Storm Skiing or Day After?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
88 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Storm Skiing or Day After?

MC2 5678F589
Looking at the forecast, it looks like miserable driving conditions to the mountain tomorrow, but a really nice day on Thursday. I'm thinking of skipping the "day of" powder tomorrow to go for the "day after" powder on Thursday.

Obviously the correct choice is to ski both days, but if you can only ski one day, would you prefer to ski the day of the storm or the day after? Obviously, this question assumes that the storm sets up like this one where it's going to be snowing all day tomorrow and clear all day the day after. Let's assume no wind holds on either day, but visibility is obviously affected by falling and blowing snow.
Do you prefer to ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Storm Skiing or Day After?

Snowballs
Banned User
If the roads are real bad, I wait it out or ski local. I've drove up to Gore before when the roads were bad, but now, to me, it's not worth risking a crash/injury/death. I can go anytime so what's the loss ?
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Neither, I hate skiing

Storm skiing days here never have lines. The day after the storm, half of SLC calls into work with the Alta fever and the Wildcat and Collins lines merge into one.

Then again, my "commute" is walking upstairs. Get some good snow tires!
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
If it means driving in the storm, I'll take day after.  Not worth the risk.

Now if I could drive up tonight and stay near the mountain.....day of, following 6 inches overnight, would be very nice.  A powder day that keeps refreshing all day long.  Alas, the doghouse would await if I were to beat feet tonight and ski tomorrow while the fam is home alone in the storm.

Me thinks Thursday will be an opportune time for my first visit to Plattekill.  If they aren't open tomorrow then all 12 to 18 inches will be awaitin' on Thursday morning.

Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
The day after, live to ski another day !
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by tBatt
tBatt wrote
Get some good snow tires!
I have good snow tires. Noah insisted in an endless debate. That guy loves him some snow tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

takeahike46er
Storm skiing!

- Free refills
- Generally less skiers
- (and in the east) Groomers can't ruin the limited acres of fresh snow
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
This type of storm is absolutely a "ski the day of the storm" powder day. Everything will be packed down by Thursday for sure, especially considering northeast skiers are powder starved and really hungry right now. Nine times out of ten, I usually say go the day after. But there isn't going to be much fresh snow falling after closing bell, this type of timing is best to get at it ASAP. Wednesday should be a day which will get better with every run but Thursday is going to be a one powder run and done type of day.

My solution? Wait until mid-afternoon tomorrow and earn a run off piste. Best of both worlds and a tour to boot.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
During the storm cause that is when school is closed.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Definitely the day after, because I have to work the day of.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
I gotta feeling that Hunter will be pretty sweet on Thursday. Alas, I am a wage slave.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Unless there's a race on, I prefer to ski the day after.  Give the pow a chance to settle and the groomers can get out.  Occupational hazard of xc.  Skied ultra local this afternoon.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
See you tomorrow
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Blowing off work to ski Greek tomorrow. I'm on vacation after that, hoping a week will help madame president forget my transgression. Hey, I haven't taken a powder day off in a loooong time. As for the pole, I like both, love a bluebird day after a storm, continuous refills don't suck either. Expecting the latter at GP tomorrow morning, anyone else going to be there?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
My solution? Wait until mid-afternoon tomorrow and earn a run off piste. Best of both worlds and a tour to boot.
Yep, that's what I'm gonna do.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Normally, I would say day of. In this case, I think it's better to wait a day as there was very little base in the woods.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Day after, with the day of goods untouched.  Powder Daize at Platty tomorrow, the best of both worlds.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
On 2nd thought, there still may not be enough snow up there to really get into the woods.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
I gotta feeling that Hunter will be pretty sweet on Thursday. Alas, I am a wage slave.
Heading out after this conference call...  :)
Lots of snow....
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
mattchuck2 wrote
Yep, that's what I'm gonna do.
Hope you enjoyed it. I had to bail. Foiled by work. Maybe try again before the weekend. If not, Monday is all mine if things go our way.