113 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ski plans for next season?

Brownski
Mi Skier wrote
Mi Skier wrote
My plans for next season is first is to get my Caberfae Peaks weekend pass, the Michigan White  Gold Card, and finally this year I will be able to head back east and I am planing on going to Harvey's annual birthday at Plattekill  and hopefully meet some people from this site.
I have added a trip to Holiday Valley on Jan 21st and 22nd. From Detroit it's just over 5 hours which will be an easy drive.
I find it interesting that HV is just as close to you as it is to me. New York is a big state I guess.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Plattsburgh = Smuggs
Not that Smuggs isn’t great....but why?  Jay seems to be the same distance, so for VT why not that?

No matter....when we meet up with my son I don’t want to be driving an extra two hours to Northern VT, and Plattsburgh is an hour closer to Whiteface than it is to Smuggs or Jay, plus he’ll have a season pass to Whiteface.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
JTG4eva! wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Plattsburgh = Smuggs
Not that Smuggs isn’t great....but why?  Jay seems to be the same distance, so for VT why not that?

Jay is great and the Jay Cloud is real, no doubt. That said, if the snow is good, Smuggs with the B-Day Bowls are the place to be. You can lap those things all day long.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Those do look like fun!  I do need to get myself back to VT more.  While I did get my son onto .5 at Whiteface last season, he hasn’t quite embraced the sidecountry/backcountry.  He’s too much of a high speed carving fan....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I like Jay a lot. I like Smuggs a lot lot.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Exactly

I'm a Smuggs homer tho --- can't be helped
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
The trails off Madonna are some of, if not the best expert runs in the east if I remember correctly. Liftline is legit.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Plattsburgh = Smuggs
If Smuggs and Jay were the same distance from me, I'd be at Smuggs a heck of a lot more. For me, Smuggs is 30 minutes further drive and they open Sterling at 8am which means I have to leave an hour earlier to get first chair at Smuggs (compared to Jay). Jay can absorb crowds a bit better and the singles lines are easier to work with than Smuggs. For terrain and trees, Smuggs all the way for me. Jay is better early season, is more rope drop friendly, generally has shorter lines (especially for single skiers), has an incredible turn earning culture, and has a bit more mellow/lower angle tree skiing, especially lower elevation (so, better when things are thin or not filled in yet). Both great places... but Camp is correct that Smuggs is the play from Plattsburgh.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Those do look like fun!  I do need to get myself back to VT more.  While I did get my son onto .5 at Whiteface last season, he hasn’t quite embraced the sidecountry/backcountry.  He’s too much of a high speed carving fan....
In that case, don't bother with Jay or Smuggs, lol.
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Mi Skier wrote
Mi Skier wrote
My plans for next season is first is to get my Caberfae Peaks weekend pass, the Michigan White  Gold Card, and finally this year I will be able to head back east and I am planing on going to Harvey's annual birthday at Plattekill  and hopefully meet some people from this site.
I have added a trip to Holiday Valley on Jan 21st and 22nd. From Detroit it's just over 5 hours which will be an easy drive.
I find it interesting that HV is just as close to you as it is to me. New York is a big state I guess.
The Buffalo area is roughly the halfway point when making the drive from Detroit to Albany.
Reply | Threaded
|

Moglmike
Used to cut thru Canada going to Killington from Michigan, now its up 95 from DC area, never been to Jay Peak but always have wanted to, maybe this season. NY is huge probably the most diverse state in the country it has everything, can't wait for word of the snow guns starting at Killington! Won't be long
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Moglmike wrote
, can't wait for word of the snow guns starting at Killington! Won't be long
They already started and people have already skied the fast grass.

Keep up, rook
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Moglmike
Moglmike wrote
 NY is huge probably the most diverse state in the country it has everything,

Definitely not. Those east coast states don’t have very much bio-diversity compared the four corners states or any PNW states either. Heck, you can do a day hike right here in flagstaff and jump through 3 or 4 different climate/eco zones in a matter of a few hours.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Not sure he meant biodiversity.

I assumed he was talking about how NY has big, modern metropolitan areas, rust belt cities, small rural villages, college towns, farmland, foothills, mountains, beaches, oceans, rivers, lakes, great lakes, lots of different ethnicities, nationalities, orientations, etc.

Just a lot of general diversity of life options in the same state. It's a lot like California (with worse weather, but less earthquakes).
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
MC2 5678F589 wrote
I assumed he was talking about how NY has big, modern metropolitan areas, rust belt cities, small rural villages, college towns, farmland, foothills, mountains, beaches, oceans, rivers, lakes, great lakes, lots of different ethnicities, nationalities, orientations, etc. Just a lot of general diversity of life options in the same state. It's a lot like California (with worse weather, but less earthquakes).
Agreed that NYS is only rivaled/exceeded by CA in the total diversity (bio + cultural) equation. In one of my TRs, I mentioned that France may even outdo CA -- "For a country the size of Texas, France has an amazing amount of variety: Alps/Pyrenees (not the same thing culturally or topographically), the dry southern California-ish inland south, ocean/beaches on the Mediterranean and Atlantic, New England-ish climate in Brittany, wine country, etc.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Fair enough.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
NY is the Jack of all trades and the master of none..

It has everything , but isn't the best at anyone of them...It could be a lot worse..We could be in Kansas..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Moglmike
Funny when something bad goes down around here and locals from rural areas wonder what is going on I tell them "your not in Kansas anymore but people from NY get shit done thats one thing for sure!
Reply | Threaded
|

Moglmike
Hell yeah Mc! NY has it all , when I met up with the ski school director at Grand Targhee years ago he got his guy to show "these guys from NY" around the mountain, I said " WE are from UPSTATE NY, the guy takes us to some deep stuff I was launching off anything the guy catches up to us and says " you guys are from NY?? And I say upstate NY! Rock on!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Moglmike wrote
Hell yeah Mc! NY has it all , when I met up with the ski school director at Grand Targhee years ago he got his guy to show "these guys from NY" around the mountain, I said " WE are from UPSTATE NY, the guy takes us to some deep stuff I was launching off anything the guy catches up to us and says " you guys are from NY?? And I say upstate NY! Rock on!
Did the guy they hooked you up with from Targhee have an Australian accent?