ScottyJack
Right on AS!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

endoftheline
Agree w AS and Scotty J on the weekend conditions. Sat was very good, missed Sunday but Monday was better than Sat. Lots of cars in the parking lots but no lift lines to speak of. Upper Sky was excellent Mon am but lower Sky was fabulous. Snowmakers should be given medals this year esp considering the weather this year. Hopefully we only get a few showers this week and things should hold up nicely.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Four days of awesome skiing in a row ... blue bird skies, minimal crowds, awesome conditions. Given the weather we've had to deal with this winter, the snowmakers and groomers at Whiteface have done a spectacular job! Here's to them.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

ADKarver
When you look at the minimal snow cover, if any, under the Gondola, it is incredible how good the skiing was today and Monday.  WF has blown a tremendous amount of snow this season.  Our friends were amazed at the snow quality, trail variety and the length of the trails WF offered.  Today, we didn't ski the same trail twice, unless we had to get to a lift. The bluebird skies and no wind, didn't hurt either.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
People have been skiing it anyway, but the DAC report from WF says Cloudspin is open today.  Ugh--I wish I could be there.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Cloudspin is open but you'd be wise to stay on the skiers left (far left) or risk major core shots and/or injuries. They haven't blown snow on it at all this yr.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
or the far skier's right!!  Yep, it was real good a few days ago!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
In reply to this post by endoftheline
oh, sides of trails are best? Thanks for the intell!

top left and bottom right, always good!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
Skied WF yesterday (Monday).  Skyward was absolutely stellar, top to bottom.  Will add a pic or two later.
Here are a couple photos from Monday.  What a great day we had at The Face!  Full trip report with photos here.

The contrast of bare ground in Jay makes view of the mountain even more impressive and inspiring than usual:

Yeah, I hate posed pictures too, but I love the way WF's summit towers almost another thousand vertical feet above the Wilmington Trail.  We're standing just below 4000' elevation.

Another posed photo.  Sorry.  But don't you love the crooked goggles and skewed helmet?  My son Daniel (age 7) was super stoked (sorry for that over-used phrase) to ski Skyward.  And he skied it great - that kid doesn't slow me down one bit.  

OK, you made it through my self-indulgent photos.   You really owe it to yourself to take a look at the keeper pics that I used for my full TR.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Nice shots!!! Thanks for sharing. That first one is a beauty.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
That's awesome!  Daniel is da man!

Just as freaky looking from Summit back to Winkytown and seeing all the brown out there...
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
10 inches of POW?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
10 inches at the mid.  six at the base.  No report from the summit yet but I am guessing a lot.  It is packing snow which is a lot better than no snow.    
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
webcam looks so sweet at the mid
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Skined up to 2200 Road.  Snow was wet below mid and drier above.  We easliy were in 8-12 inches on Middle Mac and Lower Mac.  Slide into my bro Nate at mid.  He said 16-inches on Upper Northway.  

Perfect snow for where we are conditions wise.  We get the 12-16inches they are calling for 2night into 2morrow lots of things will be in play!  2B or Not 2B.......  

It was an awesome ski this morning.  Snow was a little dense but def not heavy.  The undersurface was soft not marble.  No wind.  

It was good to watch the sunrise!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
ScottyJack wrote
ScottyJack get this week's positive attitude award.  Dude I like your style.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
The feeling is mutual.  

Heading over now for a full day.  Storm is pushed back a couple hours.  Expecting heavy snow afternoon in2 the evening.  Still calling for 5-10.  Gotta check w/ LH for the real beta.

It's looking like another dawn patrol 2morrow though!!

We do have a good pow vid but need to get it off the "smart" phone and onto my computer.  Will work on it 2night.

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Well????
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
campgottagopee wrote
Well????
Not so much so good ...

Winds were howling so most of the lifts were closed. They only had the Face Lift and Freeway chairs running, and the line for the Freeway chair in particular was nasty.

I hiked up from the Face Lift to On Ramp once, which was enough, to get to Lower Mackenzie which was really nice, but the hike was too much for an old man like me.

Heard tales of people hiking up to the top of Little Whiteface, and I saw a couple of people skinning up as well. Then there were the two boarders who hiked up Lookout Below, now that's dedication!!!

Hoping tomorrow will be a better day!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
I also hiked up to on ramp and promptly got a core shot in high country glades.  Its way too thin to ski those glades safely with so much crap sticking up.

Lift lines were crazy today.  I heard that the reason that the Bear chair did not run is that WF laid off a whole ton of lifies this week and because they were trying to get the Mt Run chair running they didn't have enough lifties to run the Bear lift which caused bigger lift lines on facelift.  Also heard that they sent a patroller up the mt run shuttle lift and he ended up hitting a tower close to the top which ended the day for that lift.  Management then sent the lifties from that lift down in the afternoon to run Bear.  From now on it appears we can expect greatly reduced numbers of lifts running at WF due to lay offs.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
1 ... 45678910 ... 13