Z
Usually storm days at Whiteface mean wind but today was the exception
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Storm Skiing or Day After?

wedeler
The day of the storm without a doubt.  Even Windham was good today.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
During the storm you usually don't have the rabid crowd that eat up the powder quick and with yesterday's storm, it snowed hard (really hard in the afternoon) and no one was there (Gore).  Definitely the best ski day of the year for me...and I have to work today otherwise I would be there for the day after too
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
100% day of the storm skier!  For me skiing in the storm is just a perfect thing!  

Yesterday's storm ski rocked!  Empire and Upper Cloud got tracks!  Upper Cloud tight right was sick!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
If I have to choose I love to ski the storm. Free refills vs. tracked out by 10 or 11AM the day after. Especially on piste. Its especially fun to ski pow on the trails that generally get groomed out. This one was a bit of a bummer because there wasn't much base in the woods as noted by YC. There should be enough in there to poach today if they don't actually open any more glades. The lower angle stuff should ski well.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Storm day for me too, and yesterday was awesome, especially in the afternoon, when it was puking snow and refilling every run.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Why choose, just ski everyday
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
Ski every day is the best answer, but for,those,who must choose. In the east, I'll go with day after. I skied the storm. First tracks were great, but after it was cut up, skiing was a ball buster for most skiers. We just don't get that super dry pow like,out west. The good news is the mountain is open daily offering something for everyone, but on storm day you better be in great shape and bring your "a game".
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
adkskier wrote
 First tracks were great, but after it was cut up, skiing was a ball buster for most skiers.
Refreshingly honest and so true. I went over to West during the storm. People in the liftlines, etc were all " woo hoo this is so awesome! " blah, blah blah. Then they mostly skied 50 yards and stopped for a long rest or fell. Yet they kept up the blah blah blah epic crap. People are such dumb asses now days it astounds me.

It thinned out really really quick as it was tough going. I made 6 runs and left. I didn't fall but it was work and not fun really.

Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Snowballs wrote
not fun really.

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
skimore wrote
Snowballs wrote
not fun really.
yeah, I dont get that one....   
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
I went to West on Wed. during the storm at 1:30 to take a few runs and stayed until closing at 9:00, it was so awesome....
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Snowballs wrote
not fun really.
Need fatter skis?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
Refreshingly honest and so true. I went over to West during the storm. People in the liftlines, etc were all " woo hoo this is so awesome! " blah, blah blah. Then they mostly skied 50 yards and stopped for a long rest or fell. Yet they kept up the blah blah blah epic crap. People are such dumb asses now days it astounds me.

It thinned out really really quick as it was tough going. I made 6 runs and left. I didn't fall but it was work and not fun really.
You were just not in the right places. I was at Gore on Wed, the trails were premo until about noon, then off to the glades, open or not. Then when we had our fill of that it was off to the unmarked. Then when we couldn't turn'm any more we headed home for a brew. It was a great day, with minimal damage to the bases.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by ScottyJack

Snowballs wrote
not fun really.
Wow.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Which day would you ski this week?

Danzilla
Since pretty much everyone who follows this board is checking the weather at least once an hour to check on the upcoming storm, which day would you ski if you could only ski one day this week?

Wednesday?
Thursday?
Friday?

Wednesday will be good because it will be free refills, but its hard to know the timing of the storm and getting home will be tough unless you are staying near the mountain.
Thursday should be great but its going to be cold and windy and may be tough to get to the mountain in the morning.
Friday should be "warm" and sunny with little wind and still great conditions.

Of course I would vote for all three, but which day are you thinking if you get ONLY one.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Which day would you ski this week?

tjf1967
Thursday.  Sunny days will be there tomorrow deep pow not so much.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Assuming transportation isn't an issue.......with the bulk of the snow coming Wed afternoon and the overnight, I'd pass on Wed.  Sure, the constantly refreshing couple inches throughout the day could be nice, but it won't be deep and the snow on the front end of the storm could be wetter and heavier than what falls later in the day.

Thursday looks like the day for those who can get there, with deep powder in place and some new snow to fill in early.  Only thing to watch out for are gusty winds on both Wed and Thursday.  Would suck to get there Thursday only to find some lifts on wind hold.

Friday should be a pretty great day.  Less wind, some sunshine, and moderate temps.  While  there may not be quite as many epic untracked lines as Thursday, the skier traffic Thursday won't track the whole mountain out, and the wind can work wonders at refreshing lines as well.

Unfortunately, transportation is an issue for many, and I'm thinking of passing on white knuckle snowstorm driving and making Friday my day.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I'm advising everyone to wait and go on Sunday.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
DURING
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.