183 messages Options
1 ... 345678910
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Petition for Orda to take over Big Tupper

MC2 5678F589
tjf1967 wrote
IDK what's plattkill get...and from what I understand he could use a few more skiers.
Less than Belleayre, which looks to be in the 140k range:

https://nyskiblog.com/orda-skier-visits/
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by tjf1967
NYS needs to get out of the ski business, not add to it - Right Coach?

or is it really:

Less government except for stuff I want - Right Coach?

Consistently inconsistent.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Cortina Valley called - they want to reopen, too.

https://skimap.org/SkiAreas/view/296
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm surprised by the push back from some. I'd think adding another ski area to your ORDA pass would be a good thing, no?

Please don't say it's because it doesn't make sense, we're talking government run ski areas which doesn't make sense to begin with.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
I'm surprised by the push back from some. I'd think adding another ski area to your ORDA pass would be a good thing, no?

Please don't say it's because it doesn't make sense, we're talking government run ski areas which doesn't make sense to begin with.
Government run golf courses don't make sense either, yet here we are.

It also costs 2 cents to make a penny, and 7 cents to make a nickel, but government keeps doing that, too.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
tjf1967 wrote
IDK what's plattkill get...and from what I understand he could use a few more skiers.
Less than Belleayre, which looks to be in the 140k range:

https://nyskiblog.com/orda-skier-visits/
Maybe NYS should round up the city's homeless as well as those from sister cities like LA and San Fran and bring them all out to BT to live in the lodge and ski, eat and shit for free - and then register them all as voters. Think of all the votes Cuomo would get then.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
PeeTex wrote
Maybe NYS should round up the city's homeless as well as those from sister cities like LA and San Fran and bring them all out to BT to live in the lodge and ski, eat and shit for free - and then register them all as voters. Think of all the votes Cuomo would get then.
Time for your kids to put you in a home, old man. You've gone completely fucking crazy.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Point taken

Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
I miss politicrap
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
I learned to ski at Sterling Forest and didn't even know it was closed until this thread.  Bummer, I was hoping to take my future kid there.  That being said a tiny him so far south in the age of global warming makes no sense.

Anyone been to mountain Creek lately?  The snow making tab must be outrageous
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Time for your kids to put you in a home, old man. You've gone completely fucking crazy.
No - I just drive people like you crazy
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
PeeTex wrote
There are a ton of local ski hills which have gone by the wayside. Should ORDA take over Scotch Valley as well? That would make more sense - those towns in NY fly over country (Albany to Buffalo) need some love too.
Funny you picked that one --- previously known as Deer Run as well. Previous owners of Greek Peak sent that place into bankruptcy as well.
You mean to tell me, that shitty management actually puts ski areas out of business? Say it isn't so. I thought it was demographics, economics, and geographic locations.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
I just looked. The petition has over 6000 signatures now.

It says they owe over 500k in taxes. I wonder how long it took to accumulate that much- Seems pretty high but not sure how much property that includes
I'm secretly rooting for the county or town to repo it.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Brownski wrote
I just looked. The petition has over 6000 signatures now.

It says they owe over 500k in taxes. I wonder how long it took to accumulate that much- Seems pretty high but not sure how much property that includes
I'm secretly rooting for the county or town to repo it.
Wondering if Tupper Lake town could actually take over BT and make it work.  Harrietstown runs Dewey Mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
If it were going to happen that would make the most sense. Better that they turn it into a park and allow the locals to maintain trails & glades and use it as a safe almost back country experience, skin up - ski down.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
PeeTex wrote
.....use it as a safe almost back country experience, skin up - ski down.
That’s a scenario that might actually get me there.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Brownski wrote
I think I probably lost track of some key details along the way. Maybe somebody can bring me up to speed with some short answers:

1. who owns the ski area currently? The guy from PA? I understand they owe taxes but I haven’t heard there anywhere near being seized by the state. Is that correct?

2. Is ACR dead for good? Seems like it is but has everybody involved admitted that?

3. I guess I’m just kind of curious what the truth on the ground actually is up there and who still has a claim on the place.
1. Still owned on paper by Preserve Associates(ACR) Franklin county is in the process of foreclosing for back taxes. Not being seized by NYS. Guy from PA(Foxman) is nowhere to be seen, can't even be reached for comment on the many ACR related news articles.

2. ACR is basically dead. Billionaire who was taken by other ACR principal(Lawson), for about $2.2M,  owns Mortgage on 6000 acres of OWD land that ACR defaulted on Mortgage. Billionaire has made it clear he is not and does not want to be a developer. And ski Area is a separate parcel from the big chunk of land ACR was proposing to put Great Camps on. Very complicated story but Billionaire wants land because he needs it to be able to drive to his so called compound he is building. Without land he could be legally blocked from driving to the Camp he "bought" from Lawson.

3. Truth on the ground is that the locals all gut suckered into supporting ACR in the hopes the ski area would be brought back to life but that was never the ACR goal. Hard truth is that many local, and non locals got screwed by a professional Con Man.

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This post was updated on .
Thanks for the clarification-

Has anybody appealed to the billionaires better angels to fund the required ski area improvements?

Seems like it would buy him a lot of good will and might smooth the way for any easements he might need to maintain access to his compound.

I bet the end result would be more realistic if it wasn’t based on a get-rich-quick scheme- Just do two fixed grip lifts, a handle tow, basic lodge and patrol facilities and a modest snowmaking and grooming capacity. Then he could hand it back to the town, where there’s a real incentive to both keep it open and control costs.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
PeeTex wrote
.....use it as a safe almost back country experience, skin up - ski down.
This...would be unique at least.  Would need lots a snow.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Brownski wrote
Thanks for the clarification-

Has anybody appealed to the billionaires better angels to fund the required ski area improvements?

Seems like it would buy him a lot of good will and might smooth the way for any easements he might need to maintain access to his compound.

I bet the end result would be more realistic if it wasn’t based on a get-rich-quick scheme- Just do two fixes grip lifts, a handle tow, basic lodge and patrol facilities and a modest snowmaking and grooming capacity. Then he could hand it back to the town, where there’s a real incentive to both keep it open and control costs.
The snowmaking was stripped of everything but the pipes.
Chair 1 is a complete loss.
The lodge needs help.
Groomers are expensive.
The upper chair (3) is basically useless because of the terrain it serves.

The lack of snowmaking is the killer. They could run chair 2 and have a 600 vert green and blue town area, but without snowmaking, it is impossible to operate.
1 ... 345678910