classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
285 messages Options
1 ... 45678910 ... 15
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's next?

JTG4eva!
Just because Biden was the best DNC option out of the primary you think the Dems wouldn’t rather have a better candidate to put up?  Back to the sad sack state of affairs that is our two party system, when the best we can do is Trump-Biden.  I know left leaning people who actually think that Trump is the lesser of two evils in the upcoming election.

What’s going to change and how in the Renaissance Revolution?  I have no idea....that’s what we need visionaries for!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think we can make some basic guesses, but guarantee there will be some surprises.

Interesting that the correlation between the dow and nasdaq has really dropped.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote
I think we can make some basic guesses, but guarantee there will be some surprises.
Yeah, I was looking for your guesses in this "What's next" thread.

My guess is that post-pandemic USA will look very similar to pre-pandemic USA and not much is going to change politically, or in day-to-day life.

Economically, I think we're in for a rough couple of years under austerity (unless the Government starts cutting payroll taxes to zero or supplementing wages or something, but that is highly unlikely under any President).
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'm too busy right now to give it the thought required to add anything beyond the potentially obvious:

Handshaking a thing of the past.
Masks common in the US the way they are in Asia.
Working from home much more common.
Companies that provide solutions that allow us to function or thrive will succeed.
Amazon crushing bricks and mortar will accelerate.
Like after 9/11, we'll get used to the changes.
Vaccine will be the real turning point, when things go back as close to normal as possible.

Not sure normal is 100% good.

Like I said I don't have much.  

I'd like to hear your ideas, I think you have a knack for it.

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Companies need to have people at the door coming in.  Take temperature, wear mask, distance as much as possible.  WE need a test that is accurate and quick.  When people do get sick they go home for 14 days(paid) and try again.  Business with low touch points open first as the test.  The car wash, Golf Courses, car dealers are few that come to mind.   If they are successful you start opening up other things.  Anything that involves large gathering and close contact sit on the sideline for a while.  

Everyone should be wearing a masks period!!  People should be shamed when we see them out without one.  People forget sometimes but we will get used to it.  

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I'd like to hear your ideas, I think you have a knack for it.
My ideas of what *is* going to happen are above (people will try as hard as possible to return to pre-pandemic life, so therefore, there won't be any real changes.. I'm not going to be wearing a mask whenever I'm in public, for instance).

My ideas of what *should* happen would be too political for the whiners on this forum.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Why wont you wear masks in public?  Because it does not protect you?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
A good way to destroy "herd immunity" for smaller, less deadly diseases is to have everyone wear masks and separate from each other at all times after this pandemic is over.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
MC2 5678F589 wrote
My ideas of what *is* going to happen are above (people will try as hard as possible to return to pre-pandemic life, so therefore, there won't be any real changes.. I'm not going to be wearing a mask whenever I'm in public, for instance). My ideas of what *should* happen would be too political for the whiners on this forum.
I was initially anti-mask, but now I'm wearing a mask in public, not for myself, but for those around me.

To be perfectly honest MC, I would have thought you would've been pro-mask from the get-go

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Everyone should be wearing a masks period!!  People should be shamed when we see them out without one.  People forget sometimes but we will get used to it.
You're an outcast here if you don't have a mask on. I made a risk run yesterday to the liquor store. They now have self bagging stations right next to the registers. This woman was bagging up her purchase and saw me next in line holding onto my handle of Tito's and 4 bottles of Joel Gott. She says, common up here and check-out, I'm not scared of catching anything. She didn't have a mask on. I shook my head in disbelief and mentioned to her that she should be. She then said, well if it makes you happy I wear one when I go see my 90yo mother. Not that we need anymore proof of this but idiots still exist 😠
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by nepa
Masks are sexy!!   when I saw the Asians wearing them I thought to myself they have a lot more experience with this stuff than we do.  I've been using them for 5 weeks now.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote

My ideas of what *should* happen would be too political for the whiners on this forum.
Is this directed at me? I think it is. I just want to make sure and hear it from you before I go tell you to go fuck yourself.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
NJ represent.

https://www.rutgers.edu/news/new-rutgers-saliva-test-coronavirus-gets-fda-approval
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
 My observation is that people in your neck of the woods use masks a hell of a lot more than they do around here.  I see kids in the supermarkets that work without masks and cringe for everyone.  It should be no mask no work!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
MC2 5678F589 wrote
My guess is that post-pandemic USA will look very similar to pre-pandemic USA and not much is going to change politically, or in day-to-day life.
I don’t disagree, for a time, even a long time.  The US will look to get back to as close to the normal that was as we can, along with the stuff that Harvey mentioned.

Bear with me, however, as I pontificate.

I do think this episode in history will make more people realize that maintaining the status quo isn’t a long term viable option.  Healthcare, Politics, Economics...the whole lot.  Yeah, many have been beating the drum for change for years and years, but this event will serve to reduce the adversarial nature that has been the norm for too long, and allow the people to coalesce, finally, without the typical noise of Politics, on the change that matters.  

As the Black Death ushered in great change, both political and economic, during The Renaissance, so shall COVID-19 lead to a new renaissance. As technological change led to the urbanization of industry and proliferation of factories during The Industrial Revolution, so shall we simultaneously see new technologies, applied to wide swaths of the economy to reduce the need for crowded/urbanized industry, lead to a new technological and industrial revolution.

The environment alone wasn’t enough.  The farce of a Trump presidency or the prospects of a Trump-Biden election alone weren't enough.  Healthcare alone, not enough.  The economy, nope.  Not even all those things together have been enough.  Seems silly now, I know.  However, throw in a once in a generation pandemic that has impacted the world, each of us, profoundly, at least for a time....I think that’s the catalyst.  The  realization of how fragile the whole mess of it is will dawn on more, in a different way, and it will be enough to bring about a Renaissance Revolution that will change the history books.

It’s going to take a decade, time for true leaders to develop.  It’s probably going to be someone coming of age now and forming opinions in the midst of the pre-pandemic dysfunction, for whom this pandemic will leave an indelible mark.  It will take that person, and others like her or him, to rise up, from grass roots, and, Politically, lead the US away from the  dysfunctional two party system that has done more to hold the country back than anything, particularly recently.   At the same time captains of new industry will emerge, and new leaders in the medical field who will be willing to put aside protocol and red tape....and a handful of other visionaries who will change the World.

The impacts of this pandemic seem too profound not to result in eventual change.

Or maybe not....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I had assumed that by saying "What's next?" the OP meant "What is next?"

Broski?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
  Yeah, many have been beating the drum for change for years and years, but this event will serve to reduce the adversarial nature that has been the norm for too long, and allow the people to coalesce, finally, without the typical noise of Politics, on the change that matters.
Are you kidding me? The "adversarial nature" is part of life, and will continue as long as my ideas for the future (Universal healthcare, UBI, environmental protection) are the opposite of Z's or PeeTex's ideas for the future (less of a government role in healthcare, "get a job, hippy", and "climate change is bullshit").

People aren't going to "coalesce" any time soon.

As the Black Death ushered in great change, both political and economic, during The Renaissance, so shall COVID-19 lead to a new renaissance. As technological change led to the urbanization of industry and proliferation of factories during The Industrial Revolution, so shall we simultaneously see new technologies, applied to wide swaths of the economy to reduce the need for crowded/urbanized industry, lead to a new technological and industrial revolution.

The environment alone wasn’t enough.  The farce of a Trump presidency or the prospects of a Trump-Biden election alone weren't enough.  Healthcare alone, not enough.  The economy, nope.  Not even all those things together have been enough.  Seems silly now, I know.  However, throw in a once in a generation pandemic that has impacted the world, each of us, profoundly, at least for a time....I think that’s the catalyst.  The  realization of how fragile the whole mess of it is will dawn on more, in a different way, and it will be enough to bring about a Renaissance Revolution that will change the history books.
Maybe make some concrete predictions here or stop wasting everyone's time. What, exactly, does this "Renaissance Revolution" look like? Do we have a basic income? Do we have 15 hour workweeks? How will people be producing all this art if people are still struggling to feed themselves? I just went to Target & a 16-oz package of bacon was $12. Paper Towels were $20 for 6 rolls. Have you seen the lines at food banks? Maybe nepa can speak to that.

People need money so that they can survive. Other people are hoarding it. How does that issue get resolved in your Renaissance? (because it sure as shit wasn't resolved in the actual Renaissance)
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Is this directed at me?.
Not *just* you. Before he disappeared, PeeTex was whining more than you if it makes you feel better.

My ideas include a lot of talk about what world governments should do, and the types of people that should be elected and that is probably too political for you, the guy who wrote this:
'campgottagopee wrote
While I still feel our Gov gets an A+ for his leadership during the Covid 19 pandemic, he gets a big fat F for controlling gun sales during this time. As I understand it only cops can buy a gun right now. He's taking rights away from citizens. Total BS
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx

Maybe make some concrete predictions here or stop wasting everyone's time. What, exactly, does this "Renaissance Revolution" look like? Do we have a basic income? Do we have 15 hour workweeks? How will people be producing all this art if people are still struggling to feed themselves? I just went to Target & a 16-oz package of bacon was $12. Paper Towels were $20 for 6 rolls. Have you seen the lines at food banks? Maybe nepa can speak to that.

I went to shoprite yesterday..bounty towels 8 pk 11.50..Bacon usual price.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by nepa
nepa wrote
To be perfectly honest MC, I would have thought you would've been pro-mask from the get-go
Why? Have you never seen my "personal choice" posts in the various helmet threads over the years? (And, much like helmet use, I think there might be a bit of an increase in assumption of risk, meaning I think some people will say, "oh, I can go out and live my life normally because I'm wearing a mask")

I think Cuomo is requiring masks in public now (where distancing is impossible like public transportation & grocery stores), so I'll have to start wearing a bandana, but as soon as that is lifted, I'll be back to normal.

Why do I not want to wear a mask? I hate not having my face visible, I don't feel like the protection offered adds *that much* to normal (especially if you keep your distance from people as I plan on doing), it's going to be hot and sweaty in the summer, I'm not paying money for some super-mask (although super-mask production is a great business to get into right now, especially if it looks cool), and I don't want to feel like I'm in some fucking apocalypse movie (not yet, anyway).

Honestly, I'm thinking we might be swinging a bit too far into in the "going overboard with rules" direction right now. Because the ball was dropped on containing the virus, the strategy shifted to "flatten the curve", which we have done (and are continuing to do). It's going to be effective, less people will die than if we took no action, and we'll probably be able to keep it flat until a vaccine is developed. *I* think, with all of the world's top pandemic scientists working on the cure, it will be available in September or sooner, but *obviously* some people have different opinions.

I'm with tjf and I think that car wash places, golf courses, parks, and retail stores should be reopened (especially if this mask order is in place, especially if we keep up the social distancing, especially if people are still staying home from a lot of jobs).

I thought this visualization on flattening the curve was a good one and I think that if you look at the last bouncing ball graph (the one where only 1 in 8 people move around), it shows that we can keep the total infected number pretty low. Add a mask to that, and I'd imagine the risks of transmission become even smaller (but, as I mentioned, not a huge difference from safe practices minus mask - we're not going to be going around coughing & sneezing on everyone).
1 ... 45678910 ... 15