the Brandon Gap area is really special to spend time at.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Maybe I'll add the RASTA stuff to my list. It looks like they're up to a few peaks in Central VT, and the Brandon Gap area is really special to spend time at.
Yeah, we should make a backcountry list, too. That "Backcountry Bucket List" on TGR is fun to read, but I really don't have any idea where a lot of the places are (out west).
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Smugglers Notch is a Clarkson School trip that they do every year.  It's completely free.  If I get offered a free ski trip, I'm taking it.
Forgot you were heading to Clarkson. Twisting your arm with a free ticket, eh? Maybe you'll catch a powder day there and feel the vibe.

Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
PeeTex wrote

Next time just go straight off the chair, thru the pines and you'll be on Sterling Pond
If you mean 'boning up a short bit beside the chair return after the unload... the go right then take a left then go right option is definitely faster and easier to get to the back bowls, pretty much all downhill or flat until you get to the first line split.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Cool. This might be my first year there. Are the glades marked?
The good stuff isn't marked. Much like other areas in NoVT, there are lines between most trails. Though many lines you only want to ski with good base and fresh snow. Smuggs has a lot of lines that only support a half dozen to a dozen skiers before becoming a luge run. Think ski width wide jump turny stuff. Point em' straight in a foot of fluff and it is all good. But it just takes one skier sliding sideways in an elevator shaft to ruin it until the next foot falls. Basically, just using caution on the steepest terrain with narrow openings in softwoods.

Once you get below the steepest part of the mountain and into the moderately pitched hardwoods, just look for an opening and go. Best to spot the area from below via the exit trail first if you aren't familiar with the lay of the land. But the good stuff isn't that hard to find if you keep your eyes open... just watch out for steep elevator shafts in the softwoods.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Unfortunately, with Saddleback I already had some "Bc" on the list. I guess there's no shortage of slides I haven't been to yet. Or a winter trip to Dix. There has to be a few lines there.... Or Lyon.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by riverc0il
As I recall, and it's been a few years, there is a wide opening on the left that's right by steering pond. No need to squeeze through trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
JetBlue flies directly to Albequerque, and it's not that many miles for a ticket.  Hmmmm......
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
PeeTex wrote
As I recall, and it's been a few years, there is a wide opening on the left that's right by steering pond. No need to squeeze through trees.
Now PeeTex is telling Rivercoil and camp how to ski Smugg's.

Wow.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
mattchuck2 wrote
PeeTex wrote
Now PeeTex is telling Rivercoil and camp how to ski Smugg's.

Wow.
Hey Matt - go Fuck yourself - as you seem to do all the time. As I said earlier, my only experience with Smuggs was a day lapping the notch via the lift on that side - hell, I don't even recall what he name of that lift was because I was with a bunch of locals. I asked no questions - I just skied.  Your just butt hurt cause you whore is in trouble.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Now you're talkin! Be patient and get your storm chaser on when things are firing
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
^ PeeTex has been hitting the sauce tonight!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
^Matt - You must be hitt'n the crack pipe again.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
PeeTex wrote
Hey Matt - go Fuck yourself
Sounding a little like Glade Runner.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
PeeTex wrote
Yea, that's the one. Maybe that opening wasn't always there, not sure how long it has been since Camp has been there and the old way to get there was to go straight off the lift? Can't imagine going uphill if you don't have to. Folks still herringbone straight ahead from the unload station but I assumed that was for folks banging a left (still need to give those shots a try, never hiked up and over there).
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
In reply to this post by ml242
The max pass and Canadian dollar have put some places on my list that I wouldn't have necessarily sought out:

Mont Saint Anne - planning a trip there right after Christmas. Will do one day at Le Massif even though its not on the pass. Gonna spend a couple days with the family in Quebec City for New Years too.

Tremblant - Heading there for extended president's weekend.

Fernie and Kicking Horse - taking the wife for a week in March. 4 days in Fernie and 2 days in KH. Will bring the wife's cross country gear too so she can go kick around if she gets tired of skiing pow or hiking at KH.

Thinking about Loon for MLK weekend and Sugarloaf for kids spring break in April if they are still open and its worth the drive.

Will also use the killington and pico tix for some day trips (starting 11/11).

I'd like to get my cost per day on the max pass down to around $25-30 a day (not including travel/lodging).