classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
148 messages Options
1 ... 5678
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Snowboarders.

campgottagopee
We've run into the same thing with some guys on sleds. Why the hell some stop in the middle of the trail is baffling. Pull off to the side dude or someone is gonna get hurt. Bad.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
At this point I don’t think Alta and Deer Valley have much of a case other then “it’s our mountain”. MRG’s argument I have more sympathy for I guess but if I was a co-op member I would vote to let them in
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Just saw an Instagram post of Glen Plake skiing bumps at Mamoth on a mono board. It  looked cool of course but also reminded me that when I worked at Alpine, they still didn’t allow snowboarders, even though you saw mono boards, snowblades, bigfeet and all kinds of adaptive equipment every day. It struck me as kind of perverse that snowboards were banned even though monos were allowed. Any of you folks who ski Alta or Deer Valoey ever notice any monos or snowblades there?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Most mono skiers I've seen were the first time I was in Tahoe, which was the early ninties, still early in the board acceptance period. Monos suddenly made sense to me when I tried to ski the cement out there. Boards have since replaced them.

No need for such a crutch, an easy way out, in high Utah.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This lady is so full of herself:

https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/2020-03-13/snowboarders-unwelcome-ski-resorts
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Maybe there was a time, before snowboarding became mainstream, that some of her criticisms might have been valid.

I do cringe occasionally when I see a sideways snowboarder scraping a run clean of decent snow...but shitty skiers can also have negative effects.

All things considered though, I have no real problem with snowboarders.  Maybe this witch should get her entitled ass off the groomers.  When I come across snowboarders in the terrain I like most (steeps, powder, sidecountry/backcountry, Slides, trees, bumps) they generally kick ass.

I actually appreciate watching a skilled snowboarder carve down a slope.  After watching the Skiing Knuckle Huck from the recent X Games Norway I actually think ‘thank you very much’.....as the event probably wouldn’t exist without snowboarding.

I really want to learn how to butter.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I think where a boarder would shine is on windpack or cement or baked out mash. However with the advent of super wide skis, that advantage is lessened, but still surfing a single wide platform has to be better in those conditions.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nova Ski
Hilarious article. As part of 4 day Ikon tour of SLC, I was at Deer Valley on Tuesday and I have never seen so many bad skiers in one place: Snowplowing texans, adult ski school conga lines snaking all over the trails, groups stopping in bad spots, etc. Way worse than being around boarders.

Note - I sorta expected this going in, but after 3 amazing days at Brighton, Alta (9"), Solitude (15" in 24 hours), we went to DV for the following A) relaxed groomer day B) it was really warm & no new snow C) needed a reason to check out Park City Apre Ski since we were staying in Cottonwood Heights and lastly D) I've already been to Snowbird on two separate multi-day trips.

To DV's credit, the snow quality was great, the place was huge and arguably some of the best views. I probably won't be back though.
1 ... 5678