183 messages Options
123456 ... 10
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Petition for Orda to take over Big Tupper

Benny Profane
DomB wrote

And, (3) if we go to Breck (unrestricted), I would get to intro my family to lovely powder/western skiing.  My wife would actually prefer that because the western mountains typically will be less crowded and easier snow.  

Oh, lord no. Break is incredibly crowded. Don't know the present day numbers, but, a few years ago it was the most visited mountain in the country, certainly Colorado. Even more than Vail. I lived in Summit County recently for a few seasons, and, I only visited Breck once the last time I was there. It was mobbed on a Thursday. Too bad, great mountain, but you have to wade through a literal sea of gapers to get to the good stuff, and then back through them to go home.

From what I've heard from my buddy who lives out there in Frisco, Copper isn't that bad, even with a full pass from Ikon. Ill be out there in a month, and report back. ABasin is heaven right now, because they jumped off the Epic pass, and there are no crowds, and they installed that new Beavers lift which really spreads the people out. Can't wait to ski there, I hear the Beavers chair is awesome, and they have an great base this year heading into March.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Here's a few pics from that chair 5 debacle a few weeks ago at Vail. Stunning.

funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Oh, lord no. Break is incredibly crowded.
What mountain isn’t these days?  Every experience varies, and I never lived in Summit County.....but in my two trips to Breckenridge (once 20 years ago, and again 2 years ago) I never ran into prohibitive crowds or very long lift lines.  And the trip two years ago was on a weekend, chasing a storm.  I got to plenty of good stuff without slaloming humans on the way there or back.  Benny’s word of caution should be considered, but personally I wouldn’t let it scare me off.  
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Benny Profane wrote
Here's a few pics from that chair 5 debacle a few weeks ago at Vail. Stunning.

Yeah, I can’t imagine how horrible it was to be stuck in that.  Of course, that wasn’t indicative of lift lines throughout the mountain that day.  Seems that was the confluence of a bunch of bad circumstances.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Benny Profane wrote
What mountain isn’t these days?  Every experience varies, and I never lived in Summit County.....but in my two trips to Breckenridge (once 20 years ago, and again 2 years ago) I never ran into prohibitive crowds or very long lift lines.  And the trip two years ago was on a weekend, chasing a storm.  I got to plenty of good stuff without slaloming humans on the way there or back.  Benny’s word of caution should be considered, but personally I wouldn’t let it scare me off.
my trip to break 2 years ago wasnt bad..only one 20 min lift line..some where ski on...  i70 was another story
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
What circumstances? The only one I can think of IS TOO MANY PEOPLE.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
JTG4eva! wrote
Benny Profane wrote
There's still plenty of uncrowded mountains. Big Sky still isn't too bad. Taos is ok. And a smaller mountain I just revisited after twenty years is pretty cool:Powder Mountain. ABasin is crowd less this year, too.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yeah, there are still less/un-crowded mountains, of course.  Someone planning a trip should definitely consider them.  However, the more crowded ones are generally more crowded for a reason.  No, not necessarily because the skiing is better....but places like Breck are more easily accessible (closer to an airport), offer better (read: more tourist accessible) towns, and have more to do for non-skiers.  When I bring my whole family for a trip out west Breck will be high on my list of destinations.  Cringe if you must, but the town will serve my non-skiing wife well, we can be slope-side for the days she does choose to ski, and then A Basin is a short drive away when the kids and I want a change of pace or to get away from the crowds.

And, crowded or not, most general weekends, even at Breck, will still be manageable.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
JTG4eva! wrote
Yeah, there are still less/un-crowded mountains, of course.  Someone planning a trip should definitely consider them.  However, the more crowded ones are generally more crowded for a reason.  No, not necessarily because the skiing is better....but places like Breck are more easily accessible (closer to an airport), offer better (read: more tourist accessible) towns, and have more to do for non-skiers.  When I bring my whole family for a trip out west Breck will be high on my list of destinations.  Cringe if you must, but the town will serve my non-skiing wife well, we can be slope-side for the days she does choose to ski, and then A Basin is a short drive away when the kids and I want a change of pace or to get away from the crowds.

And, crowded or not, most general weekends, even at Breck, will still be manageable.
You know, I just remembered what I really didn't like about Breck, living there. The powder is gone by 10:30 am, because of the huge dirtbag workforce who live there. All the townie help, and then all the instructors and others. It's a big town, that needs a lot of bums to service it. Bam, they rush out, slice the entire hill up, and go back to work or get ready to work. It sucked.

If you like Breck, you'll love Park City. Damn, that town is totally screwed up. It's a high end mall with a lame, crowded ski area(s) attached. There's women walking around at night in f me high heels! Vail is poison to real skiing.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Benny - I think Copper should be good.  I skied it last year over MLK.  People complained about lines on the hill but the singles line was max 5 min at the crowded lift.  

Good point on Breck.  I would probably poke around and find a less crowded mountain on the pass.  I have found at most mountains you can find an I crowded lift or two even on crowded days.  

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Benny Profane wrote
If you like Breck....
Don’t get me wrong, A Basin, Alta, Alpental....those are more my style, but there was nothing about Breckenridge that turned me off on either of my visits.  Better for the tourists than the locals, I guess.  I didn’t have any trouble finding untracked powder in places like the Twin Chutes in the afternoon on a powder Saturday.  Are there better destination choices?  Sure, but Breckenridge is worth seeing, IMHO.

Sorry for the thread drift!

Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
Benny Profane wrote
. Bam, they rush out, slice the entire hill up, and go back to work or get ready to work. It sucked.
This is all West Coast mountains in my experience.  Jackson probably even more so then Breck.  They don't ski bum to not get the freshies...
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
I remember eyeing the Astrovan more than once, thinking, perfect vehicle for my recreational life. After the Astro, then the Toyota Sienna (why two "n"s?), in awd. Can't be denied , incredibly practical vehicle. Change boots inside, sleep in it, whatever. But, you know, minivan. I mean, imagine showing up on a first date in a van. America would actually prefer driving around in a massive open backed pickup truck instead of a minivan, even if 80% of the owners work in cubes.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Only at Breck one day a little over 10 years ago. As I recall it was snowing pretty hard and we went all the way out to the last lift. The terrain was fine, the snow was good but there was nothing I'd go back for given the other mountains in the area. Copper is my favorite, Abasin, second fav and Winter park third. I do get a free place to stay in Winterpark but haven't been there in a long time - which goes to show that I really prefer other places.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Benny Profane wrote
North Creek? I guess the place would be pretty dingy without Gore, but it's pretty much a ghost town, especially off season.
About 15 years ago it was pretty dead in the summer. I was speaking to a restaurant owner there the other day and was told that now summer is just as busy as winter. Rafting, hikers, bikers and various festivals all keep it hopping. Statistics show that the population is steadily decreasing,
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Benny Profane wrote
I remember eyeing the Astrovan more than once, thinking, perfect vehicle for my recreational life. After the Astro, then the Toyota Sienna (why two "n"s?), in awd. Can't be denied , incredibly practical vehicle. Change boots inside, sleep in it, whatever. But, you know, minivan. I mean, imagine showing up on a first date in a van. America would actually prefer driving around in a massive open backed pickup truck instead of a minivan, even if 80% of the owners work in cubes.
You get me bro. You really get me
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
North Creek population...

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
And the local paper endorses the Orda take over of Tupper

https://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/opinion/editorials/2020/02/state-should-take-over-big-tupper/?platform=hootsuite
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
North Creek population...

123456 ... 10