classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
256 messages Options
123456 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Whiteface Conditions - Jan 15

Jack the Ripper
Cold again. I think today was colder than yesterday. Lower Mac was the run to ski. Snow tribe had it in a blanket of white all night. It was velvet early and often. Gondi was a must today in order to stay warm. Summit wasn't as good as Saturday and wasnt worth the ride IMO.

They continue to blast the crap out of the WT trail. I wish they had finished lower sky before moving over there though.

It was a cold weekend but there was plenty of snow. I wish I had hit the high county glades between 2200 and 1900 rd. the manomade was blowing in there off lower Mac and the tracks I could see hadn't kicked up any dirt

And tjf is 3 apples high.
A bad day of skiing is better than a good day of working
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How was Whiteface today?

Jack the Ripper
In reply to this post by Powderqueen
Ski daFace Monday. Conditions will be good. it's supposed to be much warmer. At least compared to the last two days.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jack the Ripper
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Powderqueen
Things got rocking late morning (1130am ish) Sat. Summit opened up at noon and sky was quite good.

Lower Mac laps made Sunday worth braving the cold.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions - Jan 14 /15

ausable skier
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
I have video of it.  I don't tell stories and I am a little taller than three feet.  Try slowing down.
TJF - Please post the video - I can't wait to see the 2000 vert of knee deep pow i missed.  For a 6 foot tall skier knee deep is over 2 feet.

There was some wind deposited snow in spots and snow making crud on skiers left on upper skyward.  The road that that takes you to where slide out ends also  had wind blown snow on it but knee deep all the way down sadly did not exist - wish it did - love the optimism but lets keep it real.  I'd say 3rd boot buckle at best for a short couple hunderd of yard at a time.

Totally agree with Jack in that Mac was the run of the day on Sunday.  It was freaking cold - never got to positive digits.  Low winds at bottom but strong wind blowing on top.  Many wind prown trails such as Essex are totally scoured of snow and will be slicker than snail snot until they blow on them again or we get some snow.  The stuff out of the wind is really nice.  Supposed to be warmer Monday and snow on Tuesday.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions - Jan 14

Jack the Ripper
Using your standard of a 6ft skier needing 2ft for knee deep, then 3rd buckle is knee deep for tjf.

Skiers left Saturday was blown in deep early the long way down. Maybe not knee deep but still surprisingly good.
Reply | Threaded
|

freshyslayer
In reply to this post by Jack the Ripper
so good today. Skyward got groomed last night and Mackenzie is soooo nice. everything is really good right now
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by ausable skier
No I don't think I will.  I don't like your attitude. Showing you how to ski the hill does me no good. Knee deep is eighteen inches. If you can't see the Forrest through the trees no my problem.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
I have to agree with TJ here.  It certainly was knee deep - or close enough - skier's right on Skyward Saturday.  That's not really that surprising - the wind had been cranking and it was all wind deposit natural and manmade.  Yesterday, as many have already said, it was all baout lapping Mac.  Tight right behind the guns was smoother but even the bumps were soft.  All in all it was a great weekend - a bit nippy though.  Oh, and Green Bay lost which was a perfect topper for a really nice weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
MLK laps - Upper Skyward to Niagara to Victoria's - Repeat!!!  

I like to call that route The Straight Shot!

Awesome weekend.  Everyday got better.  Approach to Wilderness to 2200 to middle to lower Mac was the trip Sat/Sun!  Paron's skier's left was wind groomed to perfection on Sunday.

Today UpperSky was groomed tight and it was fast w/ super grip!!

WT by Thurs; Friday the latest!

Thank you WF for an awesome MLK weekend.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

highpeakskier
In reply to this post by freshyslayer
Really nice. No one was there especially in the AM. There was suprisingly little ice. Everything was flat  as a board & firm except lower Mac. My first run was down U &L wilderness & I was the only one on it. Of course it was -12 out, that keeps the riff-raff away.
nature gave us a brain, life gives us a mind. (little dog with Rockies Collegiate Peaks in backround)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

endoftheline
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
Yesterday WF was excellent top to bottom. got a later start, about 10:30 and was surprised how warm it was(relatively). Headed straight for the summit and Skyward was amazing, groomed flat with execellen manmade. Made about half a dozen laps down the skiers left , same line down Niagara and it was fabulous, Warp speed with a big grin all the way down. Mountain Run and Wilderness were also great. It's pretty impressive what the snowmaking/grooming crew has been able to do with the crappy snow making weather they've had to deal with this season. They were also blowing on the Wilmington trail, they are shooting for the weekend to open it. Didn't check out Parons at all, couldn't help myself , just couldn't seem to pass up Skyward, but I heard Parons was also very good. Maybe we will luck out and they upper mountain will just get snow today rather than the mix they are predicting.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by highpeakskier
We skied WF Sunday and Monday.  Both were excellent, although more moderate temps on Monday made that the choice day of the weekend.  Lots of excellent terrain choices, even without Lookout Mtn.  Favorite runs were Approach to Mackenzie (awesome both days), Parrons / Follies.  I missed out on Skyward - we were skiing WF as a family for the first time and timing didn't work out for me & the 7-yr-old to ski that, heard it was great though.  Kudos to the snowmakers and groomers who have made all the difference this season.  Here are a few pics, quite a few more from both days in my blog post here.

Inspiring view driving up to the mountain:

Mackenzie.  Great manmade pow, surfy and fun.  Lapped it a bunch of times both days:

The skiers on Victoria make it look crowded.  It  wasn't.  For a holiday weekend, the place was deserted.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
Well done!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

warp daddy
Nice report , WF looks  "choice"
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
No I don't think I will.  I don't like your attitude. Showing you how to ski the hill does me no good. Knee deep is eighteen inches. If you can't see the Forrest through the trees no my problem.

Why not post it? A picture is worth a thousand words
Reply | Threaded
|

Anyone been to WF recently?

Jack the Ripper
Help out those chained to the desk with some current condition reports please.
Reply | Threaded
|

WF Jan 20 conditions

ausable skier
The below is on the website today

Summit Black diamonds closed this am due to conditions

Not sure about the what and whys.  I'm guess that it was really windy and slopes got scoured.  Hopefully they can get back up there an blow again soon.

Going for a few runs at lunch today so will report back later on
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: WF Jan 20 conditions

Face4Me
ausable skier wrote
Crap!!!

I noticed on this morning's grooming report, before they posted the closure, that they had not groomed Skyward & Niagara. Hopefully they can groom them overnight and get them open for the weekend.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jack the Ripper
In reply to this post by ausable skier
ausable skier wrote
The below is on the website today

Not sure about the what and whys.  I'm guess that it was really windy and slopes got scoured.  Hopefully they can get back up there an blow again soon.

Going for a few runs at lunch today so will report back later on
Lunch runs at da Face.  Nice.  Please do report back.  I heard WF got a few inches of natural over night.  Any thing helps.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
Well I'll start my report with what my mom taught me that if you can't say something nice - don't say anything at all

They did as good a job of grooming as possible.  There is frozen gran groomed over the ice so its not horrible and was holding up well on a week day.  This weekend may be another thing altogether.  They claim 2" new but that was no where to be seen.  I did only 2 gondi runs 1) approach to Mt run to valley and the 2nd time Mt run to thruway to drapers.  Avoid drapers its much worse then valley now.  Normally i do more than 2 runs for my lunch skiing but it was not worth it today.

The Summit blacks are closed because the wind blasted them and they are lets just say a little firm.

123456 ... 13