Storm Skiing or Day After?

88 messages Options
1234 ... 9
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Storm Skiing or Day After?

Looking at the forecast, it looks like miserable driving conditions to the mountain tomorrow, but a really nice day on Thursday. I'm thinking of skipping the "day of" powder tomorrow to go for the "day after" powder on Thursday.

Obviously the correct choice is to ski both days, but if you can only ski one day, would you prefer to ski the day of the storm or the day after? Obviously, this question assumes that the storm sets up like this one where it's going to be snowing all day tomorrow and clear all day the day after. Let's assume no wind holds on either day, but visibility is obviously affected by falling and blowing snow.
Do you prefer to ski
Snowballs Snowballs
Reply |

Re: Storm Skiing or Day After?

If the roads are real bad, I wait it out or ski local. I've drove up to Gore before when the roads were bad, but now, to me, it's not worth risking a crash/injury/death. I can go anytime so what's the loss ?
tBatt tBatt
Reply |

Neither, I hate skiing

Storm skiing days here never have lines. The day after the storm, half of SLC calls into work with the Alta fever and the Wildcat and Collins lines merge into one.

Then again, my "commute" is walking upstairs. Get some good snow tires!
Skidds Skidds
Reply |

If it means driving in the storm, I'll take day after.  Not worth the risk.

Now if I could drive up tonight and stay near the mountain.....day of, following 6 inches overnight, would be very nice.  A powder day that keeps refreshing all day long.  Alas, the doghouse would await if I were to beat feet tonight and ski tomorrow while the fam is home alone in the storm.

Me thinks Thursday will be an opportune time for my first visit to Plattekill.  If they aren't open tomorrow then all 12 to 18 inches will be awaitin' on Thursday morning.

warp daddy warp daddy
Reply |

The day after, live to ski another day !
Snowballs Snowballs
Reply |

In reply to this post by tBatt
tBatt wrote
Get some good snow tires!
I have good snow tires. Noah insisted in an endless debate. That guy loves him some snow tires.
takeahike46er takeahike46er
Reply |

Storm skiing!

- Free refills
- Generally less skiers
- (and in the east) Groomers can't ruin the limited acres of fresh snow
riverc0il riverc0il
Reply |

In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
This type of storm is absolutely a "ski the day of the storm" powder day. Everything will be packed down by Thursday for sure, especially considering northeast skiers are powder starved and really hungry right now. Nine times out of ten, I usually say go the day after. But there isn't going to be much fresh snow falling after closing bell, this type of timing is best to get at it ASAP. Wednesday should be a day which will get better with every run but Thursday is going to be a one powder run and done type of day.

My solution? Wait until mid-afternoon tomorrow and earn a run off piste. Best of both worlds and a tour to boot.
snoloco snoloco
Reply |

During the storm cause that is when school is closed.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
evergreen evergreen
Reply |

Definitely the day after, because I have to work the day of.
1234 ... 9