285 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 15
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's next?

Harvey
Administrator
I guess you're assuming I am directing those comments at you.

The key with behavioral is delivering the message to those are open to it.  I could be wrong but I don't think you are changing minds, and I don't think others are changing yours. Maybe give me an example to prove me wrong.

Bring on the big ideas. I'm interested. I tune out when they are surrounded with insults.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by witch hobble
You lost me on the sex analogy.

My family is also all over the spectrum.

I agree with the disappointment in our candidates. How can we get beyond same old same old? Let's hear some big ideas.

We can't seem to do the politics without the attacks.  We are not unique in this way.  I'm skeptical that those who want politics back here, long for it because they hope we'll make progress as a society.

MC why did you ask to have the politics shut down?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
The key with behavioral is delivering the message to those are open to it.
Why assume people aren't open to changing their minds?
I could be wrong but I don't think you are changing minds, and I don't think others are changing yours. Maybe give me an example to prove me wrong..
PeeTex (and additional research), convinced me that Government shouldn't bother giving grants to Harvard/Yale/Cornell and should focus on State Schools & smaller schools.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Harvey wrote
You lost me on the sex analogy.

My family is also all over the spectrum.

I agree with the disappointment in our candidates. How can we get beyond same old same old? Let's hear some big ideas.
The sex analogy was just some ad absurdum, which is my go to move (chicks dig it). To somehow be really passionate and opinionated about politics but to avoid it (yet not be able not to click on a topic) in a regional ski forum because of what? The sanctity? And then to abandon the place because of it? It just seems unnecessarily prudish to me, so a sex analogy seemed apropos.

We have had some of these conversations back in politicrap before. I’m in favor of voting by mail, election day being a national holiday, runoff voting, cross endorsing of candidates to encourage people to vote for a candidate they may not find perfect on a party line that they identify with. And assorted other ideas that encourage more participation in the process to better reflect the desires of the people.

Of course, right now, like many Americans, I just want the current Prez gone bad enough that I will hold my nose and vote for whom ever the overlords bring forth. And that is a major flaw in our system.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote
MC why did you ask to have the politics shut down?
I think the tipping point was that meme shit... Johnny talking about surfing over dead African kids or something.

If you learn too much about people, you start to realize that some people believe in some pretty (insane/racist/ignorant/hateful) shit and I was hoping that if we toned it down (got rid of the forum & only mentioned it occasionally in the OT, or confined it to 1 thread), we could avoid the worst of it.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Oh man, this has turned into quite the shit show. All I was trying to point out was that maybe there’s something positive that may come out of all of this. It’s probably a big maybe but why not throw around some thoughts without personal attacks?

I apologize if I threw gas on the fire Harv.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Blame the memes .

MC winds up as a punching bag sometimes, just like peetex, just like coach. That has to be tiring. I’m guessing that’s why people take breaks or call for a shutdown.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
witch hobble wrote
Blame the memes .
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
Blame the memes ..
The thing about meme warfare is:

And there were some pretty racist memes that I guess some righties considered funny, but it just kinda made me question why people would want to spread that message to a wider audience.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
witch hobble wrote
MC winds up as a punching bag sometimes, just like peetex, just like coach. That has to be tiring.
It is for me. Maybe exhausting is a better word.

RA, I don't see you taking personal shots at people or if you do, I can't remember it.

It's pretty rare that I get all the way through a linked article here.  I read all of RA's article and it had a real impact on me.  I have no idea if it's accurate, but it drove home the idea that sustainable life on earth is going to be extremely hard to achieve and will take powerful forces to put it in motion.  

That might be a political idea, but I think I expressed it without putting any one down.

Thanks for clearing that one thing up for me MC. There was a meme, maybe it's the same one you're talking about, I'll never be able forget it.

The pandemic has made realize that we are all coming from a different place. It's based on who you are and what you are surrounded by. I'm emotional about all kinds of stupid things right now. Like having all our trails closed here, has really bummed me out.  Those around me could tell you, I'm having a hard time taking a joke.
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Just so I understand you correctly, you are staying life hasn't changed for you one bit. Is that right?
Fair question.  Only thing that has changed is that my wife got laid off from her 2 day per week job at an orthopedic surgeon practice.  She's very experienced and will most likely be hired back when things get back to normal...will be a lot of pent up demand for these surgeries.  Other than that, not much has changed other than the realization that people are nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
So...uh...how's everyone doing? Tell the truth, most of you discovered day drinking. Some of you discovered it today. Welcome aboard!

Hi! I'm Mihag Gedi Farah. I'm the starving African meme kid and doing fine. (Thanks for sending $100 a year to help feed me Johnny)

MC, don't think I didn't forget about our bet in Politicrap regarding a certain upcoming event...(I'll take a private lesson or just a day skiing with lunch and beers in lieu of the predetermined amount. )
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Johnnyonthespot wrote
MC, don't think I didn't forget about our bet in Politicrap regarding a certain upcoming event...(I'll take a private lesson or just a day skiing with lunch and beers in lieu of the predetermined amount. )
What was the bet again? You're not the idiot that bet me that Trump would win by a bigger electoral vote margin than 2016 are you?
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
MC2 5678F589 wrote
onscott wrote
Wow, Brownski, your question was genius in a way. Nothing like separating the "I want my mommy" crowd from the "let's get back to work" crowd.
Yes, clearly there are only two ways to think about it, and "I want my mommy" is one of them What happened to your first prediction, man?
onscott wrote
That said here is what I believe will happen: 1) President will minimize and/or fire Dr. Gloom (Fauci) and Dr. Doom (Birx). My guess is this will happen tomorrow..
Last evening, Dr. F was given about 2 minutes of time; this evening, 0 minutes. His 15 minutes of fame is over; doomsayers have a short half life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Johnnyonthespot wrote
What was the bet again? You're not the idiot that bet me that Trump would win by a bigger electoral vote margin than 2016 are you?
Nice try. The bet was he would win if he ran again, period.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Also, no. I was the guy that predicted closer than any of you what the last elections electoral votes would be. Most laughed at me. I laughed at you
Hahaha!
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Sure. If you think Trump is gonna win with 20% unemployment and 50,000 deaths from a pandemic he failed to adequately prepare for, then you certainly have predictions.

What do I get if I win?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
. If you think Trump is gonna win with 20% unemployment and 50,000 deaths from a pandemic he failed to adequately prepare for, then you certainly have predictions.
Oh shit, didn't realize Trump has a plan for that:

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
If you vote against Trump you are voting for Biden.  Just sayin’.  I mean, I usually don’t watch much Presidential debate but, boy, Trump-Biden debates are gonna be a hoot!

Hope that wasn’t too political or construed as an attack on anyone.  You guys are talking election, this is just my neutral view on the ponies in the race.

Seriously, Trump would lose if the Dems has a better candidate.

That’s going to be the problem with the Renaissance Revolution (that’s what I’m calling the World’s rise from the Coronavirus ashes), that the best we can do as a nation in Trump-Biden.  I hope some other countries have some visionaries because we’ve, apparently, got squat.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
JTG4eva! wrote
Seriously, Trump would lose if the Dems has a better candidate..
This isn't true, though. Biden polled better against Trump than the 23 other options in the Democratic Primary. That's why he won. The Democrats' #1 priority is beating Trump and they picked the guy they thought had the best chance. They might be right, too. Biden is winning in Arizona polls: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/az/arizona_trump_vs_biden-6807.html

Getting back on topic, I would love to hear about this "Renaissance Revolution". Please tell me what you think will happen (differently from how it was before Coronavirus), what countries will implement what policies, and how this "revolution" will correct the very real environmental and economic problems the world faces.
1 ... 3456789 ... 15