Storm Skiing or Day After?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
88 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which day would you ski this week?

sudsnbumps
Still waiting to hear what I missed on thursday but Wednesday was by far my best ski day of the year.  If you made it past the wind on Rumor headwall the powder was filling in on every run...and the trees, oh the trees!  When everything else was closed and the Gondi still had one more in it...There was a dog that put an exclamation point to an EPIC day!

DURING

sorry NY...MRG tomorrow
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
This one is a "day after" storm for me. Working today and awaiting reports from people who're skiing during the storm.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
By the day after what day do you mean? Wednesday?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Yeah, Wednesday hoping to do a dawn patrol before work at a certain mountain on Exit 18 that isn't open yet (during the week) but will hopefully get 15" or so.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
mattchuck2 wrote
Yeah, Wednesday hoping to do a dawn patrol before work at a certain mountain on Exit 18 that isn't open yet (during the week) but will hopefully get 15" or so.

That's the way it's done.  Go get some Mattchuck.  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
ugh as soon as I get a new driveshaft, pads and rotors Day of will be fine...
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
If you're that desperate to ski day of the storm, then stay at a hotel at the resort or nearby. No point in risking your life.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by skunkape
skunkape wrote
ugh as soon as I get a new driveshaft, pads and rotors Day of will be fine...
How does a driveshaft go bad?

If we had the choice of skiing at all here, I would ski the day of AND the day after!
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
If you're that desperate to ski day of the storm, then stay at a hotel at the resort or nearby. No point in risking your life.
Risking my life is part of the fun.  Don't get all butt hurt cause others got bigger balls than you.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Risking my life is part of the fun.  Don't get all butt hurt cause others got bigger balls than you.
It takes balls to crash your car? I guess all those morons doing dui and texting while driving and smashing into someone must have big balls...including the women lol
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
It takes balls to crash your car? I guess all those morons doing dui and texting while driving and smashing into someone must have big balls...including the women lol
No to take the risk.  Ive never crashed in a snow storm.  And tomorrow will be no different.  Add powder day number 3 to the list.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
This one is a "day after" storm for me. Working today and awaiting reports from people who're skiing during the storm.
Whiteface tomorrow
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Both PA and GR have valid points IMO. Wanna ski fresh snow, Sure! Ever have hairy rides to the mtn, sure and I'm only 38 miles from Gore. There's been times I went and while driving I thought wth am I doing. But then I'm local and could usually go anytime. It only takes one crash to make it foolish so lately I stay home or hit West which is very close to me.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
No to take the risk.  Ive never crashed in a snow storm.  And tomorrow will be no different.  Add powder day number 3 to the list.
There's always the first accident. Don't jinx yourself.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
Both PA and GR have valid points IMO. Wanna ski fresh snow, Sure! Ever have hairy rides to the mtn, sure and I'm only 38 miles from Gore. There's been times I went and while driving I thought wth am I doing. But then I'm local and could usually go anytime. It only takes one crash to make it foolish so lately I stay home or hit West which is very close to me.
Some of these people are hundreds of miles away and talking about driving to N VT for powder. Why would you do a drive like that in the middle of a blizzard when you could get a room. It makes ZERO sense, but logic is in short supply here.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
I suppose it comes down to cost and available time off from work.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Snowballs wrote
Some of these people are hundreds of miles away and talking about driving to N VT for powder. Why would you do a drive like that in the middle of a blizzard when you could get a room. It makes ZERO sense, but logic is in short supply here.
Logic?  When you got out of work by agreeing to work late the day before and early the day after, the logic is Ill be riding in the storm rather than talking about it.  I dont base my life on luck or jinxs.  That kind of crap is for losers.  Staying the day before isnt an option for me but, its not going to stop me.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Snowballs wrote
Logic?  When you got out of work by agreeing to work late the day before and early the day after, the logic is Ill be riding in the storm rather than talking about it.  I dont base my life on luck or jinxs.  That kind of crap is for losers.  Staying the day before isnt an option for me but, its not going to stop me.

Make sure there's plenty of orange fencing where you go
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Hey PA haven't you ever heard about working hard but playing harder? Sounds like you don't do either the way you complain about money and lift tickets and how its all tracked out before you get there? What do you expect?For everyone to stay home so you arent the only one?
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
PowderAssassin wrote
You are a 1st Class Sally.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"