Storm Skiing or Day After?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
88 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which day would you ski this week?

margarettestine
The day after the snow is much better, to ensure your safety, but if you are a thrill-seeker then do it the other way.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Powder is great however you get it...I'm an "in the storm" guy, but that also depends on the timing of the storm.  My last run at Gore on Sunday was better than any run on Monday...even early tracks on Sagamore and freshies in Twister Glade.  Drama kept me away today but I will be there tomorrow.
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
If I have the choice, I am an in the storm skier. Quite often, the day after is a crazy wind hold day with sub normal temps.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
x10003q wrote
If I have the choice, I am an in the storm skier. Quite often, the day after is a crazy wind hold day with sub normal temps.
I got home from work yesterday and the wife made the decision for me. She said there is a 95% chance school is cancelled so we are going skiing tomorrow. It wasn't the balls to the wall pow day I originally envisioned but it was a blast spending a powder day with the family. My kids convinced my wife to do Boreas and she made it through without killing me or the kids. Good day for it. We are going to turn her into a Gore glade skier whether she wants it or not.

Roads on the way back were a little dicey but totally manageable with snow tires. With all seasons I would probably still be trying to get up the hill on 28.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
Skied the storm day on wed and had one of the best days ever at gore. Skied 3x under the straightbrook chair including both barrels without stopping because the conditions allowed it. Rare for eastern skiing. I would have skied all night if possible. Unfortunately, stayed aware from several secret stashes because i didn't have a buddy. White knuckle drive home. Thankfully, not much traffic because everyone stayed home. Hey, how come most cars going 40-50 mph tops on northway while semi trucks going 70+. BTW, road was completely white with no lane markers.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
traveling the day of storm looks rough tomorrow. this is from the local news outlet in albany

TRAVEL IMPACTS
Travel impacts will vary considerably throughout the region on Friday with dangerous to impossible travel likely throughout the Catskills, which would include I-88. Blinding snow with rates of 1”-2” per hour, and possibly as high as 3” per hour will be likely at times along with temperatures near freezing. Roads will be snow covered with near zero visibility at times in blizzard like conditions due to strong wind gusts from 40-45 mph.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
RUT ROH RORGE.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
going to be skiing belle tomorrow. For today I could have called out but it is a heavy wet snow at 1500' elevation where I am.  I wonder how similar it is up in the higher elevation.  

Last year we drove up during blizzard stella and that was an amazing day of perfect powder.  The drive was fun too.  Getting home to 2' of snow that hasn't been plowed yet was not as fun