1 ... 456789
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: West Mountain Conditions

Z
Looks good

I volunteered and did the start hand timing today At u16 States - dam that is a cold job.  Thought my fingers were going to fall off.  Coach from West swore they are going to do a Super G next Saturday and will make snow if needed to pull it off.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
It looked like the best total coverage on the mountain. I think you're probably in good shape for the race.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
I volunteered and did the start hand timing today At u16 States - dam that is a cold job.
I have done that job. Seemed like every time I did it it was one of the coldest days of the season.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Sorry I didn't get back to you, Coach. Crashed out after class on Thursday night, then was busy all weekend at Plattekill, with TeleFest Friday and a two day PSIA Tele Clinic on Saturday and Sunday. Anyway, this was from last Thursday, before the rain:

As you can see, they still have some snow. We'll see what happens after this week.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
In reply to this post by PeeTex
I also did the hand timing for our race this weekend.All the ski dad doctor and lawyer types could not believe I could go an hour 30 without gloves.Told  them I learned to braves the cold in hunting season. Never felt comfy covering my trigger finger. Credit and 'll the young racers conditions were cat tracks on ice.Just had my  good skis tuned ,so I wore an old pair. So icy I had to either side slip or just bomb.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Terrible conditions last night. Just about the worst I've ever skied - all ice, death chunks, bare spots, kids careening through at high speed. I'd be surprised if there were no injuries.

They did have a bunch of guns set up on Gnarwall and the Face for their big race weekend, so hopefully they're pounding the mountain with snow.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
My son is at West for skills day now
My wife said they are blowing
WF wasn't much better yesterday.  He took off school to train
They made one run and coach pulled the plug

Normally I prefer to ski at these races but it seems the only decent skiing may be on the course where they have blown.

Waiting to hear if they are blowing Mach.  I really hope they can run a SG
Reply | Threaded
|

Adrider83
This may be the first weekend where I just opt to work, so I can have some flexibility for the next decent mid-week day of skiing....
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I heard they were going to run guns on Mach too. They're saying that's where the Super G and GS will be (Slalom on Gnarwall/Face).
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z

Firm fast and very cold for Super G on Mach

Good set up here but not much skiing otherwise so almost all the parents are tailgating

Congrats to West for being to pull a SG off

Fast course set by coachs Jimbo and Norton.  Should be a good one.  If in the area come watch and drink a beer with me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Went to West with the kiddos last night for the Tuesday night special. Was told at ticket desk that this is the last week of weekday operations. We got to the hill a little after 6. The sun was still up and the temps were moderate. Once the sun went down the temps did too and everything stiffened up quick. Old triple side was open till 8pm with mach and banister open. All trails had pretty good cover. Some bare spots here. Beer league racing tonight if you like it cold hard and fast.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Anyone been to West lately?
States races for my son there Friday and Saturday?  Are they going to make it ok thru the real warm stretch this week?

Is there snow on the section away from the lodge where they normally do the GS?

SL is right in front of the bar
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Thought the new Gs trail was top of mt straight down to lodge.  Then have been building that upwards last few years and college races held there.   Kids enjoying it.  Parents too.  Sorry no updates on snow
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Race Trails will be fine. Rest of mountain, not so much.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Hoser
Last yr West also had u14 states and now have u16.  I’m sure they bid hard on it as the owners kid is racing and is fast.

They did the GS on the lookers right section last yr so I assumed it would be there again.  I like sitting in the bar or deck it it’s warm on the lodge side and tailgating was fun on the other side.  West can’t do a u16 SG so that is at Gore on Sunday while the u19 states do there SL at West
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Yea its much better on the lodge side.  U16 then J3 did a SG states back in 2010, remember it as same time Warhorse got his Olympic medal.  Came off the top of the old triple far right (the North side) across the flats down by the Monster and back around to almost bottom of lift.   That's about the last speed event before the series went to Bristol or ORDA hills at least for speed.
Reply | Threaded
|

xWeatherMan
Did the 4 hour ticket at West today, $35 online not bad. Skiing was fairly good considering no snow in the woods and the recent rain. Almost all of the main West area was open, they were busy snowmaking on Northwest but that wasn't open yet. Looks like they upgraded there snowmaking as there seemed to be a lot of guns running. Everything was groomed and edge-able in the morning, iced up a little after lunch. Terrain got a little boring after a while, Northwest has more variety. All-in-all pretty good. They are evidently redoing the cafeteria (which definitely needed it) so there was just a sort of snack bar open and a food truck outside. Lodge was packed and there was long line for tubing tickets but the lift line ranged from nothing to maybe 5 minutes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
Skied West 9 to 1 today. Sunny not cold about 28 degrees high clouds came in late. All trails on old south side covered nicely groomed to perfection. No snow in the woods. No people NO people for the first 2 or 3 runs we could ski everywhere we wanted as fast or in my case slow as we liked. Edgeable easy turning no ice snow. Frolic skied nicely especially middle section with the snowmaking towers gone it’s great. Holy mackerel down over the Gnar Wall and Racers Face was great. No racers practice this morning so that we had the trail to play on. About 11 is gets busy, kids still off school but a lot of tubers so it’s busy around the lodge but the trails seemed quiet. One o’clock the clouds came in, the grooming wore off and the legs say we’re done. Lotta nice runs. Looking forward to the North side opening soon they have build whales and are blowing at least a couple trails today. It’s early in the season I’m looking for a long great one.
Reply | Threaded
|

Capdistski
Didn’t feel like all the driving to Gore in the blizzard today so drove 15 minutes to West for a great powder day.  At least a foot, and the whole North End was ungroomed, deep and smooth.  Snow kept falling while we were there - easily another 4-6”.  What a great day.  Gotta love West when we want to stay close.  I usually go 1-2 times a year and am impressed by patient but significant upgrades being done by current ownership.  And we love the feeling of taking ones life in your hands on the north chair - my son calls it the ghost chair...
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Harvey,

A reminder to please RSVP to our on-site Media Day, Tuesday, November 19, 11:00am – 1:00pm, 59 West Mountain Rd. in Queensbury, NY. There will be a buffet luncheon, so we'd like to have a headcount for attendees. Thank you!

More info:
We will share our vision for the future! Come see our infrastructure improvements, expanded terrain, updated dining lodge and much more. Your invitation includes a buffet luncheon followed by sweet delights and coffee. See the attached media invite and please RSVP by Nov. 14 to this email address.

Thank you--we look forward to seeing you!

West Mountain
59 West Mountain Road
Queensbury, NY 12804
#westmountain #westmtn

-------------------

Who wants to REPRESENT?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
1 ... 456789