classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
113 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ski plans for next season?

TheGreatAbyss
Kleetus wrote
Hopefully have a new job by Ski season so I can actually you know, have time to Ski.
Good luck!  Are you going to stay in upstate NY?

Between buying a house and still recovering from the DVT I got last season I'm not sure how much skiing I'm going to be done this season but hopefully I'll see you at K or Gore
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I'm considering a Ski-3 this season. I've had a peak pass the last few seasons which was a no-brainer for a young adult at 399 even if I only get to Hunter or other peak resorts like 5 times or so. It's looking like that might not be an option this year.

Of course Plattekill.

The ski3 is a tough decision for me because Gore is just far enough away for m that I may not get up there as much as I'd like. Belleayre is close, but so is Plattekill.  I'm limited to mostly weekends this season, so Hunter, and other busier congested places are not going to be an option.

Does anyone have any experience with Belleayre on weekends? Is it congested? long lift lines? TBH, I have only been there once on a weekend and that was in 2010, so I don't remember clearly.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Just go with plattekill
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Brownski wrote
Just go with plattekill
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
I go to Belleayre for day trips on my ski3 when not driving to Gore some weekends. The Gondola  pulled the crowds to that side opening up the the Superchief side. Avoid Deer run which is  very congested on Holidays and weekends. Rest of mountain no problem.
 Belleayre keeps some trails natural and has plenty of moguls including low angle.
 If is was Belleayre only against Plattekill , Plattekill would win every time, but adding Gore and Whiteface, B ain’t bad for fill in at no extra cost.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
In reply to this post by TheGreatAbyss
TheGreatAbyss wrote
Kleetus wrote
Hopefully have a new job by Ski season so I can actually you know, have time to Ski.
Good luck!  Are you going to stay in upstate NY?

Between buying a house and still recovering from the DVT I got last season I'm not sure how much skiing I'm going to be done this season but hopefully I'll see you at K or Gore
Hoping to, but we'll see what happens. Not a ton of opportunities up here.

Def see you at K and Gore!
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Kleetus wrote
Still plan on skiing Gore and WF
McCauley?
That's always on my list. I never mention it as it's a given I'll make it there at least a few times.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Gunny J
Gunny J wrote
 If is was Belleayre only against Plattekill , Plattekill would win every time, but adding Gore and Whiteface, B ain’t bad for fill in at no extra cost.
I can't count the number of times I've driven to the Cats, planning to ski Plattekill but when I get to Highmount, I said "ah, screw it," turn left and pull into Belle due to those additional 20 or so minutes of drive time.

I have the same problem in Utah. Over the past 20 years, a couple dozen times I've made plans to go to Powder Mountain but when I drive past Snowbasin and see all that beautiful terrain, I always turn left. Still haven't made it to PM.
Reply | Threaded
|

2000yearoldskier
Gonna stick around home this year, maybe a few days at Castle with my Lethbridge friends. This years goals , more touring and longer days.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
Gunny J wrote
I can't count the number of times I've driven to the Cats, planning to ski Plattekill but when I get to Highmount, I said "ah, screw it," turn left and pull into Belle due to those additional 20 or so minutes of drive time.

I have the same problem in Utah. Over the past 20 years, a couple dozen times I've made plans to go to Powder Mountain but when I drive past Snowbasin and see all that beautiful terrain, I always turn left. Still haven't made it to PM.
Well, let this be a warning, never ski Snowbasin on a Saturday when conditions are good. You're welcome.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by marznc
Thanks for all of the good info on Steamboat.  After more consideration we decided that it's going to be Lake Tahoe (Squaw/Alpine) this year.  Haven't been there in over 25 years and am very excited.  Plenty of fun stuff for my wife to do...have to take care of my (awesome) travel companion!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
  and doing a thing at Breckenridge in April.
Curious as to how this goes for you MC

Might seem like a weird bump but I ran into a buddy at lunch who is going for his full cert this year. Maybe it's level III now? It was called full cert when I did it in the 80's --- lol
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by onscott
onscott wrote
Thanks for all of the good info on Steamboat.  After more consideration we decided that it's going to be Lake Tahoe (Squaw/Alpine) this year.  Haven't been there in over 25 years and am very excited.  Plenty of fun stuff for my wife to do...have to take care of my (awesome) travel companion!!!
Well, turns out I added a few days at Steamboat after skiing around SLC.  My ski buddy who does the driving spends Pres. Day weekend at Steamboat because he's crew chief for a friend with a hot air balloon.  Steamboat invites a few balloon crews for a glow one evening.  They get a condo and discounted lift tickets.  Talked our other ski buddy into joining us in SLC.  He's never been to Steamboat and was talking about it during the summer.  Haven't been at a destination resort out west for the holiday weekend in Feb before, so that will be a new experience.
Reply | Threaded
|

gefiltephish
Belle, Gore, K, Sugarbush, Windham uphill access, Magic. RASTA backcountry. Hopefully longer trips to MRG, Burke, Sunday River and/or Sugarloaf. CO hut trip, likely ski A Basin, Copper, and Aspen while out there. Stoked, throwing my AT bindings on some Head Kore skis soon and sending in my '17 Scarpa Maestrale boots for recall.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
^^BIG!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
i  booked a father son trip for snowbird Alta for my son’s spring break

I have a ikon pass so may try another trip by myself somewhere on the ikon pass

Also going to a lot of races

Coaching the little guys at WF when I’m home
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
With my son now at Plattsburgh I hope to get a few more weekends in at Whiteface than we typically have.

Some mid-week powder days at Magic and Platty, should Ullr will it.

Will it be a season to get some ADK backcountry in?

My wife is an advocate of me staying on this coast, so maybe it’s time I took my kids to Sugarbush/MRG.  I suppose I could chase a storm or two to the NEK.

But....I do hope the recent storm that hammered the northern Rockies and left upwards to two feet at Mission Ridge is a harbinger of things to come.  Feeling the PNW/Coast Range calling, would love to get back to Whistler Blackcomb or Baker, or maybe visit nepa’s neck o’ the woods.

Of course, if circumstances found me back at either Alpental or Alta/Bird again this year I’d be plenty happy.

Ultimately, a west coast trip or two will find me where the availability of tickets with miles coincides with a proper storm chase!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Plattsburgh = Smuggs
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
In reply to this post by Mi Skier
Mi Skier wrote
My plans for next season is first is to get my Caberfae Peaks weekend pass, the Michigan White  Gold Card, and finally this year I will be able to head back east and I am planing on going to Harvey's annual birthday at Plattekill  and hopefully meet some people from this site.
I have added a trip to Holiday Valley on Jan 21st and 22nd. From Detroit it's just over 5 hours which will be an easy drive.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Plattsburgh = Smuggs
I’ve wanted to ride the ferry for years and never got around to it. I’ll bet it’s pretty cool during the winter.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller