Moglmike
No accent
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ski plans for next season?

Moglmike
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
What the hell? They started making snow?  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Director there is (at least was a couple yrs ago) Mark Hanson
Really nice guy.  Showed my son and I around
Also skied with a sr patroller who is a fellow Volkl guy and he literally knew where every rock was on the

Targhee is my happy place
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Last time I was in Targhee it was early 90s. Loved that place but not easy to get to. We were in Big Sky but there was no snow there so we pivoted to Targhee where they had a 100” base.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Grand daughter texted me that her student pass got her 50% ticket prices at Alta and I had 5 days of roll over credit on my Alta pass from last year - so that’s where we will be in March.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Last time I was in Targhee it was early 90s. Loved that place but not easy to get to. We were in Big Sky but there was no snow there so we pivoted to Targhee where they had a 100” base.
Driving from SLC, Targhee is easier to reach than JH.  Although I tend to plan stops at GT on the way to Big Sky.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
PeeTex wrote
Grand daughter texted me that her student pass got her 50% ticket prices at Alta and I had 5 days of roll over credit on my Alta pass from last year - so that’s where we will be in March.
What kind of "student pass"?
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I miss the Ghee. I’ve had some incredible times there skiing with legends of the sport.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
Targhee is my happy place
From a snow/conditions perspective, that makes sense; however, given that Targhee's lift-served terrain (i.e. not the backside) is basically one big double-blue square -- perfect for someone like me who lives for LAP -- I'm surprised that you don't get bored there.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Oooo the backside.......

Nitwits, a highly illegal poach is one of the best lift served back country pow runs in the lower 48 imho.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
I miss the Ghee. I’ve had some incredible times there skiing with legends of the sport.
Give us names bro
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by marznc
It's called the Double Major College pass.
Good for Sugarbush and MRG.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I don’t want to come off like a braggart but let me think about it and I’ll come back with a fun story post. Those were some damn good times.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
No way is it bragging. I'd say your very humble about what you've accomplished in the sport of skiing. I'd like to hear about it if you don't mind sharing some of your stories.

In the words of Kid Rock -- It ain't braggin mother fucker if you can back it up
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Me too! Me too!
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Man, that’s some great skiing for less than a ORDA Ski 3 college pass.  I told my son to think about it.  Maybe the time has come to focus on VT.  Only problem is the wife...as a part time (if at all) skier you just can’t beat Placid.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Bringing this thread back up because I'm about to book some flights and hotels etc for a two week trip and I'm flip-flopping on destinations.

Have an Ikon Pass so planning to go where I can use that, which is a lot of places. Will be second and third week in March - two kids in college have back to back spring breaks. So plan is to fly out with one daughter, ski, send her back and then ski a bit by myself. Have second daughter come out and meet me and ski with her and fly back with her.

Second daughter has her heart set on Jackson Hole so pretty sure that's where the second week will be spent.

Had been planning Utah for the first week, but have recently heard horror stories about how crowded LCC and even BCC resorts are now, especially on a powder day. So I'm a little hesitant on Utah because of that.

My other viable options are Colorado - ski Winter Park and Steamboat, both of which I've skied several times. My daughter has skied them once, on her only trip out west a few years back. I know there are a few others good places in CO on Ikon so could consider that as well. I'm kind partial to Steamboat.

And my last option is really to hit Big Sky. Never been there which is a plus. I'm a little concerned about being limited to one area if the conditions crap out. And a little concerned with how much "extreme" terrain the map shows - especially since it looks like Lone Peak could easily just get buffed by winds. My gut says just go - never been there, can find plenty to ski no matter what the conditions bring for the week. And after looking at the map and some youtube videos it looks like there are plenty of ways off Lone Peak that aren't tight extreme pitch cliff hucking runs. And it's a much closer drive to Jackson than SLC or Steamboat.

Any reason to not go to Big Sky the second week in March?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Jackson in March is a hit or miss...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I’d go with Big Sky. Mainly because I haven’t been there either and it looks like it’s got everything in spades. It may just be the best overall resort in the lower 48.

I’d also like to check out Aspen. It’s a classic and I’ve never been. It definitely catches my interest more than steamboat or WP.

I lived in Steamboat for a couple of seasons and find the mountain extremely uninspiring but I can have fun anywhere for a few days.

As Jason mentions jackson can be hit or miss in March but so is everywhere really. I’ve seen some crazy deep snow in March there. East coast folks on these forums definitely get concerned with the aspects and different elevations of the Village and I get that, it’s not an easy mountain to just roll up to and feel dialed on. It’s big and intimidating but if you know how to ski it and pay attention to temps and weather you can generally always find good skiing. I think there’s a few horror stories among easterners about dropping into the Hobacks at the wrong time which can be brutal, if you live there you know how to navigate around that stuff.

I’m to the point where I’d rather skip the big resort places, their just too damn expensive and crowded. I’ve got to get Cody to a few of em over the next bunch of years but I could see myself skiing primarily mom and pops and back country after that. Heck, I could see myself barely skiing and mostly going back packing! :D
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Bringing this thread back up because I'm about to book some flights and hotels etc for a two week trip and I'm flip-flopping on destinations.

Have an Ikon Pass so planning to go where I can use that, which is a lot of places. Will be second and third week in March - two kids in college have back to back spring breaks. So plan is to fly out with one daughter, ski, send her back and then ski a bit by myself. Have second daughter come out and meet me and ski with her and fly back with her.

. . .

And my last option is really to hit Big Sky. Never been there which is a plus. I'm a little concerned about being limited to one area if the conditions crap out. And a little concerned with how much "extreme" terrain the map shows - especially since it looks like Lone Peak could easily just get buffed by winds. My gut says just go - never been there, can find plenty to ski no matter what the conditions bring for the week. And after looking at the map and some youtube videos it looks like there are plenty of ways off Lone Peak that aren't tight extreme pitch cliff hucking runs. And it's a much closer drive to Jackson than SLC or Steamboat.

Any reason to not go to Big Sky the second week in March?
As much as I like skiing in Utah, I suggest Big Sky over your other options.  Include at least a day at Bridger.  Easy day trip from Big Sky or can stay in Bozeman for a night or two to begin with.  Have you ever seen videos of terrain off the Ridge?  Although it's non-profit, Bridger has 2000 acres with terrain for all levels.

Big Sky has terrain facing all directions.  Almost 360 off Lone Peak since Moonlight terrain is now part of Big Sky.  Andesite Mtn. terrain is also pretty much 360, with a range from easy wide green to double-black trees that hold powder well.  Also a wide open bowl that's good for adventurous intermediates or advanced/experts looking for bumps and no trees.  Varied terrain over at Moonlight too since that was an independent ski resort for quite a while.

When the upper mountain was closed due to wind during the Pugski Big Sky Gathering last season, the hard chargers spent half a day in the trees off the Lone Moose lift.  I played in the trees on Andesite Mtn.  With multiple peaks, it's hard to get bored.  Each area is big enough to need 2-3 three days to figure out all the stashes.  Can be worthwhile to do a free mountain tour the first morning to learn how to get around.  Only on groomers but the blue-blue groups move pretty fast so cover a lot of territory.  When it's snowing hard, sometimes the guests have a hard time keeping up between stops when the host talks about what's available near the stopping point.

I've spent a week with friends at Big Sky three times in the last decade.  Combined with Bridger, it's in my Top Five for return trips.  Alta is #1 and Aspen/Snowmass is up there too.  Drove to Big Sky from SLC twice, with a stop to ski GT on the way.