classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
162 messages Options
1 ... 56789
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: West Mountain Conditions

MC2 5678F589
You mean: "who is available on the middle of the day on a Tuesday to report back to NY SkiBlog?"

Not me.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Somebody must want a free lunch in the area

Food is pretty good at West
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I was thinking Yukon Cornelius, but he's going to be out of town.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Sorry, dudes! Maybe next time.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Can I leverage that into a membership in Eastern Snowsports Writers Association or North American Snowsports Journalists Association?

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Have you had difficulty joining?
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Harvey wrote
Have you had difficulty joining?
The difficulty is that I don't have a writing job, and no one to pay my expenses to the NASJA winter meeting in Sun Valley.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
NEW WEST MOUNTAIN REFRESHED FOR A NEW GENERATION
FAMILY SKI AND RIDING DESTINATION GEARS UP FOR 2019-20 SEASON

For immediate release: Nov. 19, 2019
Queensbury, NY---While skiers and riders wait for the first snowflakes to fall, West Mountain is busy prepping
for a new season that will provide an authentic upstate experience for its guests. From new chairlifts and
expanded terrain, 100% snowmaking capabilities, learn-to-lessons, after-school programs, tubing, night skiing
and an up-and-coming alpine racing program, West Mountain provides the place for family fun and an
exhilarating experience.

IMPROVEMENTS

With 31 trails and 5 lifts, skiers and riders of all abilities can make West Mountain their winter home.
Affordable and accessible, West Mountain offers guests the ability to enjoy new infrastructure improvements
on and off the mountain this season. Improvements include a new “Apex” triple chairlift on the Northwest
side, 15 tower snow guns that round out the completion of 100% snowmaking capabilities, and a five-acre
Tree-Top Aerial Adventure Park. In addition to the updates on the mountain, a brand new West Express Cafe
will be open on the first floor of the main lodge this season offering more healthy food options.
Skiers and riders also have the option of experiencing the mountain under the lights with night skiing. West

Mountain is the only ski area within 35 miles of Queensbury to offer night skiing, making the mountain a go-
to destination for after-school programs and college and university ski clubs.

FUTURE FOCUSED

West Mountain is focused on improving the brand and experience for a new generation. Additional offerings
are adding to West Mountain’s roster – with new year-round activities including mountain biking, scenic
chairlift rides, hiking and the all-new Tree-Top Aerial Adventure ropes course (opened summer 2019). West
also has future plans to offer more outdoor activities including summer adventure camp programs and an
Alpine Racing Academy under the leadership of world-class race coach, Steve Lathrop.

BRAND REFRESH

West Mountain continues to evolve for a new generation. To support its vision for the future, West Mountain is
proud to introduce two new brand logos. Rooted in history, the new primary logo preserves the original family
crest dating back to 1961, yet refreshes it with a new color palette that is vibrant, bold and inviting. The new
secondary logo is uniquely West Mountain and embodies its vision for the future by using versatile and modern
elements for a strong impact.

The new logo system leverages the existing brand essence by leaning on West Mountain’s heritage while
communicating the fresh athleticism associated with the active outdoor lifestyle promoted at West Mountain.
“We’re excited for the future of West Mountain as we continue to evolve and meet the needs of our loyal skiers,
riders and families,” said Spencer Montgomery, Co-Owner and Managing Member. “We have invested $17 million
in improvements to infrastructure to provide our guests with a true resort experience, while maintaining our
family mountain charm.”

COMMITMENT TO THE COMMUNITY

West Mountain School, West Mountain Racing's non-profit organization, organizes several fundraisers
annually including the WMS Ski & Sports Gear Swap to support the WMR program with program and camp
scholarships, safety equipment and supplies. WMR and WMS believe involvement in sports fosters lifelong
health and wellness and is committed to the community and the next generation of skiers/riders.

“West Mountain Racing’s mission is to develop and educate young ski racers in order to help them achieve their
dreams, aspirations and goals both on and off the snow,” said Sara Montgomery, General Manager/Program
Director West Mountain Racing. “Our program offers top-notch alpine ski racing, training, travel and race tuning
that sets up our ski racers for success.”

UPCOMING EVENTS

Opening Day To be announced!
December 18 Burgers, Beers and Bands Begins in the West Mtn Bar & Eatery
December 26-29 2-day Stay & Play Holiday Lesson Camps
January 4 Weekend 6-Week Programs Begin
January 6 Midweek 6-Week Programs Begin
January 13 Monday Night Racing Begins
January 19-20 MLK Weekend 2-day Stay & Play Lesson Camps
January 25 Snow Fest from 2-6pm with live music, ticket, food and drink specials and more
February 15 Fire on the Mountain from 7-11pm with live music by Audio Stars
February 16-21 February Break Stay & Play Lesson Camps
Visit westmtn.net/events/ for a full list of upcoming events.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I hate this type of corporate speak:

"The new logo system leverages the existing brand essence by leaning on West Mountain’s heritage while communicating the fresh athleticism associated with the active outdoor lifestyle promoted at West Mountain"

Who writes this garbage and thinks it's a good way to convey their message?
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Marketing bozos speaking to each other and not their audience.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote

"The new logo system leverages the existing brand essence by leaning on West Mountain’s heritage while communicating the fresh athleticism associated with the active outdoor lifestyle promoted at West Mountain"

Amateurs, that's who.

Here's how pros roll:

"The new best in class logo system leverages the existing value add brand essence by leaning on West Mountain’s heritage while communicating the game changing fresh athleticism associated with the customer centric active outdoor lifestyle promoted at West Mountain"

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
billyymc wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote

Amateurs, that's who.

Here's how pros roll:

"The new best in class logo system leverages the existing value add brand essence by leaning on West Mountain’s heritage while communicating the game changing fresh athleticism associated with the customer centric active outdoor lifestyle promoted at West Mountain"
Nice work. It smells like committee product to me; having a logo system rather then just a logo doesn’t suggest decisiveness .
That being said, I’ve somehow never skied at West. Should I?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Well if you like checking things off your list then OK.  I would say hit it on the way back from Gore for a few night turns.  If I lived in glens falls I would probably ski there if I wanted to go out at night.  When the light is up I would drive the extra 20 minutes to Gore.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
In reply to this post by Brownski
Great statement it's been an amazing few years over there.

They continue to do great things and I'm excited to teach my daughter+ how to ski there.  

Billy, if you're close you won't be disappointed if you're looking to get a nice few hours in.  I haven't seen the additional upgrades in the lodge, but am sure it's nice.

The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by bumps
I agree it sounds to me like something from an internal marketing document, not public facing PR.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Here's how pros roll:

Somebody signing checks was baffled with bullshit.  WTF is a "logo system?"  "Fresh athleticism?"  Had to preface that with "game changing" - y'know game/athleticism....

It's amazing how communication is inversely proportional.  Take the mundane and add unnecessary adjectives and syllables to feign importance and thwart unconfident people from asking questions.  Vice versa - simplify the complex to, possibly, get away with something or calm nerves.  A very basic For instance, secretary becomes executive assistant (4 syllables/1 word to 6 syllables/2 words).  Awesome!

Conversely, take nuclear magnetic resonance imaging.  Complex stuff.  First, remove nuclear.  Bad connotation.  Secondly, acronymize it.  Done!

Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Here's how pros roll:"
I think pros would roll more like this.....

This year West Mountain adopted two logos.  The first, an updated version of its throwback logo respects the history and commitment that West Mountain has to the sport and its guests.  The second logo is all-new and reflects West’s vision toward the future – toward inviting new guests who can help to write our future together.

West can have this for free.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Harvey
Here's an article that probably came out of the Media Day.  The snowmaking infrastructure and lighting improvements seem like it will made a big difference.  Also noted the idea of having one lift and the small lodge open during late season.

https://poststar.com/news/local/west-mountain-finishes-seven-year-project/article_bec9aaeb-2b8a-5dfb-acbf-948cb28a132a.html#1
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
How is West currently?
4 day FIS race series coming up for my son Jan 4-7
I’m think will be ok for SL but a Fis GS has to start upon those flats above Knarlwall
Maybe it gets moved to Gore on Echo for the GS?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
West Mountain will be fine for the races this weekend. I was there yesterday there are feet’s of man made on the race trail. From the summit down Cure to Holy Mackerl over the Gnarwall to the Face. Skiing on the rest of the trails was good too. They have pounded the race trail with snowmaking just Incase of a weather event like today’s crud. I go to West a couple times a week mostly weekday mornings when it’s quiet. Yesterday was not quiet but everyone was having a good time kinda before the storm smiles.
1 ... 56789