Storm Speculation: 1/23/2016 (Jonas)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
95 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Storm Speculation: 1/23/2016

JasonWx
Oddly enough the NAM is much further North with it's last 2 runs..
The forecast isn't locked yet..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Harvey
That means lots of crowds and mediocre conditions everywhere.  Although the flatlands will get snow, we'll all be skiing on man-made snow and ONLY man-made snow.

Mountain Creek may get a few inches, but not nearly enough for a "powder day" esp. on a weekend.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I thought since you got your license you are free to drive to Hunter.. Why putz around with MC...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
Eeeek, it's here!

Contagion 2, playing in a thread near you.  Contagion 2 is a 21st century NY skiing blog nightmare orchestrated by Snoloco.  The $hit show features an ensemble cast that includes Harvey, JasonWx, mattchuck 2, campgottagopee, PeeTex, Scotty Jack, freeheelin,  Coach Z, MikeK, billymc, Jon951, jjp, CMR, with cameo appearance by many other of your favorite NYSkiBloggers.  The plot of Contagion 2 documents the spread of virulent Mountain Crick discussions transmitted by Loco-itis, attempts by blog members to identify and contain the disease, the loss of forum order in a pandemic, and finally the introduction of 'vaccine threads' to (attempt to) halt its spread.

Contagion 2, Nothing Spreads Like Mountain Crick.  No thread is safe!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Shit your right..
I got caught in his vortex of misery..

Back to the weather...The 12z run will be interesting..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

jjbrady
It is really crazy here in NC. I live near Pinehurst and it is a mix of snow, freezing rain, sleet. Everything is shut down. Hope you guys get at least a little snow and not the mess we have down here.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Pendulum swinging back......Peter and the Crick back in the 6-10 inch range.  How much further up will the pendulum swing?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I just looked the latest FOUS..
I think 6 would be max for those guys..and that's being generous...If they get 10 that means I'll get 20..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Well I'm from the dirty jerz...maybe I should meet loco at crick for some powz....or maybe i'll just shovel my driveway and go sledding since they'll likely declare state of emergency and shut down all roads here after a few flakes touch the ground and I couldn't even make it to the cats to ski free at belleayre on my pass. Damn this thing needs to turn north......
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
I thought since you got your license you are free to drive to Hunter.. Why putz around with MC...
When I was working for George Bush in the H building I would be driving to Timberline on a night like this...
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Welp, I'm here.  Didn't seem right to leave the women to deal with strep and power potential outages to head up to ski.

Truth be told I'd rather ski the six inches on top in our woods in North River than anything else this weekend, but it just wasn't to be. I do have an old incredibly beat pair of Karhus that I may take out for ski day 19 tomorrow.

Plattekill on Sunday seems like a long shot at best.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Well, seeing forecasts putting Peter and the Crick back in the foot plus range, with Beacon Mountain pushing a foot.  Non-mountain forecasts for my area in Dutchess Co. In the 5-8 inch range.

Still nobody forecasting anything for the Cats.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Seems like we've got about 9 inches of snow in CNJ. Hard to tell with the wind blowing so hard. Hard to believe we haven't had a flicker of lights yet.

We have the heat up to 70 hope to stay a little warmer if/when the power goes out. Kind of pointless if the power it out for a couple days. I laid awake last night listening to the furnace, it never went off. Caching.  $$

If you got storm obs maybe put them here.

EDIT: Maybe a foot, hard to tell. Plenty of bare ground around too.  Shoveling is pointless except when you have a tiny dog you need something to walk.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harv, you could be that XC skier they always take a picture of in storms like this: "Man skis with pet dachshund in central New Jersey."
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Harv, you could be that XC skier they always take a picture of in storms like this: "Man skis with pet dachshund in central New Jersey."
"Local resident Harvey Road heads to Quickee Mart to pick up Powerball tickets."
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Penny is from Georgia... she is like WTF? I ain't goin out.  We got some work ahead to turn her into a Ski Dog.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey wrote
Penny is from Georgia... she is like WTF? I ain't goin out.  We got some work ahead to turn her into a Ski Dog.
Take your time, she has to catch up to Crusoe, the skiing weiner dog:

You would be surprised how well a short dog does in deep snow.

Sorry for the (snow) drift, back to storm reporting.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

dobermann
In reply to this post by Harvey
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Started snowing here in Southern Dutchess at 9:00.  Big jump overnight in the snowfall forecast for SE NY.