classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
160 messages Options
123456 ... 8
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where this weekend?

snoloco
And you're full of shit too.  You just want the lifts to be closed so you can hike and have it to yourself.  Pay for a Hermitage Club membership if you're too entitled to ski on the same mountain as anyone else.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Whiteface has great conditions and coverage
Agree
snoloco wrote
but had really long lines ...
So the lines were longer than I would have expected for 4/21, but I wouldn't say "really long".  I wasn't using a watch, but my guess would be 5 minutes, max, with face lift much less. I was however stuck on the gondola for ~15 minutes.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
No one rides the Facelift in the spring.  Even when they closed the gondola there was hardly anyone on it.

On both Mt Run and LWF they were intentionally skipping chairs which I've never seen them do before.  If this is a long term thing that's really bad news.  The line at LWF was out of the ropes for quite a while in about the first hour after the gondola closed.  I didn't time it but it was definitely over 5 minutes (probably close to 10) but was quite a bit shorter than the gondola line when that was the only thing open.

I really have no idea why they shut down the gondola so early.  I avoid it (and any gondola for that matter) in the spring anyways because having to wrestle with wet slushy skis and walk through all the slush and puddles sucks (especially when you have to stand in line) and spring conditions require more effort to ski in which makes me too hot.  I rely on cooling off on the chairs.  However, lots of people do lap the gondola and it would've kept some people off of LWF if they kept it open.  They had the staff to run both and if it had to be closed due to a mechanical issue they could've moved them over to Mountain Run.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Still haven't decided where- logic and common sense say Gore but...

Gore will be good.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
You just want the lifts to be closed so you can hike and have it to yourself.  
Awww, come on Snobro....it’s not about that at all.  Really, you’re gonna jaw at the 50 year old dude “keeping it all to himself”?  I’m not special, and with your less than half my age legs you could have lapped the summit quicker than me, even hiking.  If there were a dozen of us earning turns easily half were hiking!  You wanna be a local start acting like one!   But even if you didn’t choose to do that, it’s April 21 and you still had 2,000 vert of wall to wall Spring goodness without a brown patch to be found unless you went looking for one.  On top of that lift lines were non-existent.  Sure, maybe I got lucky and hit it just right every time, but I rode each lift that was open a couple of times and never waited more than 5 minutes.  Heck, even if you hit it “wrong” every time there is no way you waited more than 10.  And you are complaining about long lift lines?  That’s the full of shit.  

Really, the way you post it seems like you spend so much time worrying about the horrific shit that is going “wrong” around you that you are missing the gift of a day like today was!  You really gotta work on that.....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Brownski wrote
Still haven't decided where- logic and common sense say Gore but...

Gore will be good.
Thanks Harv. That’s most likely where I’m headed
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
You don't get it do you.  If it's a sunny Saturday with snow the past week and two bad weekends preceding, you expect people to show up and run more than two lifts (they had 3-4 scheduled to run).  I get it that the Summit Quad had mechanical problems relating to the top being iced over.  Apparently the com line got caught on a chair.  If you can't run one of your scheduled lifts and it results in lines at the others, you run another lift if you have one available that will take load off the ones already scheduled to be open.  In that case that could've been running the gondola after LWF was open or if that wasn't an option running both LWF and Mt Run.  This isn't the first time they had a lift closed for a valid reason (mechanical or weather related), and then just sent the staff home rather than opening a different one that was available and would've helped a lot given the business levels today.

That being said, the afternoon turned out pretty well and tomorrow should be even better.

BTW I heard today was a shit show at Killington.  They only ran 4 lifts and filled up all the K1 parking and then didn't have shuttles to bus people up from Snowshed and Ramshead lots.  Snowshed, Ramshead, Needle's, and Bear all had enough snow and were closed even though they had enough people to warrant opening them.  Comparatively, Whiteface did pretty well.

I think it's great that so many people wanted to ski in the spring.  Could be grounds for everyone across the industry staying open later in future years.  But the ski areas need to hold up their end and run some more lifts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Sno,
Gratitude, bro. You’re a lucky kid. Be happy. At least lead with the good stuff and tone down the bitching a little.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Gore was empty today. Half the upper lot had cars.

Only the freaks still want to ski!  
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Harvey wrote
Gore was empty today. Half the upper lot had cars.

Only the freaks still want to ski!  
Prospect had awesome coverage and a packed parking lot yesterday.  Most of the people there, I didn't know.  Steve the owner suspects that social media  has people coming outta the woodwork because they're one of the few places with decent conditions.
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
Peter Minde wrote
Prospect had awesome coverage and a packed parking lot yesterday.  Most of the people there, I didn't know.  Steve the owner suspects that social media  has people coming outta the woodwork because they're one of the few places with decent conditions.
Heard there was a wedding there this weekend too.  Bet the bride and groom weren't thinking of snow when they made their plans
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
greyMoose wrote
Peter Minde wrote
Heard there was a wedding there this weekend too.  Bet the bride and groom weren't thinking of snow when they made their plans
Steve worked his butt off for the wedding, then groomed Saturday night. Slept in the lodge. And yes people were skiing Saturday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
This post was updated on .
Heading up the Steffen trail at Prospect yesterday.  Steve thinks there's a chance he'll be open into May.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
This post was updated on .
Harvey wrote
Gunny J wrote
Staying in Lake George Friday and Saturday, Will Whiteface soften Saturday ?
I am wondering the same thing.

We expect a full report from Brooks, with pics, Gunny.

Wow what a weekend Whiteface on Saturday Gore on Sunday.  Took the back way home ,met up with my daughter and had ribs in Oneonta. Whats that Eddie Money song ( I wanna go back and do it all over).

Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Where ‘O where? I think to take advantage of the weather AND my Indy pass I have some serious driving to do this weekend. What are my best bets for Saturday, Sunday, Monday? Should I stray from the Indy list to go out of pocket? Plus, I have crowds to think about too I guess....
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Looks like Champlain Valley is blacked out this weekend.

Is Indy good any time? (I know I should know that!)
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Brownski wrote
Where ‘O where? I think to take advantage of the weather AND my Indy pass I have some serious driving to do this weekend. What are my best bets for Saturday, Sunday, Monday? Should I stray from the Indy list to go out of pocket? Plus, I have crowds to think about too I guess....
Have you been practicing with your uphill gear brownski?

Once there’s enough snow you should head up to Brandon Gap and ski their glades.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Magic is blacked out. The other Indy hills aren’t. Uphill is an option. I have to see which kids are with me.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Looking at the map in the weather thread I'd say Oak and McCauley would be ground zero.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Oak is on the Champlain Valley Card too so I want to get there this year. It’s blacked out though. I’m thinking Catamount and then circle back to B’East on Sunday and hopefully someplace on Monday. Junior has made plans to hit the Crack on Sunday so no second driver.
123456 ... 8