classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
162 messages Options
1 ... 3456789
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: West Mountain Conditions

Hudsonhiker
Skied WEST today 10am- 2pm. Frolic groomed to prefection! Alley, Coy Chute and Turtle groomed earlier with about an inch of new new on top. Holy Mack groomed before the inch of fresh was great> Gnar wall OK but abit to solid for my liking. Open Face was great snow but in the flat light was difficult to see the contours. Skied with same Wed am guys that are there every Wed. Some every day like Harold!!! All in all West is a great little place in my backyard try it. Prolly not after 3pm when the school kids arrive thou. Blowing snow on Mach til about noon it got too warm I assumed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Hudsonhiker wrote
  Prolly not after 3pm when the school kids arrive thou.
It is a great place to have right next door. For those not local, when the triple is open the after school crowd matters far less. Open space over there after 3pm. Main lifts tend to clear out around 7:30 as the kids head indoors then home.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
This is the time of year when I ski West every Tuesday and Thursday night. Conditions were a little firm last night. But the big problem was that, between the 4 courses (3 GS, 1 SL) that various race programs set up and the park, there was very little room for the skiing public on the face:

Hopefully they can get Mach opened up, because these race groups need some space to spread out.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
mattchuck2 wrote
This is the time of year when I ski West every Tuesday and Thursday night. Conditions were a little firm last night. But the big problem was that, between the 4 courses (3 GS, 1 SL) that various race programs set up and the park, there was very little room for the skiing public on the face:

Hopefully they can get Mach opened up, because these race groups need some space to spread out.
I've felt the same way for a while. I understand that the mountain wants that stuff visible, but...
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
1st weekend in March West has u14 states so if no Mach to run a Super G on before that they will have move states to Gore and put the Kandahar Finals at West
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Coach Z wrote
1st weekend in March West has u14 states so if no Mach to run a Super G on before that they will have move states to Gore and put the Kandahar Finals at West
They were blowing snow on the Mach all week. Barring some severe weather, I think you'll be at West.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
Blowing on Mach, Go-Go, Banister today. Conditions Super from 10 to 2 flat light and school programs so I bagged it after 2
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I guess the new thing for ski club kids is to just throw their ski bags on the ground and get them later:

Maybe camp and JTG are right about these damn kids today.
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
Mattchuck,

Don't be so judgmental of the Youth of America!  These urchins are in such a hurry to get on the hill and ski with your Awesomeness that they just assume all will be forgiven and that the snow fairies will arrive and put your skis in their bags, never to be seen again, except on Craigslist for a great price.  West Mtn., ski-theft central.

I digress, how 'bout them Lake Tahoe Resorts!  So big, you really need a trail map to navigate them, don't'cha know.
I've got Ace working on locating them, since you've failed, so sad. (That's as Trumpian as I can muster).

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the Play?

All the best, Ski you on the Hill.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Haha, I'll get your maps, 64er.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
need a report on West guys

we are a little over a week away from U14 States at West and the weather forecast looks horrific down there.  Lots of warm days in the 50-60 and worse not freezing at night.  Is the snow pack going to hold up enough to run 3 days of racing including a Super G?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/queensbury-ny/12804/february-weather/2128555

Could move it I guess to WF or Gore.  Gore already has a Kanadhar that weekend but WF doesn't have any races scheduled that weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Don't know about actual conditions but it didn't look good as i drove by this afternoon on my way home from a meeting in Albonie. I heard Gore switched this Fridays Super G to a GS and took the Super G out of the U19 states entirely, now 2 GS days and 1 Slalom day. There is almost no snow south of Lake George now.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Z
I've been skiing it every Tuesday and Thursday for the past 4 weeks. Snow still holding up well. Should be able to run the event.

I can give a better report after skiing it tomorrow.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by PeeTex
U16 Champs at WF decided to drop the SG as its going to rain that day.  I'm going to be the start hand timer on Sunday when it will have froze back up.

I hope they can pull off a SG for the U14's - my son really loves that event and I think he will do well in it.

Matt - let me know what you think after you ski there Thursday.  Are you doing some training there for West?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Coach Z wrote
U16 Champs at WF decided to drop the SG as its going to rain that day.  I'm going to be the start hand timer on Sunday when it will have froze back up.

I hope they can pull off a SG for the U14's - my son really loves that event and I think he will do well in it.

Matt - let me know what you think after you ski there Thursday.  Are you doing some training there for West?
I teach a skiing class for a local community college.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
mattchuck2 wrote
Coach Z wrote
I teach a skiing class for a local community college.

That's great. Nice way to get out on some weeknights and make some money while doing it.

Is it learn to ski or more of a higher level type thing with some tech and teaching knowledge as well?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Matt how is West holding on?
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
FWIW, I can see West from my back yard, and almost all the snow at my house is gone. I'm sitting in my driveway typing this and it's at least 62-63 degrees. Last I saw they had set up a skier-cross course on the Mach. Wondering if that was also to help "bank" snow for the future?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
As bad as things are up here can someone that has eyes or better yet skis on West give me an update.  Looking at he forecast I don't see how they will make it thru the week much less host a race next weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
1 ... 3456789